Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Houston Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Ideas

So my sister recently left Houston after living there for almost 10 years. Her birthday is coming up next Friday and I'm trying to find her a "houston-like" gift - something that will remind her of "home". I know we have some Texas girls on here - any help??
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

I'm no help, but I think it's a very sweet idea.

Comment

Depends on what she's into. Does she have a favorite sports team? When I think of my time living in Houston I always remember the Astrodome and going to games with my family to watch the Houston Astro's play there, but that was in the 80's. Is there a local Houston business she's a fan of that sales t-shirts? Did she have a favorite place to eat there that sells a BBQ sauce or something she likes and misses from there? Was she into the Space Center at all? How about an "I survived Hurricane Rita" t-shirt?

It's been a long time since I've been back there but two of my siblings were born there. I don't know what it became like during the time your Sister lived there.
      PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

--A gift certificate for a hair salon to get a "helmet hair" hairdo.

--A gift certificate to Shepler's for a pair of ropers

--A gift certificate to House of Pies (on Westheimer) (they don't ship their pies, so she'd have to use it on a return trip)

--Any one of nine million Texas-oriented bumper stickers ("Don't mess with Texas" or "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as quick as I could" and so forth)

Comment

Does she like charm bracelets from Brighton? They used to make State specific charm bracelets. So a Texas one might be fun for her if she likes that type of jewlery. I don't think they make them anymore but you can find them NWT on eBay.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I need help. What was she into? Fav restaurant/local hangout? Museum? For example, I loved Barnabys Cafe. DH and I would go there every time he had a weekend morning off. A shirt or mug from there would remind me of our time there. I also loved the Natural Science Museum...something from their gift shop would be a cool gift. OR what about a cofee table book about Houston? If she liked Goode Company, I know they ship their pecan pies, spices and BBQ.
            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

A bluebonnet picture? They're not quite as pretty here as they are in the hill country, but still pretty nice.
              Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Also, I'm in Houston, so if you need someone to help with pickup and shipping, I'm happy to do that.
                Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Oooh, something like a coffee table book might be good...thanks for the ideas they are helping!
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

James Avery also has Texas charms and is a Texas company.

Other than that, I have to admit I'm not very fond of Houston and cant think of much!
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Ooh, I LOVE James Avery stuff!

Comment

Me too! I think I just condemned us to match in Houston, though.
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

It's not so bad here - I'm actually kind of sad to leave, even though 3 years ago I was not happy about moving here.

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
                            It's not so bad here - I'm actually kind of sad to leave, even though 3 years ago I was not happy about moving here.
                            I was the same way. Just like any giant city, once I figured out how to get around and avoid the traffic somewhat, we enjoyed it. Lot's of great food...and cheap. DH's residency had dinner club where we went to cheap whole in the wall restaurants. There are some awesome places in some very scary wards.
                            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Slight hijack--our issue is where could we affordably live with access to the med center? We have 2000 sq feet in a really nice area now with a 30-35 min commute downtown (sometimes less). I really actually like the area around the med center, but I know we cant afford it. DH's parents live north and FIL has a ridiculous commute downtown. I don't want that, but being near them would be a big deal (MIL will babysit if I continue working). There really is no place that I know of between Spring and the med center that I feel would be a good option for us.

West--Katy, etc. is nice, but too far from everything we care about.

That and the heat. Oh my Lord, the heat. Dallas is bad, but Houston bumps it up a notch. Okay, and the zoning. Zone, people, ZONE.

Comment

Working...
                              X