Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Summer Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opposite of Suzy - our teen son is taking a school trip to Costa Rica starting Sunday so the adults haven't planned any family trips this summer! Poor little sister gets totally cut out of vacationing fun, I guess. We are hoping to do something small and cheap in July -- maybe a white water rafting trip to PA/WV or a visit to a lake in Michigan.

I also can't believe it's June. Sadly, the whole season of "summer vacation" seems to be slipping away in this family as our kids get older. Activities stretch in to both ends of summer and the only real time off is that we don't have to get up so early each day. Not that I'm knocking that. Sleeping late is awesome. We still have to do some careful planning and canceling of scheduled stuff if we want everyone available to leave town, though.

Jenn, also about to start a can o'worms renovation here. Hold me.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I am bracing myself for a less than chilled out summer. We are in the process of updating the kitchen and it will start in less than a month. DH is going to DC for a month the required Radiology conference thingy that everyone has to go to after 2nd year...so I am with the boys and need to figure out how to survive. I'm thinking of heading down to VA for a family reunion, renting a van and picking up my dad in NYC on the way there. The more adults in the car with me the better..for the children's sake. We also signed E up for camp since DH will be away. I hope to spend some weekends at the Cape but other than that, I just hope to survive.
      Danielle
      Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

I hear you, Angie. This is our (potentially) last summer as a family of
        five (sniff), so we are taking a good old
        driving vacation at the end of July that will include Cedar Point, Niagara Falls, NYC, and whatever that Hershey amusement park is called. DS#1 is at an academic camp at one of the colleges he is interested in this week....we pick him up on Friday and then will be spending the rest of the day with family friends that we never get to see. Saturday we are going to visit my mom (an hour away) and then have plans with another couple that evening. Sunday is Father's Day stuff. (Monday=collapse?)

Other than that, DS#1 is working in the summer child care program when he is in town, about 30 hours a week. He will be in Jamaica for a mission trip for 8 days in July. DS#2 is swimming with a summer swim club. DS#3 is going to a park program every morning. DH is anxiously awaiting the start date of the new doc in the practice....3 will be so much nicer than 2! I am enjoying not having to get up early and am trying to get things done while still reserving time each day to curl up with a book. DH and I will celebrate our 22nd anniversary in August, and we all start back to school the week of August 13. Oh, and I will be full-time this fall....and get a hefty raise, just in time to sock it away for upcoming college costs!
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

We're going to try out Myrtle Beach in September.

We need to re-find our travel groove post-training and post-babies.
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I'm working and dh is studying for USMLE Steps. I really want us to take a camping trip to the CA Red Woods while we live here. I was planning for August when I take a vacation but with my first ever root canal on Monday, dh's Step 1 exam in August, and our car dying repeatedly while driving this week we're looking at more of a "staycation" instead. I guess that could be nice to completely relax and not do anything for a week.
            PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by McPants
              We're going to Amsterdam next week and then in early July we're going to Belfast for graduations (mine and hers). After that we're going to the French Riviera for about 2 weeks (Nice and Antibes mostly).
              Congrats to both of you! I didn't know your wife was this close to being done.
              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, she'll start work at one of the hospitals here in late July. It'll be nice to be a proper two-income household finally.

Comment

Originally posted by McPants View Post
                  Thanks. Yeah, she'll start work at one of the hospitals here in late July. It'll be nice to be a proper two-income household finally.
                  Is the "training" over now? I know it's a different system. DH did 3+ months in England during medical school and I could never understand exactly how it works. Did you have to move for "the job" or staying locally? Sorry we are getting off on a tangent! haha!

Comment

awesome - congrats!
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by McPants
                      She's got two years of paid foundation doctor status after which she'll get to pick a speciality. We had to move to Newcastle in order for me to find a suitable university position, however she was able to find a suitable position at one of the local hospitals fairly easily.
                      I just had my husband translate what exactly you said. I got it now! Congrats again! Be sure to have one of the admins bump you up from the Peds room to the Colonoscopy room/forum! Come on over, join us! LOL!

Comment

That's awesome, McPants!

We survived summer dance intensives. M's Suffolk pointe shoes did not. Thank goodness she had an extra pair of pointe shoes. LOL Regular summer classes start Monday. We are still doing "school" as well since we homeschool year-round. We leave for a few days in the Ozarks next Sunday and then will have a few days in St. Louis. Will be home for July and then in August the kids and I will take my mom, my great-aunt from Panama and her friend to San Antonio for a few days for my Tia's first US vacation. I realized she's been to Texas to visit quite a few times and has never gotten to go anywhere other than Dallas. DH approved my plan but said I need to get two hotel rooms because if she has to share with me and my kids, it won't be much of a vacation. LOL
                        Veronica
                        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by migirl View Post
                          We're heading to a resort in northern Michigan this weekend, DH is giving a talk at a conference so the kids and I are tagging along and getting a (mostly) free vacation out of it.
                          It seems so few people on here do this but we do it almost every time and really enjoy FREE travel. Have fun!!

Comment

I'm taking a 2 day sailing course in July. The rest of the summer will be working for me and daycare for the kids. Hoping to take advantage of the pool/beach and free bowling.
                            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I haven't responded to this thread yet because we have no summer plans really, unless you count unpacking. But I'm loving reading about everyone's amazing upcoming trips! I shall live vicariously through y'all for the time being. DH's last day of PGY1 is this Friday, we move on Saturday and DH starts orientation on Monday, so our "summer" is approximately 48 hours long .
                              Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Our plans are all sorts of exciting. Except not. Moving fucking blows.

Comment

Working...
                                X