Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

October 16th News

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never choose the flu-mist.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Flumist is quadrivalent (covers 4 strains of flu), whereas some of the shots are trivalent. If you get the shot, double check that you're getting the quadrivalent one. Flumist does seem to provide better protection and is now recommended by the ACIP over the shot. But, still better to get the shot than nothing.
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Ok you are all freaking me out - we're going to Disney a week from today and the kids are getting their flu mists on Saturday...UGH!
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Flumist, as far as I know (could be wrong), is live attenuated and has the ability to mutate - like the real flu - into different strains for further protection.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

October 16th News

I'd read that the better protection was due to location. More antibodies localize in the nose & mucosal linings where the influenza virus was most likely to primarily infect.

ETA: It is live-attenuated, but I haven't read anything about it mutating. I can refresh later though.
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

That's good to know about the shot vs mist! I was hoping for the shot since DS freaked out last year, and I'm not sure he inhaled enough of it.
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                Our pediatrician's office *still* doesn't have the flu vaccine!
                DH's hospital (not the kiddo one, but the community system) does not even have them for their employees yet. And it is mid-October. We went last week and got them for free from our town. Not screwing around with our little one coming soon in the midst of flu/RSV/pertussis season.

I gave my new boss flowers today for Bosses Day (ok, they were from me and the FT temp) and she LOVED them. I hope this means I am storing up brownie points somewhere with someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

And the brownie pts appeared in the form of being able to offer a job shadowing position I didn't think I was going to have this year. Score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Thanks for the love, Kris and T&S.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
                    X