Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Introvert or Extrovert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introvert or Extrovert

Are you an introvert or extrovert? How has that helped or hindered you in your life? My sister sent me the following article and I thought some of it was interesting:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-of-introverts

I am an introvert. Growing up I always tried to push myself to be more outgoing. Now that I'm older I'm comfortable turning down an offer to go out after work with co-workers because I'd really rather go home and spend some time with my family or have some time to myself. I don't see one as better than the other, just different. I do think that their is something to be said for going out of your comfort zone. I've had some really great experiences when I've pushed myself do something that made me uncomfortable.

I'm an engineer and there's the joke: What's the difference between an introvert engineer and an extroverted one? The introverted engineer looks at his shoes when talking to you, the extrovert one looks at your shoes when talking to you.
    Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Introvert through and through, and proud of it! If you do a quick search you'll find that we've talked about this a few times...and that there are a LOT of introverts on this site.
    Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Introvert...though I do try to make an effort...sometimes. Occasionally I wish I was more of an extrovert but I just like my alone time too much!

Comment

Introvert here, too. I like socializing, but I need copious amounts of quiet time by myself to recharge.

Comment

Yep, also an introvert. Growing up my mom always pushed me to be an extrovert, it was until I was well into my 20's that I discovered I wasn't anti social but rather an introvert. I also enjoy socializing, but at some point need a decent amount of quiet time for myself. As I've gotten older, I've also discovered how crowded places make me crazy and zap my energy. Christmas week at WDW was a nightmare for me, but the week before all the crowds showed up was delightful.
          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Guess the extroverts aren't answering yet because they're all out socializing. Ha!
            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Originally posted by Auspicious View Post
              Guess the extroverts aren't answering yet because they're all out socializing. Ha!
              Ha!

A lot of my friends would probably say I'm an extrovert - but I'm actually an introvert. 75% of the time, I socialize because I "have to" (real or perceived expectations), 25% of the time, it's because I want to (generally one-on-one time with great people). My introverted nature has been the hardest part of parenting. I need to be alone, and that can't include time that I'm asleep. For as awesome as DD is, I look back to my 20 weeks of no work, no baby with great fondness.
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I'm neither. I don't like being the center of attention or a social butterfly, but I enjoy low key social settings and the company of good friends. I enjoy making new friends but don't feel the need to go out every weekend. I am definitely not shy, but I would not be mistaken for the life of the party, either.

I have never been an introvert. In my younger days, I was much more of an extrovert. I am not sure why I've changed over time, but I am considerably more reserved now than I was as a teen/young 20s.

Comment

I am an introverted extrovert, lol! I like to be (mostly) quiet in a group, but I enjoy being around people. I have gotten more extroverted as I've gotten older. I do need down time to recharge, and I am NOT good at socializing on Friday nights after a work week of 220 middle schoolers each day...but being around people energizes me. I just am more comfortable on the sidelines.
                  Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3 View Post
                    ... I am NOT good at socializing on Friday nights after a work week of 220 middle schoolers each day....
                    No lie - I had wine with dinner every night when I taught middle school (and sometimes while grading) You middle school teachers have my utmost respect and admiration!
                    Jen
                    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Total introvert here. This was probably linked to in an earlier thread, and it's 10 years old, but still relevant and true: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...rovert/302696/
                      Sandy
                      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Introvert, although often mistaken for extrovert. If I'm out, I'll make the most of it but need a few days to recover after.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
                          My introverted nature has been the hardest part of parenting. I need to be alone, and that can't include time that I'm asleep. For as awesome as DD is, I look back to my 20 weeks of no work, no baby with great fondness.
                          Same here. I love my children to pieces and think they're wonderful...but I need a LOT of alone time. (which is why I stay up until 4am half the nights of the week.)

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
                            Same here. I love my children to pieces and think they're wonderful...but I need a LOT of alone time. (which is why I stay up until 4am half the nights of the week.)
                            Kindred spirits
                            Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Curegirl View Post
                              Introvert, although often mistaken for extrovert. If I'm out, I'll make the most of it but need a few days to recover after.
                              Me too!
                              Laurie
                              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                              X