Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Giving $ to people on the street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, I've never had anyone be anything but extremely kind when I offer them food. I usually get a "Thanks and God Bless" when I give it. I know that some people have encountered people who clearly only want money but that's not a reason not to try and help people who need it in my mind. If I got that reaction, I'd just assume that person wasn't truly in need but I don't want to use the threat of one bad experience to not give at all if that makes sense.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Generally I don't because 1) I don't carry cash and 2) when I am in the city (not often) they are on every block... How do you decide.

Oddly enough there was a young woman with a sign at an intersection in the suburbs on my drive home tonight. It caught me so off guard and it's sooooo cold right now and since I happened to have $5, I gave it to her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

I'm probably more on the jaded side but if someone comes up to me and the impulse strikes --- to do anything -- I will. Not that my impulse/intuition is always right but I have learned to trust it. DH has seen so many people "abusing the system" this trait drives him nuts but I don't care. Even after working in shelters and seeing the flip sides to all things, I don't effing care. If something strikes a chord I listen.

Comment

generally i don't give, however, the wife and kids like to give. i don't stop them since it's their choice. in the last few yrs, i seen an increase in number of females with children begging. to me, that's should be a crime. they(mother or non) should not be using children to beg. supposing, some drug the babies to keep them quiet so it's easier to beg(google/india). also, it encourage some people to kidnap babies for use in the begging trade. please don't give to mom's who beg with the kids. basically, it encourage child labor. it's rare for people in (nyc) to go hungry since there's so many free programs. in some asian countries, you can see true poverty where some people dig through garbage for food.. i haven't seem that in nyc for a long time.

Comment

I don't give, ever. What we DO do, however, is donate to Meals on Wheels for the elderly, the local Food Bank, and the Backpack for Kids program (the local schools identify kids in need and send them home with backpacks full of food every Friday so they don't go without over the weekend.)

Having seen the system being worked countless times, I am very jaded.

Comment

I felt like along Market St., there was quite a bit of panhandling.
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I give them nothing and I wished they'd not touch my car while they panhandle.

I used to give food when I lived in StL, especially in the winter. Then one day some dick took the apples I have him (and he voluntarily took) and he threw them at my car, screaming that he wanted money for beer.

Now I give nothing to any panhandler.

I give generously at my church, which has several street missions.

Comment

I used to give a few bucks, but I don't anymore. Saying no inflammes my guilt complex. I'm Catholic, and guilt is an unavoidable part of my genetic makeup.

When we were visiting Chicago we went to Mass at their downtown Holy Name Cathedral. The priest offered a helpful sermon on this very topic. He admitted that it was hard for him not to give a few dollars because you're face-to-face with another human in need and saying no feels somehow wrong, but the various homeless shelters provide consultation and access to social services of greater benefit to them long term. Receiving money on the street may delay them finding these bigger services. He said long term, our money was more helpful in supporting these social services.

We have a amazing city mission rescue program here. They offer huge holiday meal services and volunteer opportunities, along with their daily meal services. They do a lot of drug and addiction counseling. They offer mental health counseling. They also have a free medical clinic on Tuesday and Thursday nights. When our kids are a bit older it would be nice to participate in that.
                  Last edited by Ladybug; 01-03-2014, 12:18 PM.
                  -Ladybug

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
                    Backpack for Kids program (the local schools identify kids in need and send them home with backpacks full of food every Friday so they don't go without over the weekend.)
                    What a great program!
                    -Ladybug

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
                      What a great program!
                      We have a similar program in KC and we were impressed with how little it is to feed one kid for the year. We added them to our donation list in 2013.
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Today I had someone knock at my front door asking for gas money. I never have cash so I had to say no.
                        Kris

Comment

Working...
                        X