Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Engagement Ring Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
    I agree that they "need" to fix it but lets be honest, they just have no intention of doing so. It is a beautiful ring with great meaning, stop going to Zales all together. Go to a good quality jeweler, pay what it costs to fix your ring for good. Their "warranty" is worthless.
    Well Zales has offered to replace it, but neither ST nor Dr. ST want that because it has sentimental value (of course!) Given this, I agree with the above. You need to pay a quality jeweler to fix it and cut your losses with Zales. Their warranty only exists to bring you back into the store twice a year in the hopes something else will catch your eye.
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
      Well Zales has offered to replace it, but neither ST nor Dr. ST want that because it has sentimental value (of course!) Given this, I agree with the above. You need to pay a quality jeweler to fix it and cut your losses with Zales. Their warranty only exists to bring you back into the store twice a year in the hopes something else will catch your eye.
      Thing is, I don't think a "quality jeweler" can fix it. That's why I said to just replace it.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
        Thing is, I don't think a "quality jeweler" can fix it. That's why I said to just replace it.
        My friend had a similar issue with Kay Jewelers and she ended up having an independent (quality) jeweler take every diamond (and sapphire) out and rebuild the ring using platinum prongs (I think Kay had used white gold which was why she kept losing them) and a pave setting for the side diamonds and sapphires. She really wanted the same stones and similar setting as what she was married with for sentimental reasons. It was not a fast or cheap "fix" though, it was a complete redesign using the same stones. Otherwise, she figured she'd just end up with her solitaire falling out eventually too.
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I wonder if I could convince them to use a different metal? At this point it is costing them money. They did say there was a different repair shop they could send it out to. I'm going to go to the Zales in the fancy part of town and see if I can get better options for fixing it there...I've been going to the ghetto mall near work and I think I might have a better time elsewhere.

Rebuilding it isn't a bad idea...especially in platinum, but that's probably a post-attending fix. DH absolutely doesn't want me to replace it and I'm inclined to agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

It's gorgeous! I ran into an issue with my engagement ring that the designer didn't create a wedding band that went well with it. My options were either settle with something, or design my own and have it made. I looked into it a bit and it's actually not as expensive as I'd thought to custom make your own ring. You can also shop around jewellers to get quotes. Personally given that I was wedding planning and not that picky I just bought a cheap wedding band that didn't take away from my lovely engagement ring. In the future though (post med school debts) I'll definitely consider upgrading/customizing the wedding band. Hope that kind of helps!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
            Grace

Comment

same issue with dw's infinity wedding band.. no solution. now it's -3 diamonds.

Comment

I had the same issue with my first wedding band. A chip diamond kept falling out. It fell out four times. They used three different metals on it and with time that showed. Eventually I replaced it with different rings. I kept it for sentimental value.
                PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

I didn't keep up with my warranty at my wedding ring jeweler, but when I lost a second (or third?) diamond and also needed to be resized, I took it to a real jeweler in my hometown. They kept it a couple weeks and reinforced all the settings. I haven't lost any more diamonds in over a decade. (Hoping I didn't just jinx it...)
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I am right there with you ST regarding the sentimental attachment I have to my engagement/wedding rings. However, it sounds like other than getting a reputable jeweler (have never had an issue with independent jewelry stores) to fix or re-make the ring setting, you will continue to have these issues. Could you get it fixed by Zales and only wear it on special ocasions? Maybe J or you both can get another ring to commemorate a special event?

Honestly, as much as PITA to go and get the ring fixed, I figure it also has to be for Zales. After a few times, they have to be losing money. I wonder if going higher on that management chain of command may get you different results.
                    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
                      I wonder if going higher on that management chain of command may get you different results.
                      I agree with medpedspouse. Email the ceo, and I bet this will be resolved quickly.

Your ring is gorgeous!

Comment

It is a beautiful ring. Maybe post on their website and see if you get results!!!!
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                        X