Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Help getting rid of fruit flies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovelight View Post
    I've done the same vinegar thing. No funnel necessary. Once they hit the soapy vinegar they drown. We had a horrible fruit fly problem when I got back from the hospital with the baby because there was a bag of trash in the kitchen for the entire three days we were gone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is what works for me too. I've added wine to it before.

Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Fruit fly trap! Works great and is really cute. You all are nuts!

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Terro-Fruit...2500/203225201
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Are you saying my quart Mason jar with 1.5" of vaguely amber liquid isn't really cute? I'll have you know I've caught 7 fruit flies in under a day!
        Alison

Comment

They came back. I guess their eggs weren't all gone. ugh.
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I hate fruit flys! I do the trap and it helps a lot. Another thing that seems to help that I just tried and voila much less bugs is washing all the fruit when I bring it home.
            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

PSA - Fruit flies lay eggs in sponges. Be hyper vigilant or you too may have maggots crawling out of your sponge when you pick it up. Thank goodness it was a sponge I hadn't used in a while, but I seriously almost threw up. No wonder they kept coming back after I thought I had killed them all.

Comment

Originally posted by lovelight View Post
                PSA - Fruit flies lay eggs in sponges. Be hyper vigilant or you too may have maggots crawling out of your sponge when you pick it up. Thank goodness it was a sponge I hadn't used in a while, but I seriously almost threw up. No wonder they kept coming back after I thought I had killed them all.

Ewww. Thanks!!
                Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Gross. Of course, I have a few all of a sudden. I tried soup and vinegar yesterday without any luck. Wonder if the seventh generation dish soap isn't soapy enough to trap them....

Comment

I once had a plastic pitcher filled w/white vinegar, that I used to soak my shower heads in(to de-calcify/clean). I forgot about it and left it sitting on my tub once. When I noticed it a couple days later, I saw fruit flies had been attracted to it and drown! I thought I had discovered a green way to rid us of the annoying things!!! When I thought I was sharing an amazing revelation w/my friend, she burst my bubble and told me that she'd been doing that for year! She said apple cider vinegar seems to be the most alluring to them!

I just pour straight apple cider vinegar (undiluted/ and w/out adding anything) into tiny glass mason jars or small juice glasses and place them,out of the way, on my kitchen and bathroom counter tops. Fruit flies, for whatever reason, when not on/in fruit, seem to prefer to light on bathroom mirrors. They get really bad around here when folks allow their citrus trees to drop it's over-ripe fruit and allow it to rot on the ground. I hate putting fruits and certain vegetables in the fridge but during certain times of the year we HAVE too!

PS this will take awhile... so you must put all fruit away don't leave fruit juices out in cups. The receptacles of cider need to be the only source that attracts them for several days. Eventually you will have little containers of dead pickled fruit flies!!
                    Last edited by Momo; 09-16-2014, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Fruit flies gone. Stink bugs have arrived. Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                      X