Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Mini-vans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-vans

I said I'd never do it, but here I am, seriously considering one. With only two kids, we don't NEED it, but it sure would be nice to have an accessible 3rd row and sliding doors. Js Explorer you can get to the 3rd row in between the captains seats, but it's a little bit of a pain, and it's too big for me. I was all set to get an MDX, but the 3rd row is completely inaccessible with carseats in. So, I'm considering an Odyssey. Another concern is our garage though, and the narrower the better, and the vans aren't exactly narrow. So...do I need one? Or something else?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

I never thought I’d be a van person but I love ours. It was even better with just two kids because I could have the back seat folded down and have plenty of room for groceries, bikes, etc. as the kids are getting older and driving friends around is becoming a thing the extra space is definitely nice. It’s also great to fold both seats down and haul stuff home from Home Depot or transport furniture. We have a tiny one car garage and our odyssey fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

You can find an old thread on here where I am very much against the idea of a minivan, but I love mine (actually it is our 2nd) now. We have a 2016 Odyssey--we had a VW Routan before but sold it because it was a maintenance disaster. They Odyssey is great and hasn't had any issues. I actually got a minivan when I was pregnant with my 2nd. It's a game changer with 3, but still awesome with two. It's all about those sliding doors. We actually have the vacuum too, but I've rarely used it. The 2018 Odyssey has a neat seat configuration that allows you to slide the 2nd row seats side to side AND forward. Also, the amount you can haul in them is insane. Even with every seat in use.

I can climb in the back relatively easily, while I cannot in my mom's crossover Chevy Traverse. As far as parking and driving, it drives more like a sedan than an SUV. I've never had any issues fitting it into a spot.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

We love our minivan. Perfect for road trips and for the kids to climb into themselves.

We have a 2011 Sienna (DH doesn’t fit in an Odyssey or a T&C). I wish it were a little newer to have lie flat seats or a power lift gate but it’ll be paid off in Nov and I want to put money into savings before we buy a new car. It’s very functional for our needs.

Also, very long story but I ended up driving a rented Pacifica for 8 months and we’ve got one on vacation. I really really like that car. It’s got a ton of nice features and lots of room.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
          We love our minivan. Perfect for road trips and for the kids to climb into themselves.

We have a 2011 Sienna (DH doesn’t fit in an Odyssey or a T&C). I wish it were a little newer to have lie flat seats or a power lift gate but it’ll be paid off in Nov and I want to put money into savings before we buy a new car. It’s very functional for our needs.

Also, very long story but I ended up driving a rented Pacifica for 8 months and we’ve got one on vacation. I really really like that car. It’s got a ton of nice features and lots of room.

Hmm, I wonder if J would have problems fitting, though I don't think he's quite as tall as M. He also says he'll never drive it, but I don't actually believe him.

Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

He’s 6’8 and all legs. But it was mostly a problem with a RF car seat which isn’t a huge issue. But he does kill that captains chair behind him. It’s unusable.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
              He’s 6’8 and all legs. But it was mostly a problem with a RF car seat which isn’t a huge issue. But he does kill that captains chair behind him. It’s unusable.

Got it. J is 6'3"ish, and both kids are forward facing now, so it shouldn't be an issue. My last two cars were Honda and Acura, so I like the idea of staying with the same make, since things tend to be in the same place.

Comment

Hmm, I wonder if J would have problems fitting, though I don't think he's quite as tall as M. He also says he'll never drive it, but I don't actually believe him.
                DH is 6' and there is lots of room to spare, just not 8 inches of room to spare
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Not a minivan but you can get the new Honda pilot with captain seats and third row folds 60/40 so you don't lose much trunk space if you're only using one seat back there. It was the perfect compromise for us because neither wanted a minivan and it has everything but the sliding doors. Also visibility is excellent and it drives like a car. I didn't feel comfortable driving anything really big.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                  Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                  Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

"Can you drive me (mom friend) and two kids to the next place we need to go after our playdate?" "Why yes, I can!"

"Should we (extended family) take two cars to the the thingie?" "No, my dear in-laws, the captains chairs are easy for you to get into and the kids will pop into the back faster than you can imagine!"

"If we have to pack the car with two tents, an air mattress, four people's clothing, a cooler and at least one grocery sack of food, and other miscellanea, will the bicycle have to ride on the roof rack?" "Are you F-ing kidding me, that bicycle is more valuable than the kids, it needs a dedicated space inside the cabin...but don't worry, we have a MINIVAN!"

LOL. We haven't looked back. We might be able to afford an Odyssey when we replace the Sedona next year, but I'm not holding my breath. Retirement don't fund itself, LOL. I'm also looking at Chrysler and Nissan.
                    Alison

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
                      Not a minivan but you can get the new Honda pilot with captain seats and third row folds 60/40 so you don't lose much trunk space if you're only using one seat back there. It was the perfect compromise for us because neither wanted a minivan and it has everything but the sliding doors. Also visibility is excellent and it drives like a car. I didn't feel comfortable driving anything really big.

Is there a center console? I think it's really similar to the MDX, which I liked, but it had a center console that wasn't removable, so there was no way to get to the back seat with car seats in both captains chairs.

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                        "Can you drive me (mom friend) and two kids to the next place we need to go after our playdate?" "Why yes, I can!"

"Should we (extended family) take two cars to the the thingie?" "No, my dear in-laws, the captains chairs are easy for you to get into and the kids will pop into the back faster than you can imagine!"

"If we have to pack the car with two tents, an air mattress, four people's clothing, a cooler and at least one grocery sack of food, and other miscellanea, will the bicycle have to ride on the roof rack?" "Are you F-ing kidding me, that bicycle is more valuable than the kids, it needs a dedicated space inside the cabin...but don't worry, we have a MINIVAN!"

LOL. We haven't looked back. We might be able to afford an Odyssey when we replace the Sedona next year, but I'm not holding my breath. Retirement don't fund itself, LOL. I'm also looking at Chrysler and Nissan.
                        Our car seats will be in the captains chairs, and I don't plan to move them. I assume it's still easy for people to get to the back?

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
                          Is there a center console? I think it's really similar to the MDX, which I liked, but it had a center console that wasn't removable, so there was no way to get to the back seat with car seats in both captains chairs.

I don't have that model, though I wish I did with #3 on the way! I think the console is only 4 inches high or something and designed to be stepped on. I test drove the MDX too and much preferred the Pilot. I think they made the MDX smaller.

Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
                            I don't have that model, though I wish I did with #3 on the way! I think the console is only 4 inches high or something and designed to be stepped on. I test drove the MDX too and much preferred the Pilot. I think they made the MDX smaller.

Hmm, I'll have to look. I liked the size of the MDX, just not the inaccessible 3rd row.

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
                              Our car seats will be in the captains chairs, and I don't plan to move them. I assume it's still easy for people to get to the back?

By the time we saved up for the minivan, my oldest was only a year or two away from using a high back booster. Those shift easily to free up a captain chair. The back back is not accessible to a 70-something with limited mobility, but I think we have shoved able bodied adults and older kids back there even with the car seats installed. The corridor between the chairs is also a nice place to rest the bicycle when the third row is down (which it usually is.)
                              Alison

Comment

Working...
                              X