Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Information about Residency Specialties

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ms.conception View Post
    This is 4yrs of med, plus 5yrs of Anesthesia residency, plus 2(+)yrs of Critical Care.
    Anesthesia makes between 350 and 400k out of the gate working an 80hr work week incl. call.
    So two years of fellowship quadruples your salary? I'd be down with that!
    Alison

Comment

Yup, that's spot-on. They make a shit ton.

Comment

Yep. It's not just two years though, it's two years for Fellowship, plus an addition year to 18 months of post-fellowship education, like a masters degree, on top of your Fellowship. And yes, it does make a shit ton of money. HOWEVER.. as the spouse i'll say that between the brutal Anesthesia residency he's just finishing, and the taking on of another BRUTAL Fellowship for 2 + years... often the pay off of the $$$ doesn't seem worth what our family has lost in time together. My kids have never, ever known their dad to be home. I think i'd rather have less money, and more quality of life, than more money, and my kids never knowing their dad.

Comment

While it sounds very impressive (and it is, in terms of gross earnings) we also pay 47% income tax...
          Yep, this is us with DH's surgical sub-specialty.
          Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Yep. It's not just two years though, it's two years for Fellowship, plus an addition year to 18 months of post-fellowship education, like a masters degree, on top of your Fellowship. And yes, it does make a shit ton of money. HOWEVER.. as the spouse i'll say that between the brutal Anesthesia residency he's just finishing, and the taking on of another BRUTAL Fellowship for 2 + years... often the pay off of the $$$ doesn't seem worth what our family has lost in time together. My kids have never, ever known their dad to be home. I think i'd rather have less money, and more quality of life, than more money, and my kids never knowing their dad.
            It will get better after fellowship, I promise!!
            Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Definitely hear you on that one, and I'm sorry to have been flip. In my husband's specialty, fellowship training can actually reduce your earning potential, which is why I was astonished that fellowship can make such a significant financial difference. Also because I honestly didn't think that even the highest paid specialties typically made seven figures straight out of training. Naive little me!
              Alison

Comment

No offense taken Alison!
                What is your husband doing as his specialty?

Here most programs require Fellow training. We have friends that are orthopedic surgeons that can't be employed until they have a Fellowship or two under their belt.
                My husband can only work 10 months of locum as an Anesthesiologist, and then he will need Fellowship to get a job. I

Maybe you guys should move to Canada!

Comment

Originally posted by weeniegeniewife View Post
                  It will get better after fellowship, I promise!!
                  I'm going to hold you to this!!!!

Comment

Maybe you guys should move to Canada!
                    LOL. I'll get right on that.
                    Alison

Comment

In Canada, do you also have to do the 4yrs of undergraduate (post high school) before the 4 years of undergraduate medicine? If so, you are talking about adding 4 more years! Wow!!!!
                      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Yes. My husband actually did an architecture degree prior to doing a 4yr Hons Biochem degree, then med, then residency... So by the "end" of all of this, he'll have over 20yrs of post-secondary University education. grumble grumble over-acheivers grumble grumble..

Comment

The Canadian health industry is a completely different animal compared to the US. Just being admitted to their schools is miraculous.

Comment

Because physicians are public employees in Canada you can actually look up doctors by name and see what they make! I remember seeing some $1M + earners but assumed they were rare exceptions/worked all the time. I had no idea that it was typical for certain specialties. FWIW EM pays about the same each side of the border, at least from our job hunting experience.

Comment

Yes. the fee for service nature of the industry here means that many Dr's can earn a lot of money or not so much. I have Family Med friends who make 100k/yr working full time, others making 350k/yr working 4 days a week and know of a few who have made 900k (yes, family med), whether or not their billing is accurate and ethical - there was an "expose" in our newspaper a few years ago about a trio of Family Physicians were were top earners in our Province, which is almost impossible unless they're doing one Pap every other minute or so. But what they were doing was working only as walk-in, seeing a patient every 2mins for either Rx refill or throat swab, and billing for it and then group bill.

Comment

bump for neonatologist?? anyone care to describe the life and average salary for an academic neonatologist??
                                Match Day was the happiest day of my life... followed by my wedding day...

Comment

Working...
                                X