Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Loves and loathes (your city)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have another loathe:

Damn dry laws. I need Triple Sec to make Sangria and I have to drive to freakin' kingdom come to find a store that is allowed to sell more than beer & wine.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I love that I can get to water, trees, and mountains within an hour. I love that we have both the flagship Nordstrom and REI. Great food (especially Asian and seafood). I loathe the weather, awful traffic, and granola moms who ask whether or not the milk in my daughter's thermos is from "happy cows." Ok, I don't loathe that, but I find it pretty typical for this city.

And... Not sure if I love or loathe the new plastic bag ban (we have to pay for paper bags now at stores).
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Love: That we both managed to find suitable positions in the same city.
        The city is quite large and has excellent nightlife and sports teams.
        There's a metro so you can get around quickly and cheaply without having to drive.
        Compared to the UK average, it doesn't rain much.
        The shopping here is excellent.
        Close to many other exciting cities (Manchester, Edinburgh, etc) but also moors and quiet countryside.
        Excellent transport links (airports, train lines, etc).

Loathe: Chavs are abundant. They're not bad people, but I have nothing in common with them.
        It's still the UK so it's hardly ever sunny, which is a bit depressing.
        It's a bit of a working class town, so fine art isn't it's strong point.
        It could be closer to London.

Comment

Pros:
          -Love Atlanta's warm weather
          -Very walkable neighborhood
          -Great, well-organized, easily accessible airport
          -Coca-Cola is based here

Cons:
          -Snobby and pretentious
          -Traffic--bad, bad traffic that dictates your life
          -People are generally not very welcoming of newcomers, outside the med world
          -Private school admission nightmare
          -Bad public schools
          -Very label-conscious
          -CNN is based here

Comment

Originally posted by McPants View Post
            Loathe: Chavs are abundant. They're not bad people, but I have nothing in common with them.
            I had to google this; I hadn't the slightest idea of what a chav was, but one site said Rose Tyler was a chav so that I understand
            Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I had to look up Chav--I wonder what the US equivalent would be. Hipster doesn't quite fit!
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I looked it up, too!
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                  I had to look up Chav--I wonder what the US equivalent would be. Hipster doesn't quite fit!
                  Heh, chav is the absolute opposite of hipster.

Comment

Love:
                    Fantastic shopping within a few miles from my house
                    Plenty of wonderful parks
                    Lots of jogging trails
                    Family (2.5-3 miles from my mom & sister, 8 miles from my brother)
                    You can get a good amount of house for your money
                    Great museums, zoos, aquariums, etc., within driving distance
                    Not far from the country
                    The weather can change so suddenly
                    Easy to homeschool in this state

Loathe:
                    Property taxes
                    Google $65 million high school stadium
                    It's like living on the sun for about a month in the summer (like living on Mercury the rest of summer)
                    The weather can change so suddenly
                    Commute to "the city" can be horrendous
                    Veronica
                    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                      I'd never heard of the term either and looked it up. I think the closest American one would be "white trash" but it's not quite an exact match.

Comment

Originally posted by niener View Post
                        I had to google this; I hadn't the slightest idea of what a chav was, but one site said Rose Tyler was a chav so that I understand
                        I hope I'm not the only one who gets this! When I was in the UK one of my friends called the female counterpart of a Chav a Shazzer. Then she had to explain it to me since I had no idea what she was talking about.
                        Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Love
                          History
                          Free Museums
                          Diverse
                          public transportation
                          driving distance to awesome places
                          people love to come visit

Loath

COL
                          Stupid streets. I hate roundabouts.
                          Stupid drivers
                          Political commercials are year round and election commercials start MONTHS before anywhere else.
                          -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                          Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                          Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Pros- made a few really good friends which is huge, low cost of living- we can afford for me to be at home- not really- but we do it anyway leading directly into cons
                            Cons- no jobs outside of medicine, no culture to speak of, no airport, racism is pretty rampant here, um, yeah, 1 year 10 months until we can move!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X