Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What do you eat when you're sick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you eat when you're sick?

I have a nasty cold. I am laying in bed eating the most delicious pizza ever. And then plan on some NyQuil and red velvet ice cream. I eat so bad when I don't feel good
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

I whine to my mom until she makes me her chicken soup -- panamena style (with whole pieces of chicken, yucca, potato, sweet potato, and all sorts of other stuff that I never buy). So yummy. Yes, Panamanian moms baby their kids when they are sick. Even if they are grown!
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I make Lipton chicken noodle soup, and throw in an egg at the end (have you warmed back up to eggs yet?).

For dd, I make white bean chicken chili from scratch. I serve it over brown rice, add cilantro, avocado, and shredded cheese. She loves it!
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Mmmm...I think you need to share the white bean chicken chili recipe.

I eat like crap when I'm sick, too, but not as much as I used to. My kids will totally bust me.
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Soup sounds good. Nope not able eat eggs. Not sure I will eat one again.
          Brandi
          Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

I don't eat much when I'm sick. I mainly drink green tea and NyQuil.

Comment

I sautée 3-4 cloves of minced garlic with 1 chopped onion in about a tablespoon of vegetable oil. I use a large Dutch oven. Then I cut up a red and a yellow bell pepper and add them. I add about 1 tsp of dried oregano, about 1 tsp of cumin, about 1/2 tsp of salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.

Once you've cooked the above until the ingredients are soft (about 5-6 min), I pour in a 48 oz box of Swanson's low sodium chicken broth.

I bring it to a boil, and in the meantime I usually take a cooked rotisserie chicken from the deli and debone it (you can leave the skin on if you like), and try to cube the meat as best I can. Wait until the very end to add the chicken to the soup, otherwise it'll get stringy.

I strain a can of white beans (canellini) dump it in the pot. And then add the chicken.

Salt (usually I don't feel like the soup needs it) and pepper to taste.

I also cook some brown rice and put about 1/2 cup in the soup serving bowls before I pour the soup over it. I also chop up cilantro, sprinkle some "Mexican blend" of cheese (I believe the pack I get is cheddar and Monterey Jack), and squeeze fresh lime over the soup.

From start to finish, it's about 10 minutes of hands on time, and 30 minutes of stove-watching.

Comment

Depends what kind of sick I am. If I'm really flu sick its usually juice, fruit, plain bread. If I just have a cold I find I'm very hungry & tend to gravitate to cheesy bready stuff. Not great but I usually don't feel up to cooking when sick & Dh can't cook at all.
                Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                  I sautée 3-4 cloves of minced garlic with 1 chopped onion in about a tablespoon of vegetable oil. I use a large Dutch oven. Then I cut up a red and a yellow bell pepper and add them. I add about 1 tsp of dried oregano, about 1 tsp of cumin, about 1/2 tsp of salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.

Once you've cooked the above until the ingredients are soft (about 5-6 min), I pour in a 48 oz box of Swanson's low sodium chicken broth.

I bring it to a boil, and in the meantime I usually take a cooked rotisserie chicken from the deli and debone it (you can leave the skin on if you like), and try to cube the meat as best I can. Wait until the very end to add the chicken to the soup, otherwise it'll get stringy.

I strain a can of white beans (canellini) dump it in the pot. And then add the chicken.

Salt (usually I don't feel like the soup needs it) and pepper to taste.

I also cook some brown rice and put about 1/2 cup in the soup serving bowls before I pour the soup over it. I also chop up cilantro, sprinkle some "Mexican blend" of cheese (I believe the pack I get is cheddar and Monterey Jack), and squeeze fresh lime over the soup.

From start to finish, it's about 10 minutes of hands on time, and 30 minutes of stove-watching.
                  This is going into rotation. Yum!!
                  Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I just added this to my recipe book. My kids finally like to eat soups, and it sounds delicious!
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

It's super easy. Add some cayenne (I forgot that part!).

Comment

I like tomato soup with lime and cayenne!
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I eat like crap when I'm sick. Lots of carbs (pasta, breads, cakes) and lots of juice. If my throat hurts or it's chilly out, lots of soup.
                          Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I am sick and as usual I don't eat much when sick...tea or soup is about it and juice...

Comment

I'm trying to deal with this obnoxious cold DH brought home from the hospital. So far today: tea with honey, ludens cough drops, lots of OJ, and tomato soup with cheese and croutons in it.
                              Sandy
                              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Working...
                              X