Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What other career could you imagine for your spouse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What other career could you imagine for your spouse?

What if they hadn't chosen medicine? Based on what you know of their strengths and weaknesses, what careers would have been a good fit?
    I think dh could have worked as an attorney. He thinks he would have been a history teacher but I don't see that for him. I could also imagine him in politics.
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

When I met my DH, he was an architect. He also wanted to be a sculptor. I could see him doing either of these or construction - but he likes to make more money, frankly.

Angie
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

He should have been an artist. He has the talent and personality for it.
      Kris

Comment

Well, DrK had another career. He was a corporate accountant and intended to go into business. While he is good with numbers, I couldn't seen him in accounting. If he hadn't done medicine, he would have ended up in scrap metal recycling. However, he always wanted to be a fire fighter or paramedic.
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Pilot. You can't panic when shit hits the fan. Just like anesthesia.
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Engineer of some kind. Computer/Electrical/Biomedical.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Probably what he was doing before this whole adventure: computer programming. He could probably go back to it. Assembly language and C++ haven't changed much since he quit to do med school.
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

nothing.

Comment

No idea! Something active, because he can't sit still.
                  Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

What other career could you imagine for your spouse?

Last edited by JDAZ11; 08-20-2014, 05:55 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't even know what to choose and he's technically not even a doctor get. I'd say some kind of engineer but when we're in a fight and he's nitpicking over semantics I would say a lawyer. When we first started dating he briefly intended to get a phd in biochemistry and become a professor. He would have hated that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Maybe some sort of teacher? He did work as a systems analyst for a brief period, and he did pretty well at that for someone who had zero formal computer training.
                        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Hmmm, good question. I can't think of anything else. I could see him moving into administration but not ever giving up practicing.
                          Tara
                          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Something equally nerdy or an attorney (I think he likes to argue). He was getting a Ph.D in Engineering before he dropped out and decided on med school. He has a degree in Physics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It would have to be something that requires a lot of creativity and problem-solving. Maybe a PhD researcher, probably in physics or biochem. Either that or an architect. But, on second thought, he probably would have been an awful architect because, while he's certainly got the creativity and attention to detail for architecture, I can't see him compromising with clients on design. Yeah, definitely a researcher...
                              PA and wife of a PGY2 in neurosurgery. And "cat-mom" to the two sweetest cats anyone could hope for.

Comment

Working...
                              X