Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I'm an introvert and I own it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm an introvert and I own it

Phew!

I know we've talked MBTI here before, but here's my story: We had to take an 'official' MBTI as a part of my assessment class. Our results came back yesterday and I scored as an introvert. Interestingly, I didn't score as introverted as I am because I tried to correct my answers as I went to look more extroverted. For whatever reason (cultural, etc) I have believed that being an introvert is really less desirable. I've tried really hard to be extroverted. I can 'act' like an extrovert because I know what that looks like. I wish I was more socially gregarious. I'm just not.

So yesterday, our professor had us break up into two groups as a class. Introverts and extroverts. Each group went to one side of the room and we had to figure out what we liked about being introverted/extroverted, what we wish was different, and ... what bothers us about introverts/extroverts. LOL. Immediately, the differences in the groups were clear. We introverts sat quietly in a very small group talking about being able to be comfortable being alone, enjoying quiet, not needing the company of others to feel happy/okay. The extroverts? The group was so loud that our professor had to remind them to "ssshhhh". They talked about the benefits of being charged in the company of others and having easy conversations and how annoying it is to be with an introvert where they felt like they had to drag conversation out of them. It's funny, but because I prefer more quiet and less talking, I have the opposite response. When I'm in the company of others I feel like I have to carry on a conversation in order to not make them feel uncomfortable, so I often talk or bring up topics not because I want to talk, but because I want to ease their discomfort of us not talking. LOL

Last night was the first night that I felt okay with being an I though. I realized that there are a lot of people who feel the way that I do and that it's okay to just be how I am instead of trying to be more E to fit in with others.

What do you like about being an I or E? Are you comfortable with this or do you try to be more introverted or extroverted than you really are?

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I honestly don't know what I am. I think I'm on the introverted side, but I'm really not sure.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I think I am right down the middle (but I don't remember my exact score). As I get older, I enjoy solitude and quiet more than I did when I was younger. BUT, I truly enjoy being part of a group as long as I know that I can get away and be alone afterwards. I think part of it is my ADD, the quieter (chaos wise, not necessarily noise specifically), the happier and more centered I am. But, I have so much fun when I am with a group, but it can take a while to settle my internal turbulence back down afterwards.
      Kris

Comment

I'm super-I, and I completely own it and always have. My best friends and I would get together when we were kids...and sit and read our books together. You should read "Quiet" http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-In.../dp/0307352153 The author has a TED talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_...ntroverts.html
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
          I think I am right down the middle (but I don't remember my exact score). As I get older, I enjoy solitude and quiet more than I did when I was younger. BUT, I truly enjoy being part of a group as long as I know that I can get away and be alone afterwards. I think part of it is my ADD, the quieter (chaos wise, not necessarily noise specifically), the happier and more centered I am. But, I have so much fun when I am with a group, but it can take a while to settle my internal turbulence back down afterwards.
          That's the definition of Introversion. Even if you LOVE being in groups..if you have to "recharge" afterwards...you're an introvert. If being in groups recharges you, and being alone makes you itchy for noise and other people, THEN you're an extrovert.
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
            That's the definition of Introversion. Even if you LOVE being in groups..if you have to "recharge" afterwards...you're an introvert. If being in groups recharges you, and being alone makes you itchy for noise and other people, THEN you're an extrovert.
            Well, then, I guess I am a very gregarious introvert because there are times where I do crave people, but mostly I am content to putter around my house.
            Kris

Comment

I'm an introvert and I own it

I am absolutely introverted and wouldn't change anything other than the extroverts who won't leave me the fuck alone.

I have embraced my anti-social tendencies. Thankfully, DH is similar and it works well for us. I'm an INFJ and he's an INTJ.

Comment

I'm a very happy and easy going ambivert. I truly am comfortable with either group.
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                  I'm a very happy and easy going ambivert. I truly am comfortable with either group.
                  Except it's not about what group of people you get along with. It's about whether being social in a group "recharges your batteries" or solitude does.
                  Sandy

Comment

Is there anywhere to find this test online? I'd love to know how I'd score.

I think I'm extroverted but not overly so. Friends, however, tell me I'm super duper extroverted.... I guess there is a difference? Anyway, I'd love to know for sure.
                    wife of a PGY-2 anesthesiology resident & mother of one adorable baby girl

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                      Except it's not about what group of people you get along with. It's about whether being social in a group "recharges your batteries" or solitude does.
                      I know, which is why I am a true ambivert and happy with it. Either group does. Honestly I recharge my own batteries whether I'm in a group or alone. It is just my way.
                      Tara
                      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Definite introvert here. Being with others exhausts me. I'm fine with it. I think its an advantage when it comes to the medical lifestyle as you have to do so much on your own. I've learned how to put myself out there, make conversation etc. I don't need anyone to draw me out,

Our society praises extroversion and nerdifies introverts. Its natural that you would feel that you need to be extroverted to be liked. Totally not true though!
                        Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Sometimes I need and crave a group to recharge. Sometimes I want to be alone. It depends on the group. Sometimes I'm outgoing. Sometimes I'm a wallflower. I really don't know where I am.
                          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Heidi, that's me as well! I think I lean toward the extrovert side, but I have no clue. I've never gotten the same score twice on that test.
                            I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
                              Heidi, that's me as well! I think I lean toward the extrovert side, but I have no clue. I've never gotten the same score twice on that test.
                              Y'all are likely ambiverts
                              Tara

Comment

Working...
                              X