Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Information about Residency Specialties

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian or US?

Comment

@ ms.conception: US
      Match Day was the happiest day of my life... followed by my wedding day...

Comment

Hmm... I'm not sure. my guess would be 500k/more because it's one of those super-subspecialized programs.
        As for the life? The demands of super-subspecialized residencies are hard. I can only really speak to our program, anesthesia, but for my friends who have done ICU, PICU the time frame is similar to other intense programs. 100hr work weeks, in house call, lots of call.

After residency/fellowship it's still demanding but more rewarding because they have the Fellows and Residonkey's to bear the brunt of the load, but with those programs/specialities, there is a lot of ongoing education that they have to do - usually Masters or PhD's in their fields, plus research, plus grand rounds, plus presentations, plus more teaching components.

You'll get through it

Comment

1. Oral Maxillofacial Surgery

2. After Dental School: 4yrs OR 6yrs combo DDS MD degree depending on the program you apply. There is not much difference other than the MD is nice if interested in doing specific things like plastics, etc.

3. How long are the work weeks during training? Insane. 60-100hrs. Depends on the rotation you are on/attendings/year you are in of course. Does get better as you move up.

4. What is the in-house/out-of-house call schedule like during training? Again depends on rotation. Avg. q3. But, for example one rotation my H was back up call 22 days out of the month, so always on the phone or possibly have to go in, even after clinic all day.

5. How much does an attending in that specialty earn(when do the big bucks start rolling in) 300,000-500,000 avg.

6. how long are the hours post-training(regular hours) Amazing hours. Set your own schedule. Maybe 1 day a month on call if you would like to keep hospital privileges

7. how much on-call is there post-training(home vs. in-house) No in house. Call from home, rarely.

8. What is a good time to start a family with this specialty(how helpful the spouse can be and vacation times) 3rd or 4th year. We did 2nd year and it was way too hard.

9. How much vacation time do you get post-training? during program 4 weeks and after is dependent. Most have their own business so whenever you want!

10. What type of people generally tend to go into the specialty: Not sure? People who are gluttons for punishment and think sleep is overrated. hehe. : )

Comment

Wow, Canada sounds great. DH would have to do a fellowship to qualify, but what the hell for that kind of money, I'm down with it. We're also getting taxed at 47% (thanks AMT) but for a salary that's 3 times less.

For the record, DH's anesthesia residency was also pretty brutal. Only one other resident in his year had kids because it was his second career, about half were married. That's why we waited until he was done to have kids. His hours now are about 50-60 a week.

Comment

1. What type of Residency: ie internal medicine, ob, fp, er, etc.
              Family Medicine

2. How long is the residency (and specialty stuff afterward and the possiblilities that will make our spouses be slaves longer)

3 years, possibility of year long fellowships.

3. How long are the work weeks during training?

At a fairly humane program, my MD is averaging between 68-74 hours a week, depending on rotation. On the more strenuous rotations, 80 isn't uncommon. Usually the typical 6 days on, one day off.

4. What is the in-house/out-of-house call schedule like during training?

Most of the rotations are 8-5pm schedule. She has 4 weeks of night float, with alternating night call/day call one day on the weekends. Generally one day of late call a week, usually to 10 or 11 p.m.

5. How much does an attending in that specialty earn(when do the big bucks start rolling in)

I believe the median salary is $180k.

6. how long are the hours post-training(regular hours)

It can very alot depending on what you do afterwards. Hospitalists, OBGYN, etc generally pick up more hours. For outpatient clinic, something usually closer to 7-7p 5 or 6 days a week.

7. how much on-call is there post-training(home vs. in-house)

Again, very dependent on sub-specialty. You have options to do with your career what you choose.

8. What is a good time to start a family with this specialty(how helpful the spouse can be and vacation times)

Not during residency? It really depends on the spouse's situation, however. Depending on your program, it may have a tendency to be supportive of building a family. Depending on what you do afterwards, it can be easy or difficult to get the necessary flexibility.

9. How much vacation time do you get post-training?

A couple of weeks a year, depending on where you end up and what you're doing with it.

10. What type of people generally tend to go into the specialty (ie. peds people are more child friendly....neurosurgeons are hard to talk to....plastics spouses are superficial...)

FM people tend to be the types who are very interested in building relationships with patients and communities, in a more social justice type way (i.e. hippy-dippy folks). The specialty is obviously more laid back than others, and that personality definitely shows in the FM residents and doctors I've met along the way.

