Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What is Something Popular that Annoys You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flynn View Post
    HMMMMMM not sure how to describe without sounding really judgemental. Sexy Christianity probably isn't the best description. There is a wave of people where I live who are incredibly materialistic. Shockingly so.

A large percentage of this group make it very public that they are Christian and they go to bible study, church, and do mission work. Many of the women who are moms and over 40 wear 400 dollar jeans with sparkles on the butt in the shape of a cross. They have trucker hats and watches with real diamonds -- all with biblical symbols on them and all very flashy. Some SUVs these people own have giant rims with bible sayings around the wheel (seriously).

I guess a better description would be the Christian version of keeping up with the Jones'. Of course this all goes against the basic principles of Christianity -- I'm not trying to offend here -- just trying to illustrate the bizarre hypocrisy.

Picture a woman over 40 with a 15,000 dollar breast enlargement, in a jogging suite that says "I Run For JESUS" in sparkles on her butt, driving a tricked out Escalade that says "Jesus Lives" on the personalized license plate where each rim has Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John on the band closest to the wheels.

Seriously folks ...you can't make this stuff up.
    Can you take pics for us? I'm so intrigued... I have no idea why.

I really had no idea this was a thing - I thought it was so weird that the woman (above post) was trying merge God and vanity... I literally was like "dude, nice try. No one would ever think god wanted them to be a hot mom." I can't believe I was wrong!!!

I just tried googling though and didn't come up anything.... I need to show a friend of mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
      You exactly described Tamra on the Real Housewives of the OC 😂😂😂
      Or Alexis from the RH of OC. Remember her? Didn't Tamara used to call her Jesus Barbie until she "found" God herself? 🙄

Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Originally posted by MDPhDWife View Post
        Or Alexis from the RH of OC. Remember her? Didn't Tamara used to call her Jesus Barbie until she "found" God herself? 🙄

Yes!!!

Comment

Oh man - I totally missed that whole story line... Very interesting. I really didn't know that this was a thing....

Comment

A large percentage of this group make it very public that they are Christian and they go to bible study, church, and do mission work. Many of the women who are moms and over 40 wear 400 dollar jeans with sparkles on the butt in the shape of a cross. They have trucker hats and watches with real diamonds -- all with biblical symbols on them and all very flashy. Some SUVs these people own have giant rims with bible sayings around the wheel (seriously).
            So basically like the TV series GCB? (I miss it--they really "got" Dallas in a way no other show has. Even Dallas)

I feel like this has to be a thing where I live, but I've honestly never encountered it in real life. [MENTION=1479]LilySayWhat[/MENTION] have you in your neck of the woods?
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Man I keep wanting to jump back in here and this seems like a good place for it. Things that annoy me? Why yes I would love to talk about that!

It really annoys me when something I like becomes popular and then I can't like it anymore! I also don't quite understand the legging thing but I would be open to trying them if I could get a free sample!!
              -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                Man I keep wanting to jump back in here and this seems like a good place for it. Things that annoy me? Why yes I would love to talk about that!

It really annoys me when something I like becomes popular and then I can't like it anymore! I also don't quite understand the legging thing but I would be open to trying them if I could get a free sample!!
                Yes! I started drinking Moscow mules in 1998 when I studied in England. They used to sell it in copper colored bottles. Then I returned to the US and no one had ever heard of it. Now, it's super popular and I feel like a poser when I order one.

Same with my name. It was obscure when I was named and then 10 years later everyone had *my* name. Now I see my daughter's name creeping up the charts and I'm pissed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Ankle length jeans with adidas casual shoes. Hate hate hate. The ladies in nyc have been all about it since the summer. Hope the fad ends soon.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                  Grace

Comment

Originally posted by gcuthbe1 View Post
                    Ankle length jeans with adidas casual shoes. Hate hate hate. The ladies in nyc have been all about it since the summer. Hope the fad ends soon.

Bawhaha! I cannot say I "hate" it but it does crack me up when I see it...especially when I see it in multiples. As in, three ladies are walking together and they all have the same clothes/shoes only with a slight variance. I am intrigued by the choice to want to look just like the person next to them. I rather be the weirdo.
                    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post

I have to confess - my stepMIL gave me some LLR leggings last week. They are super comfy. I might get some more to wear around the house, but I do still think the crazy ones look a little bit silly out in public.
                      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
                        Bawhaha! I cannot say I "hate" it but it does crack me up when I see it...especially when I see it in multiples. As in, three ladies are walking together and they all have the same clothes/shoes only with a slight variance. I am intrigued by the choice to want to look just like the person next to them. I rather be the weirdo.
                        Hahaha yesss!
                        I also think my hatred stems from being a tall person who has always had to work very hard at getting pants that AREN'T ankle length! Something about those shoes makes people's feet look bigger and the proportions illusion just becomes comical.

Grace

Comment

You perfectly described my 12 years old's style lately! She ADORES her white w/ black stripe Adidas superstars. I'm loving it because I had those exact shoes back in the day but with a pink stripe. I hate ankle pants for myself because they are so damn unflattering for my body type, but my daughter has long stork legs and looks cute with them.

Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Hahaha yesss!
                            I also think my hatred stems from being a tall person who has always had to work very hard at getting pants that AREN'T ankle length! Something about those shoes makes people's feet look bigger and the proportions illusion just becomes comical.

LOL! Im the total opposite. I can't tell you how many times I bought pants intended to be calf length but are full size for me

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
                              LOL! Im the total opposite. I can't tell you how many times I bought pants intended to be calf length but are full size for me

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
                              Oh my gosh haha yup definitely opposites. Thank god for more stores with length options. I daydream of gender equality in jeans sizing.

Grace

Comment

I also think my hatred stems from being a tall person who has always had to work very hard at getting pants that AREN'T ankle length!
                                You remind me of a dear TALL friend. My friend tells a story about being hit by a car on a crosswalk (she's perfectly fine now BTW) and her main worry was NOT the fact she had fractured her leg. Her main worry was that it happened while wearing a pair of pants that they were going to have to cut off....and these pants were her only pair long enough to not just cover her ankles but also allow her to wear heels.
                                Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Working...
                                X