Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Midwest Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
    I'm sure some people ignored it. We had sirens Saturday night, and I know of only 1 other family aside from mine who woke their kids and took them downstairs. I think the sirens are over used, and not used consistently (reason/triggers) across the county, let alone the region. Some cities set them off when there are winds at a certain speed (straight or twisting), some when there is a chance of damaging hail. We went downstairs bc we were on the edge of the scary radar stuff, but Davita's city had sirens, too, and they were out of the "path".
    And I keep thinking about how we didn't go down and we were fine, but we could have easily not been fine. When the sirens went off I woke Erik up, but then he went back to sleep and continued to sleep through the sirens. I was up watching the reports and my bedroom windows were open and I was listening when the storm hit us. It was rough, but like Jenn said we weren't in the "path" and I didn't feel the desperation to drag the kids into the basement. It ended up fine this time. Honestly, I am all torn up over the devastation in Joplin, though not a large city, it wasn't a small city either. Our city only has about 10,000 more people than theirs. It's really horrible.

Comment

I had to relearn what the sirens meant when we moved to MN. Growing up in Kansas if the sirens went off it meant take cover NOW! Here it means there is a weather situation and you should go in and turn on a radio or TV. I agree that because different towns/states use them differently people may not heed them as much.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

So I asked a friend that lives there and she says most of the older houses do not have basements, most of these people just had nowhere to hide.

Comment

So I asked a friend that lives there and she says most of the older houses do not have basements, most of these people just had nowhere to hide.
          That's what it is like in OK & Texas.
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

All the video on the news is total devastation. Glad to hear some of you are ok.
            PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
              I cannot imagine a house in KS, MO, or OK NOT having a basement or at least a storm cellar - that's insane. I mean - we're really lucky in that our "go down to the basement" means "go down to the finished basement w/comfy sofa and turn on the giant TV to watch the path of the storm. If storm seems imminent or scarier, walk 5 steps to the bathroom and put everyone in the shower." It's a lot easier to make the decision to take cover when it's not a real inconvenience.

Comment

So basically the sirens are there to just alert people outside that severe weather is coming take shelter inside, they were never meant to be a warming system for people inside. The rule of thumb I learned was think every storm is the big one!
                Brandi
                Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

SoonerTexan and SusySunshine are so right - around here, tornado sirens do not mean to immediately take cover. (Maybe they should, but they just don't.) When they go off, you immediately check Gary England. He can generally pinpoint the exact area that will be hit, and if you're not in that area, he'll tell you to be ready to take cover, but to stay near the television so you have the most information.

Also, most homes don't have basements. You'd think storm shelters would be more common, but people have been told that inside rooms or bathtubs are safe enough. In most tornadoes, that's true, but there are some that you have to be u underground to survive. (And sorry to gush more about Gary England, but he can usually tell you if one of those is heading your way.)
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                    I cannot imagine a house in KS, MO, or OK NOT having a basement or at least a storm cellar - that's insane.
                    There are quite a few houses around here that don't have basements. This house was one of the few that we looked at that had a basement.

Comment

I agree Jenn, growing up in that area I can't imagine not having SOMEWHERE to go in this situation. It just amazes me. Even if it means reinforcing a closet in the middle of your house - I'd have something!

Comment

Oh Davita - I believe it ... I just can't understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                          I agree Jenn, growing up in that area I can't imagine not having SOMEWHERE to go in this situation. It just amazes me. Even if it means reinforcing a closet in the middle of your house - I'd have something!
                          When my brother and his family moved to Oklahoma he was amazed at nearly the complete lack of storm shelters and basements in homes. People are VERY relaxed. Of course, when there is a storm who do the neighbors go to for shelter? My brother had a shelter installed under their garage. Basically a small concrete room that will keep them safe in a storm.
                          Tara
                          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

That's what we have - the garage storm shelter. I believe basements don't work here. I think they just flood if you try to put one in.
                            Laurie
                            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Ugh, we went driving around last night and several of the hospital owned resident apartments have been condemned the damage is so severe. Right across the street, there is another 2 floor apartment building that is missing several units. They are just gone. But all in all, I am amazed at how the clean-up is proceeding. We have been so lucky.
                              Kris

Comment

Oh no just what residents need to deal with and how many people that were supposed to move into those in the next few weeks are now out of luck? UGH!

Comment

Working...
                                X