Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

My dying VW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dying VW

So 6 months ago I had plans of replacing the engine/tranny when they went and of getting a really cool paint job when I won the lottery. What a difference a few months make. She has been in the shop every month for some repair and now little things are falling apart. There are several areas of rust bubbling up over and under the glass on the front/back windshield/glass window. The leather strap used to pull the back hatch closed snapped off. And now. My front door won't open. The door lock mechanism went bad on it. In order to get in and out of the vehicle I have to climb through the passenger seat. It looks ridiculous when I do it and it's totally awkward. The van sits high up off of the ground and I have to jump in and then slide my way across seats. My mechanic is seeing us (again) on Friday but he cautioned me that he may not be able to get the door opened in order to fix the lock mechanism "bring it in anyway, maybe we'll get lucky". I sure hope he can get he door open because I'm not ready to jump ship yet and get another vehicle. The engine is still good and I want to take it as far as I can. We have college costs for the kids that we're floating and other financial priorities. Kris's new vehicle does not make the cut for 6 months. I may be climbing in and out of that car for quite awhile.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Sending easy VW repair mojo. I still miss our '07 touareg TDI V10. I should have had more faith in it...he just got too costly last year and we gave up. I still miss that vehicle...and its going on a year now since we had to part.
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Good luck! I hope he can patch her up again!
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I'm sad to read this. I hope a repair is possible!
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

You know, we got to the point with mine that the monthly repairs were by far eclipsing the cost of a monthly car payment. If you get there, you might just considering buying something else vs throwing more money down the VW hole. You can always pay down the principal monthly quicker later...or all at once if that is possible.
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

The passenger door lock mechanism appears to be going too. I've had to climb out into the back of the van a couple of times to get out. Hopefully they'll be able to repair it Friday. If not, this will be awkward. I am irrationally sad about my baby dying.

Kris

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
              The passenger door lock mechanism appears to be going too. I've had to climb out into the back of the van a couple of times to get out. Hopefully they'll be able to repair it Friday. If not, this will be awkward. I am irrationally sad about my baby dying.

Kris

That just cracked me up!! Not laughing at your pain, just your exit from your vehicle
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, I always climb in and out of the passenger seat of our van because our garage doesn't really fit two cars but we put two in it. You can only open one door, and it's the passenger door. It's gotten to be such a habit that in parking lots, if I'm really tired, I'll use the passenger door even though I could use the driver's side. *blush*

I've never had to use the trunk, though!!

Sorry she's dying. My van is also showing signs, but I think we've got one more year.

Angie
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

There's a queue of vw's waiting for me to weld here! Rescued a holiday maker yesterday whose gear linkage had snapped.

The whisky cabinet is very full from thank yous but I don't drink the stuff!

Dave
                  Using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ballibeg View Post
                    There's a queue of vw's waiting for me to weld here! Rescued a holiday maker yesterday whose gear linkage had snapped.

The whisky cabinet is very full from thank yous but I don't drink the stuff!

Dave
                    You can send me the whiskey!
                    Kris

Comment

I'm coughing....whiskey from Ireland...whisky from Scotland!
                      Using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ballibeg View Post
                        I'm coughing....whiskey from Ireland...whisky from Scotland!
                        "Whiskey" is also the spelling for the American version.

Comment

So many fakes....
                          Using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh man, was hoping you had good news Kris. I am still mourning the loss of my VW....I totally understand. I feel like I gave up on him too soon.

I know, I am crazy for thinking that way about a vehicle. I will just die when I have to give up the bug...he is 11yo.
                            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
                              Oh man, was hoping you had good news Kris. I am still mourning the loss of my VW....I totally understand. I feel like I gave up on him too soon.

I know, I am crazy for thinking that way about a vehicle. I will just die when I have to give up the bug...he is 11yo.
                              Thomas thinks I'm crazy for feeling this way about a vehicle too. He's all about switching it out for something else. He's been pushing me to get a different vehicle for nearly 2 years.

Angie, Crack me up that you're exiting out of your side door! We're in it together!

Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X