Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What was your first alcoholic beverage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in the fifth grade helping out at the catholic school easter celebration. A boy in my class and I were cleaning up after a dinner and drank all the leftover wine in the church hall. I told my mom I was getting a ride home with a neighbor. Turned out to be the neighbor boy who just got a motorcycle. I had such a hangover and my mom let me stay home the next day. The boy who drank with me didn't fair so well. He had to suffer through school and the nuns the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by Curegirl View Post
      Aw Bittersweet, you don't feel like breaking out any box wine?
      I actually really like the Bota box wines!
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Mike's Hard Lemonade. I was 16, and it was my sister's bachelorette party

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
          I actually really like the Bota box wines!
          Me too, and Black Box!
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I'm Russian, definitely before middle school but too long ago to remember. Alcohol wasn't made into a big deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Wine in high school. Had it on special occasions at home. Other than that, a nutty Irishman on my 21st birthday. And lots of shots...
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Probably oozo (don't know how to spell it) in Greece in middle school? We went to Europe a few times when I was a kid and alcohol is NBD so I'm sure I tried a few different regional drinks. I remember the ouzo? bc if had a strong licorice flavor that I love and so everyone gave me their shots lol. I had like 6 shots. Didn't get drunk do clearly they were small shots.

Then I had some alcohol (probably beer) in Acapulco in 9th grade on a school trip. For some reason we went to a nightclub. Those were the days lol. A group of 20 eighth graders in a nightclub. Ahhhh.

Then run of the mill in high school-- nothing big. I didn't like feeling drunk and don't like beer.

Dh tried his first beer when he was a toddler. They used to give him the short beer cans (like 4oz) at family gatherings when he was hanging out with the men. He can not stand alcohol now-- but I can get him to have some wine on occasion. His tolerance is crap though so if I open a bottle I know I'm drinking 75% of it.
                Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Ice house. Second semester sophomore year of college. We were playing circle of death. It was disgusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Killian's Irish Red - junior year of HS when I went with my BFF to visit her sister at college in upstate NY. Beer was totally gross and it took me another 5-6 years to acquire a taste for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Don't remember. Grew up with wine with every meal, mixed drinks/beer at family parties and it was never a big deal. I am sure I tasted stuff because I thought I did not like alcohol. My parents would let me taste if I asked and I just never liked it. So, never drank in HS or college. Did not begin drinking until I started learning more about wine and craft beers...in my late twenties. Therefore, I do not have any crazy drinking stories and totally bypassed the bad booze phase - also never been drunk and thank goodness never hung-over. Unfortunately for DH, I only drink good wine, microbrewed craft beers, and handcrafted mixed drinks...I am no cheap date
                      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
                        Don't remember. Grew up with wine with every meal, mixed drinks/beer at family parties and it was never a big deal.
                        +1 I didn't drink in HS or college until I turned 21.
                        Jen
                        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

There would be wine for the infrequent fancy dinners (extended family gatherings, dinner parties), and VERY occasionally, dad might have a beer after mowing the (huge) yard; there were bottles of liquor in the kitchen that evaporated before they were drunk (seriously; I once investigated a bottle of Kahlua that was in the cabinet...it was empty, with crusty stuff in the bottom, and a ridiculously low price tag on it). All that to say, drinking alcohol was never really modeled or made a big deal of in my house. I'm sure I had sips of wine at family dinners, and I remember sips of wine coolers in HS and beer in college, but I'm a supertaster and an introvert, so it all tasted nasty, and I never felt the need to acquire a taste for it. I've since found a few things I can stand the taste of if I feel the need to be sociable in that way, but I don't seek it out, and still don't feel a need to expand my taste tolerance beyond that.
                          Sandy
                          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

What was your first alcoholic beverage?

In 7th grade I went out to a football game with my dad, his college football friends, and some of their kids. The super responsible dad's had us spend the night in the dorm with a family friend that my dad had helped get into school the previous year. I had one zima and then went to bed at like midnight. Ha!

Then in 8th grade the night before thanksgiving I had *a few* glasses of champagne with my super responsible mother and three of her friends from growing up. I threw up the next morning. Ha! Great parenting right there!

I drank in high school. Not too much freshman year, but after that.....

Comment

I, too, have terrible memories of Malibu rum.

But, my first taste of alcohol was actually Franzia White Zinfandel. I was 14 and it was a total accident. It was summertime and I'd just come inside from being outdoors all day and I was super thirsty. There was a pitcher of what I thought was juice in the fridge, so I poured a huge glass and started chugging. I immediately gagged and spit it all out. Later that night I asked my mom what the gross juice in the fridge was. She started laughing and explained the Franzia bag had somehow ripped and she had to put the wine into a pitcher. Still so, so gross to this day. No rum and no Franzia for this girl which is a shame, because I really think I'd like pina coladas!

Comment

Originally posted by rufflesanddots View Post
                                I, too, have terrible memories of Malibu rum.

But, my first taste of alcohol was actually Franzia White Zinfandel. I was 14 and it was a total accident. It was summertime and I'd just come inside from being outdoors all day and I was super thirsty. There was a pitcher of what I thought was juice in the fridge, so I poured a huge glass and started chugging. I immediately gagged and spit it all out. Later that night I asked my mom what the gross juice in the fridge was. She started laughing and explained the Franzia bag had somehow ripped and she had to put the wine into a pitcher. Still so, so gross to this day. No rum and no Franzia for this girl which is a shame, because I really think I'd like pina coladas!
                                Ha too funny! Though no Franzia is probably not a big loss -- no rum is kind of tragic, IMO

I honestly don't remember what my first drink was. Probably beer -- I know I accidentally took a sip of my dad's beer as a young kid and thought it was disgusting, and starting around 12/13 a few sips of wine were always offered at my extended family's gatherings if you just wanted to try some out of curiosity. I do remember the first time I got drunk though -- I was 21 and on a college trip to Italy, off some really good wine during one of the best, longest dinners I've ever had in my life. It was just too good to stop but damn did I ever pay for it the next day when we had to get on a big tour bus and drive for hours on windy roads into the mountains....
                                Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Working...
                                X