Comment

I would agree with your take on things, particularly the personality types. FMs typically have better than average people skills.

Salary can sometimes vary a lot, depending on location and which, if any, fellowships were involved. When we were job hunting in this last year, average starting pay was around to $140K-$160K/year. That excludes rural with OB. Pay for that combo is significantly higher.

Comment

Can anyone out there comment on IM residency followed by Hem/Onc fellowship? We're still early in the game but that's what it's looking like right now. I'm starting to wonder how it all works... Will we focus the residency search on IM programs that have a Hem/Onc fellowship at the same site? Or is that irrelevant? I know it's way early, but DH is working on setting up his Hem/Onc elective rotation so I'm getting curious.
                  Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I don't have much to add except our neighbor does Hemotology and he is around a lot.
                    Needs

Comment

DH accepted prematch here precisely because they have hem/onc but we are realizing we do not want to stay here forever. Also, since the fellowship here is not with a teaching institution, he's afraid he will have trouble getting a position in the south once it's done, and we will be stuck here. We are looking to get back to TX and the ideal would be MD Anderson, although very competitive. His case is different because he did a one year fellowship at MD A since he was fresh out of oncology residency in another country and that's where he got his letters of recommendation for residency. He doesn't think that will help get back in though. The thing is... now he's not sure what to do because after working ER, that's what he liked most out of all services. Now he is considering doing another residency (after IM is done :/) in ER. He met many there who ended up switching to that after realizing how great it is to be able to just admit or discharge and go home without getting paged. So I guess don't base it on them having hem/onc unless you want to stay there or it's a strong program/teaching institution... Someone else might know more since he's PGY2. I would say go for ER haha.

Comment

We know someone doing family medicine also wanting to switch to ER and says he has seen openings for ER that start at almost 300k.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
                          Can anyone out there comment on IM residency followed by Hem/Onc fellowship? We're still early in the game but that's what it's looking like right now. I'm starting to wonder how it all works... Will we focus the residency search on IM programs that have a Hem/Onc fellowship at the same site? Or is that irrelevant? I know it's way early, but DH is working on setting up his Hem/Onc elective rotation so I'm getting curious.
                          We mostly looked for programs that had the fellowship DH wanted available at the same site. We ended up wanting to stay and being able to, so I'm glad we had that option. But loads of people change their minds about these things, and it certainly isn't essential.
                          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                            We mostly looked for programs that had the fellowship DH wanted available at the same site. We ended up wanting to stay and being able to, so I'm glad we had that option. But loads of people change their minds about these things, and it certainly isn't essential.
                            Ditto. Also, the fellowship program at your local institution might not take residency graduates from that program. It sounds a little wacky, but this is the case for us, and we'll most likely have to move anyway. You might also want to spread your wings of your own free will and explore other options. Having the fellowship you're interested in at the same institution may be helpful, but you never know how things will turn out.
                            Cristina
                            IM PGY-2

Comment

Originally posted by NelYH View Post
                              DH accepted prematch here precisely because they have hem/onc but we are realizing we do not want to stay here forever. Also, since the fellowship here is not with a teaching institution, he's afraid he will have trouble getting a position in the south once it's done, and we will be stuck here. We are looking to get back to TX and the ideal would be MD Anderson, although very competitive. His case is different because he did a one year fellowship at MD A since he was fresh out of oncology residency in another country and that's where he got his letters of recommendation for residency. He doesn't think that will help get back in though. The thing is... now he's not sure what to do because after working ER, that's what he liked most out of all services. Now he is considering doing another residency (after IM is done :/) in ER. He met many there who ended up switching to that after realizing how great it is to be able to just admit or discharge and go home without getting paged. So I guess don't base it on them having hem/onc unless you want to stay there or it's a strong program/teaching institution... Someone else might know more since he's PGY2. I would say go for ER haha.
                              Your DH is wanting to finish his IM residency and start over with a ER residency?! OMG, I would have a massive fit!
                              Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I would first make him look at jobs that don't require board certification. The reality is, many places that can't attract BC emergency physicians will hire FP or IM (and not have them see kids). Theres just too great an EM shortage. We had a one residency rule in my house.

Ps - no one let my DH know I dispensed this advice. I condone this as a spouse, not a healthcare professional.
                                -Deb
                                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Working...
                                X