Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Halloween costumes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween costumes

What are your kids and/or you dressing up as for Halloween?

BF and I are going to a big party on Friday where people really get creative with their costumes. We have no idea what we should be!! We can't spend a lot on a pre-made one and I don't really have sewing skills to make something. I told him he's not allowed to be a doctor this year. Any ideas?

My daughter will wear the bunny rabbit costume my dad sent to her. (Yeah, no $$$ spent on our part -- it's a complete costume and warm too).

We have a Halloween party to go to on Saturday at her classmates house. I'm not too excited about spending money on a costume. I dug around in my drawers and found a red and white stripe shirt. Since I wear glasses and my hair is boy-short, I'm going to be......Waldo! Of Where's Waldo!!

Not sure how I will dress the baby.

Comment

Waldo, is a great idea! DD is going to be a tight rope girl I think. I found an outfit at a garage sale this summer for 25 cents. DS is going to be Scooby Doo, I bought a costume at a dollar store also this summer. Not great big spending but we don't have Halloween over here (just an indoor party) so the costumes don't have to be real warm. Since I am part organizing the party we are supposed to have costumes too. I found this cute little headband that has a witches hat (a mini one) That is my costume.

Comment

Both the girls are going to be Belle from Beauty and the Beast. We saw them at Costco and thought they were cheaper than the $30 we paid for each one!!! By the time we realized the price they had their hearts set on them so we went ahead and bought them. I have two costumes for the baby--a duck that one of our girls wore as a baby or a pumpkin that was given to me. I'll put him in whichever one fits him better.
        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Where's Waldo is a clever idea! I never would have thought of that.

Everyone's kids' costumes sound so cute!!!

Comment

My daughter is going to be a Pegasus/Unicorn. Her brother is going to be a zombie on Halloween, but Harry Potter at school because they do not allow scary costumes at school. Not sure what to make of that......I'm going to be a witch when I hand out candy. I had a great time once as Cruella DeVille from 101 Dalmations--fake fur and cigarette holder with that great white/black hairdo....

Angie
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Some really inexpensive Halloween costumes I have seen:

Take a white lampshade and a white sheet: fold the sheet in half, cut a head hole through the middle. Get magic markers or fabrin paint and sketch your toothpaste brand along the front. Put on the lampshade, throw on white t-shirt and sweatpants- pur you head through the hole and voila- a tube of toothpaste. Your partner: puts on sweats of the same color and get a broom head. String the broom head to a hat the same color as the sweats- you know the skullcap kind of winter hat? There's the toothbrush.

For little kids, the best ones I've ever seen- my friend bought red footie pjs for the baby and red felt. She traced lobster claws from the felt (two sides, so they made mittens and glued the two sides together- and then went to a costume store and bought those googlie eyes and attached them to a headband- and there was the lobster.

The next year, when there was another baby- she bought at a sencond hand store, a corderoy (sp) pillow, she cut a head hole, two arm holes and two leg holes and them split it down the back. She put the baby in the pillow shell and then restuffed him- after she had hot glued "sprinkles" and "chocolate" (brown and multi-colored felt shapes) His name is Duncan and he became "Duncan donut". The older boy she bought two sheets of styrofoam and painted the Duncan donuts insignia, and cut both sheets to be wider and the top than at the bottom- then attached straps. Put his head through the straps and he became "the cup of coffee". they won at the parade that year!

My other suggestion- two sheets of poster board. Draw a 'card' from a deck of cards- attach straps and there you go- and a couple could go as the King and Queen of Whatever!

Jenn

Of course, one year I wore a bag over my head and was "the ugliest woman in the world".

Comment

I am going as "Sybil" (Laugh it up...You all know that I'm mentally unbalanced!)

I'm wearing 100 name tags that say "Hello, my name is__________".

I think that this is most appropriate!

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

That's a good one! And I'll bet you have a 4 yo who would love to help with the stickers.

Comment

One year I was the "welcome" Matt- took a cheap white T-shirt, drew the word Welcome across the chest, also drew some nice footprints on it....cheap and easy, of course it only works for this name and it helped that we were throwing the party and I was working the door.

Also cheap and easy, is going as any type of Toga era Greek person, depending on how daring(or cold!) you might be. We did that one year too, cheap white bed sheet and cheap plastic greenery from a hobby store to go around your head.

Had some friends that went as a brick and brick layer once, it was pretty funny! The wife was dressed as a brick, made of cardboard boxes, and the husband was "the layer". Also, and only in the medical community would you see this, we had some friends that went as Anthrax & Cipro(sp?) back when that scare was in all the headlines....crazy doctors!

Comment

sorry, double post

Comment

We went to "trunk or treat" last night (at our church) and had a blast! My kids costumes turned out so great...if I do say so myself. I am dying to post their pics. (HOW to do that I don't know yet...) My 7 yr old son was a werewolf, 4 yr old daughter was Snow White and 13 mo old daughter was a chinese princess (?) If I can get a pic up I will! What are everyone else's kids going as?

Comment

Sounds cute! What's the "trunk" part of "trunk or treat"?
                          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

You guys are so creative. I hope you get the pics up.

Did anyone watch the Today show? Matt Lauer looked soooo funny as Paris Hilton. (Although, I have to say, his legs look better in a skirt than mine...)

So, bf and I are going as Harold and Kumar from Harold and Kumar go to White Castle Yes, crude and juvenile but pretty easy to do since bf is Indian and I'm half-Asian.

Comment

trunk or treat

Trunk or treat is when the kids go out side in the church parking lot after the party and trick or treat from car to car. Some people even decorate their trunks. It's fun and safe. We do that at my church too.
                              My daughter is a princess.

The lamest costume I've ever seen was worn by my husband to a halloween party last year. He didn't like what I picked out and didn't take the time to plan his own costume so he took a lamp shade with him and whenever someone asked what he was he would plop it on his head and in a very dry voice (with out cracking a smile) would say "I'm a lamp".
                              What a goof.

Comment

Working...
                              X