Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Make Up Basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make Up Basics

I'm starting to wear make up again. Stopped after my teen years but due to aging I'm picking it up again. I like the natural look and so far have found an under eye concealer and powder from Neutrogena that I like. I have some blush from the body shop but nothing else. I'd like some eye shadow but I'm not too sure what to get or if I need high end brands. I was browsing Sephora online today since ebates has 10% back but most of the shadows come in large sets and are pretty expensive. Dh said to buy some for xmas for myself but I have a hard time throwing down $30 for eye shadow unless it's warranted. So, for those of you more experienced in makeup what say you? As well what other makeup essentials am I missing? My complexion is pale olive with brown hair and hazel eyes.
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

I actually like PurMinerals a lot for their 3-in-1 powder and bronzing powder. We have similar complexions (in theory)

My eyeshadow sucks, so I wont comment.

As for eyeliner, I really like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Almay-Liquid-E.../dp/B004O3ZR34

Foolproof for eyeliner idiots like myself. Physicians Formula makes one too.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

For eyeshadow, I like to just get the cheap stuff (that way I can experiment) and use an eyelid primer (like this one: http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...categoryId=B70). For me, the primer really helps the cheap eyeshadows look better and last longer. I have fairly oily skin (eyelids included) so normal eyeshadow wears off within a couple of hours, but with the primer it stays put for most of the day. I have one of those huge eyeshadow palettes with like 50 different colors, it's a lot of fun .
      Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I use Bare Minerals for almost everything, anymore. I'm usually really hesitant with eyeliners because I've never had one that didn't smear all over. The BM one stays put so I kinda love it. I also just purchased some of their eyeshadow and really like it.

I also don't wear a ton of make-up and prefer it pretty neutral.

Comment

I mostly use Clinique. For mascara, I buy Mary Kay because it doesn't run (at least in my experience). And for eyeshadows I get the cheap stuff. ELF: http://www.eyeslipsface.com/makeup/eyes/eyeshadow 144 colors for 15 bucks. You can also buy it at target. I rarely wear eyeshadow, though. Mostly natural colors.

Comment

I rarely use eyeshadow. I get a lot more milage from a couple swipes of mascara
            M
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I'm also olive skinned with hazel eyes and brown hair. I use Bobbi Brown products mostly. I have early rosacea and most products make my cheeks pink! I'm currently using their Skin foundation and the Eye Brightener (comes in a stick with a brush - under eye concealer).

I got a cream eyeshadow from BB in a purple. I just smear it over my lid and in the crease. If I have extra time I add a bit of highlight (light gold ish color) to my upper lash line and a contrast (purplish brown) to the crease.

I used to use primer, but switched to the cream shadow for ease. Less steps!

I use powder eyeliner with a thin flat brush. I like the Bobbi Brown liner that comes in a glass tub. But it's not in the budget right now. It really takes me just a minute or so to put the liner on.

Maybeline mascara.
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I use a mix of Trish McEvoy and Clinique (don't fall in love with the former, its uber expensive). I use Clinique's eyeshadows, I have 3 sets of 2 colors each that I rotate between - one color is for all over, the other is for highlighting. Pretty foolproof. I think you should definitely find out what are considered neutrals for your eye color/complexion, as well as something that will make your eyes pop.

And the eye primer stuff is awesome. I never used it until I got the Trish McEvoy stuff, and I love it - it makes my eyelids and the colors I put on really stand out. I feel like my eyes look younger, well-rested. This is the stuff here, I use Bare: http://www.trishmcevoy.com/p-29-eye-...ssentials.aspx
                Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

I have sensitive skin, so I go high-end with the face products and cheap with the eyeshadows and liners

* For my super pale, oily skin I like Make Up For Ever powder foundation
                  * Nars bronzing powder (in Laguna) and blush (in Orgasm)
                  * Maybelline mascara
                  * Benefit tinted brow gel
                  * Cheapo eyeshadows from CoverGirl
                  * Stila lip glaze on the lips

I haven't ever worn fake eyelashes, but I'm thinking about trying some out before DH's holiday party this year. If anybody knows a specific brand I should check out, I'd love to hear it.

Comment

Ooh, I love love love makeup! We're on a perpetual budget so this is the best stuff I've discovered with a limited budget.

Foundation: I am a mineral convert and Loreal is my favorite if I want more coverage, Revlon if I want less coverage and more of a natural look.

I used to sell Mary Kay many years ago, so I still use a decent amount of their products but never pay more than wholesale (1/2 off) for them on EBay. I have a palette and fill it with a bunch of different eye shadows. I also use their blush.

The only mascara I'll wear is Maybelline Falsies in waterproof.

Eye primer is key. My absolute favorite is Urban Decay Potion Primer. The one in the purple tube goes on clear which is essential, but Sin is another awesome color and serves both the purpose of primer and a base eyeshadow. This stuff is probably my biggest splurge at the moment but it's only $19.

Come to my side of town and visit Ulta at the Cottonwood Mall. They sell both department store quality stuff as well as drugstore brands. They also have their own brand. Their brand of eyeliners and lipliners are decent quality especially for the price. I bought a ton of them over the summer for a buck or two. They almost always have a coupon for $3.50 of a $10 purchase, which always helps. I'm always up for a trip to Ulta!
                    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Since you're just starting out, I'd highly recommend going with a single brand (either a makeup counter at a department store or a consultant like Mary Kay), and get them to help you pick the right shades for your skin. It can be overwhelming and expensive to figure it all out on your own. Once you've had a few weeks to test out the products you buy from that one visit, you can start trying other colors or brands, since at that point, you'll have a better idea about what you like and dislike about them.

I am a huge fan of Mary Kay. Their products are great, and they even have palette suggestions to make things easier - some are better for everyday, some are more for going out, etc. Their prices tend to be lower, and a great consultant can be a lifesaver.
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

First, foundation primer is critical. I like Smashbox primer.
                        I love that stuff, too.
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I love it too!
                          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I have smashbox eye shadow and it stays all day-- I need to get primer. Smashbox is scary expensive to me, but the only eyeshadow I've used ever that has lasted all day.

I use mostly Clinique stuff and I'm kind of blah about it.

I need a skin tone evener-- anyone use anything good? I have some darker spots in my skin and lighter spots-- very fair skin. Sigh. Getting older sucks.....
                            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Just jumping in on the primer front. Makeup Forever's primer is 80 million times better than smashbox. It is seriously the best thing ever. I'm a makeup junkie, so I'll read these when I have more time tomorrow and chime in.

Oh, and I totally agree on the urban decay shadow primer potion or whatever it's called. It's pretty magical!
                              I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Working...
                              X