Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Musical thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musical thread

Just for fun:

Did you take lessons when you were growing up? (instrument, voice) Do you keep up with it as an adult?

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I played the trumpet, piano and took voice lessons.

I've not kept up with any of them. The piano in our home goes unplayed. I have started taking violin lessons (but I really stink!)

Kris

Comment

I took piano lessons as a kid. I think it ended not long after band started up in 5th grade, and I took up the clarinet for that. My experience reading music gave me a leg up, and I enjoyed being in band. I played clarinet through high school (concert+symphonic band, marching band), but pretty much stopped after that. First college I went to didn't have a band/orchestra (that I know of), and I might have been interested in marching band at the big university I transferred to, but by that point I hadn't played in 3 years, and a roommate WAS in the marching band (flute), and HATED the director. So I didn't bother. I've though about joining an adult community marching band, and may at some point, but haven't yet.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I took Piano. I loved it. Then I started to try and play higher level pieces but my hands never grew big enough for me to reach an octave. I see all these little prodigies playing piano now, and wonder how they do it, but as a moody teenager I didn't have the thought to look into that, I just quit out of frustration. I wish I hadn't.
        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Total music geek here raising other music geeks. I play flute, piccolo, clarinet, alto sax, tenor sax, and bari sax.

Comment

I took 7 years of piano. I took a few lessons as an adult to refresh and help my kids. I play there pieces now and work with them.

I played flute for a couple of years for middle school band.

I dropped all the music and took up dance in high school. I wish I had stayed with it though.
            -Ladybug

Comment

I played clarinet in a junior high band when I was in elementary. I taught myself piano. I play nothing now.
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I played piano (started at 4yo) and violin (started at 7yo) until I finished high school, played in competitions and toured Europe and Australia/New Zealand.

Then I went to college and just ... stopped playing.

We bought a piano a few years ago and my boys take lessons now, so I've started playing that a bit again. Haven't gotten my violin out yet, though.
                ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I played piano from Kindergarten until senior year. I loved being able to sit down at a piano in college and play something impressive. We had a piano in my building so that was doable. I continued playing just for flu with a piano we inherited from relatives until my first kid was about 2. The second kid killed any free time....

My son has no interest past what is required in our district ( 4-7th grade have music lessons). My daughter plays piano,clarinet, flute, saxophone and bassoon. She's never happier than after her bassoon lessons and she loves clarinet in marching band if only for the social life. (She says musically it's a breeze.) Total music geek.

Angie
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Some of you make me seem like such a slacker! I took piano lessons from 2nd-12th grade and voice lessons for three years in high school. I use both to perform...for my kids and husband. But, I find music such an awesome source of stress relief!
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                      she loves clarinet in marching band if only for the social life. (She says musically it's a breeze.)
                      I can corroborate this. Sometimes the parts are *ridiculously* simple.
                      Sandy
                      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Piano lessons, voice lessons, viola lessons, and percussion lessons. I was in band, choir, an orchestra during high school and loved every minute of it. Majored in music ed in college with voice as my principal instrument. I teach middle school choir and play piano/sing almost every day.
                        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Wow! You guys are all so multi-talented!

Comment

I took piano lessons when I was young but was never really that interested and didn't continue for long. I played flute from 2nd or 3rd grade through freshman year of high school. I did marching band in 9th grade but enjoyed it more for the social aspect than the playing. Several songs I fake played since I hadn't memorized/practiced the music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

I took piano lessons starting at 5 years old, through a couple of years of college, with a couple of years off during high school. I still can play, but I don't make time very often. I'm trying to start playing more though to get E interested, but I lost the rack on my piano in the move and it's hard to hold up the music.

Oh, and I played the clarinet for a year in 5th grade. I played in the orff ensemble at school that year too.
                              Last edited by alotofyarn; 04-08-2014, 10:46 AM.
                              Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Working...
                              X