Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Depressed, new w/question - can he delay residency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have any children yet but I understand the frustration of putting your life on hold. I have yet to get my master's in teaching. Many of my friends in teaching have gotten their masters and moved up the salary ladder while I'm basically making the same as when I started. Plus it doesn't help my resume to constantly move around.

I get really uncomfortable with the thought of depending on my husband to provide for us. My friends always tell my I'll be okay because I married a doctor. Being the pesimist that I am, this has never given me too much comfort. DH and I have finally decided to get life insurance because life is too unpredictable.

Comment

This is something that has often concerned me. However, it concerned me more before I married my husband.

My DH and I married when I was a single mother of three young children and he was a first year medical student. I had been married to someone who pretended to be a "rock star" and would disappear for days or weeks at a time and drain the bank account while doing it. It was a very hard situation.

My priority was to finish my BFA and earn my MFA. So, I divorced the creep and finished my BFA on my own. I then entered graduate school and earned my MFA while dating and then married DH. It was hard to juggle med school, grad school, my FT job, and the three children. I was fortunate to have a mother who was able to help so that I could study or attend classes.

My goal has been to earn my PhD. I have put it off until med school was over. I am glad that I did - as the time has passed and there are some incredible programs online now. To tell you thr truth, there are some wonderful online programs for Associate or Bachelor degrees. They are really catered to people in your situation. My sister, for example, is a mother of two and is earning a degree online. She has to do as much work, but can do it on HER schedule. It is a wonderful option.

I think others have mentioned life insurance. Yes - very important! You can find great insurance programs through religious affiliations (we did).

I wish you much luck.

Miranda

Comment

The only bill I pay on time is the monthly life insurance premium on my husband, and I own the policy. That means he can never change the beneficiary!!!! Talk to someone with an insurance company. The younger you are the cheaper the premium. Itt is also important that you own the policy. That may sound paranoid, but it is really just smart.
        Luanne
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
        X