Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Is There a Doctor in the Marriage? [NYT]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There a Doctor in the Marriage? [NYT]

I came across this first-person essay about being married to a resident in the New York Times this morning. Not exactly my cup of tea, but sweet nonetheless. Posting here in case anyone else is interested:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/06/fa...-marriage.html

I caught DH doing that same pulse check a few days ago.

Comment

I just read this too! I was shocked the nyt printed it honestly. I don't really think it had much of a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Agreed, [MENTION=3775]JDAZ11[/MENTION]. I didn't really get it. Her husband is tired, their relationship changed, and...I guess she's come to accept that? I didn't get it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

#humblebrag

That was so pointless. Maybe I'm missing something?
          I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

NYT Modern Love is pretty much always like that. "Please indulge me as I muse thoughtfully about my privileged life."
            Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

It's a bit sickeningly sweet but I can identify with her being torn between letting him sleep and watching him in action. We had this happen on a flight once. DH does the pulse thing too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
              Last edited by MrsC; 12-04-2015, 10:10 AM.
              Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
              Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Ha, I'm glad I'm not the only one here who didn't really identify with the writer. I was thinking it just a difference of my husband being an orthopod vs IM. But maybe it's just because we've been together much longer, so I don't put him up on the OMG DR, SO IMPORTANT, SO ALTRUISTIC pedestal.

Comment

She should stick to romance novels. It does annoy me that so many people have read this and it will further the stereotype of the gushing "you're so amazing" dawkters wife.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                  Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                  Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
                    #humblebrag

That was so pointless. Maybe I'm missing something?
                    Amy I the only one selfish/unimpressed enough to not feel the need to constantly remind everyone how invaluable and selfless your doctor spouse is? Trust me, I am immeasurably proud of my husband and am confident he'll make a fantastic doctor but it makes me feel icky to see stuff like this and be reminded that what he does is SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than what anyone else - including me - does. I understand the need to explain and rationalize the reasons why doctor spouses are so un-present in lives and relationships and how much a partner loses with a doctor spouse...but after a while I'm tired of being reminded of it.

I'm apparently just a shit spouse about the whole thing bc I was not super into this article.
                    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

I asked DH his thoughts on the article. He didn't get the point either.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
                        NYT Modern Love is pretty much always like that. "Please indulge me as I muse thoughtfully about my privileged life."
                        Agreed. I am disappointed every time.
                        Wife of PGY-2 Gen Surg, gluten/dairy free cook and patron to a big black cat

Comment

Really lame.
                          Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

The comments are the best part really.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by rufflesanddots View Post
                              I caught DH doing that same pulse check a few days ago.
                              Yes my hubby does this to me all the time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                              Grace

Comment

Working...
                              X