Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Holiday fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday fun?

What fun activities do you have planned for the holiday?

We have a handful of adult parties , a gingerbread house building brunch with all the kids, the oldest 2 girls and I are going to see the nutcracker with some girlfirends, a holiday ice show that peers are skating in, and all three girls are going on the polar express train ride -- Hot chocolate and PJs! The ILs are visiting and then we're driving the kids to southern Louisana to see my family. We have 2 weeks off for the break.

-Ladybug

There is a Art Walk event about 5 times per year in our town. Tomorrow is the December and Holiday event. I'm really excited! Santa, horse and buggy rides, and all that jazz for FREE!! We also are planning to do out to a local historic home that will have a evening tour, historical actors, events, and Christmas tree lighting!
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

We're having our "Mad Men" themed fundraiser for the PTA on Friday night. Saturday there's a present making class using recyclables in the 'hood. Saturday night there's a fundraiser for a little girl from Haiti- she was brought to the USA and sponsored by one of the families at Nikolai's school- (and one of the local newscasters) http://www.tpr.org/news/2011/01/news1101121.html, http://last-disaster.com/new/haiti-e...ping-for-haiti, Charlie Robison is playing at the local watering hole. Next week, all of the neighbor women are gathering for an EPIC girls night out. The following weekend we fly to LA/Palmdale for my MILs 70th birthday. We get back on the 20th. We'll get the tree on the 21st and then do the while Christmas thing. My parents come in on the 29th and we're hosting the Annual Bloody Mary Tasting and Holiday Open House on New Years Day. If there are fireworks (we're still in a severe drought) people will come over on New Year's Eve to watch.

I'm tired already.

J

Comment

Well, a lot of it depends on the kiddo! At the very least, I'm planning on driving through Highland Park in Dallas to see the lights--they rival anything I've ever seen before. I'm looking forward to seeing Kris the 17th (is that right?) too! We're staying in Dallas for Christmas and DH's family is coming up for Christmas Day. Keeping it low key this year.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I head back to kc mid Dec for about 72 hours and my sisters and I have a tradition of going to some specific houses on our holiday lights viewing. I am thinking of having a small Chanukah party/game night at my place if I can get my act together. I want to go to some of your events. They sound like so much fun.
          -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
          Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
          Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Nutcracker production crew party tonight. Nutcracker PR event tomorrow. DH's genetics clinic holiday party next Saturday. The second Sugar Plum Fairy Tea next Sunday. Nutcracker on the 17th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd. Rehearsals in between.

I need a nap now.
            Veronica
            Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

We have office holiday parties two days in a row. Mine will be an awkward potluck at the boss's house, and DH's will be an awkward dance party in a hotel ballroom. I say they'll be awkward, and they will, but I'm looking forward to both.

My church choir puts on a Christmas concert the week before Christmas. I'll be playing my flute mostly, plus the xylophone on one song. They do an Epiphany party a couple weeks after Christmas too.

We are also planning to go to a Christmas concert or two around town, but we haven't bought tickets yet. DH wants to see Mannheim Steamroller. And I'm supposed to do a Christmas tea with DH's grandmother and some of his cousins. Which should be... interesting.
              Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

This holiday has just snuck up on me! I can't believe we leave for the in-laws 3 weeks from tomorrow! YIKES!

Anyway, we are hoping to take the kids on a holiday train ride, we still need to do our annual Santa photos and then we leave on the 22nd for a long Christmas weekend at the in-laws. I am excited to finally meet BIL's GF and it should be a nice holiday since it sounds like almost everyone from DH's family will be around. Its not a big family but that doesn't happen often. And its a shorter trip then Thanksgiving so hopefully the kids will adjust better.

No holiday party this year because of budget costs.

DH and I were just talking last night about how we need to decide if we're going to get a tree. There is a lot down the street that says "home of the $8 tree" that we might be able to get behind.

Christmas is going to be fun this year with the kids at 2 and 4!
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                  There is a lot down the street that says "home of the $8 tree" that we might be able to get behind.
                  What a deal! I had no idea how expensive christmas trees were until this year. While I was visiting my parents I saw a sign for trees for $30 a foot... crazy! Our costco had some amazing trees for $44, which seemed much more reasonable, but I could certainly get behind an $8 tree as well! I'm not going to be here the week before and DF and I are leaving to go skiing the day I get back, so not sure it makes sense to spend much more than $8.

I recently got excited about the fact we are new here and I don't need to worry about wearing the same thing to holiday parties as I did last year! DF's residency program usually had three parties around the holidays and it was such a pain to try find that many new things to wear each year (especially b/c it was the end of the semester and I had enough trouble finding time to shop for gifts). Not that I think anyone really remembers (although facebook photos certainly help!)... but I am looking forward to just pulling my favorite dress out this year and not worrying that I've worn it 15 times before in front of the same crowd, lol - I guess this my attempt to view the move in a more positive light!

I am going to miss our annual holiday parties with our friends, and this times of year feels a little bizarre in such a warm climate (although I actually think I kind of like it). But very much looking forward to our post-christmas ski trip (we've never gone this early in the season - so maybe a fun new tradition).

Comment

Where are you going skiing? DH hit the slopes for the first time this season today.
                    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

We're going to Utah (we are actually driving, which should be interesting!).

I've never skied in UT, so should be exciting

You're really starting early! Is it nearby? (I can't see where you are on this app).

Comment

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
                        You're really starting early! Is it nearby? (I can't see where you are on this app).
                        Ah - never mind!You're in CO - I'm jealous! How was it?

Comment

Oh, I didn't get to go. Just DH. I'm here at work. He's at Breckenridge, and given that I haven't heard from him at all, I assume he's having a good time.

I've never skied in Utah either!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                            Oh, I didn't get to go. Just DH. I'm here at work. He's at Breckenridge, and given that I haven't heard from him at all, I assume he's having a good time.

I've never skied in Utah either!
                            Yep - totally misread that, sorry! I'm sure you'll get to go soon - great location this time of year! I've never been to Breckenridge - but CO in general is fabulous.

I'll let you know how UT goes. DF found a ridiculous deal about an hour north of Salt Lake - we're in a very budget vacation phase! But it looks great, and hopefully a little less crowed since it is a bit more out of the way.

Comment

Love Breckenridge, probably my favorite!

And the $8 tree may be a table top but we'll take it this year.
                              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X