Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Action Moving Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action Moving Company

Anyone ever heard of Action Moving company? http://www.actionmoving.com

We got an email from one of the med school associates about this company (came to all graduating MDs). I just asked for a simple quote for a full service move (pack, drive, unpack) for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath house. They estimated abou 6000 pounds and about $2671.35. Doesn't sound like a bad idea....

They seem very reputable and to be an on-time company.

Thoughts? Anyone ever worked through them?

I would recommend checking http://www.movingscam.com to see if anyone has had a problem with them.

Comment

Re: Action Moving Company

Originally posted by toft21
      Anyone ever heard of Action Moving company? http://www.actionmoving.com
      So, where are you going?
      Miranda

Comment

Ann Arbor, MI!! University of Michigan OB/GYN program
        Whoo hoo! 650 miles away from anything resembing familiar.

Wish us luck!

Comment

Good luck! I hope you find something familiar in Michigan. I have not heard of that moving company....

Comment

Thanks -
            we're heading there tomorrow for a few days to purchase a house! crazy - the first time I'll set foot in Ann Arbor, I'll be buying a house. ugh.

Good luck to you too! Where are you headed?

Comment

We are heading to Rochester, MN. We went to the envelope ceremony and headed straight there. We looked at houses that afternoon and made an offer that was accepted the next day. It was crazy. Same story - it was the first time I had ever been there.

Good luck finding a house. You will have to update us with what you find.

Miranda

Comment

Wow!

Rochester was our second choice. We had been doing a lot of house searching there also. I hope you found something you like - there were a ton of homes available - new and otherwise.

Good luck to you both.

Comment

Miranda -
                  What quadrant did you find you house in? We found one that we love in the NE section. I am getting so anxious to move there! I can't wait!!

Jen B.

Comment

Originally posted by twinsmom
                    Miranda -
                    What quadrant did you find you house in? We found one that we love in the NE section. I am getting so anxious to move there! I can't wait!!

Jen B.
                    NW - near Assissi Heights. We close May 27th (or sooner) - when do you plan to move?

I know what you mean - we are so anxious to move! We were at Target today and the girls were looking anxiously at new bedroom items. They have been sharing a room for years - so they are both excited to have their own.

Comment

Is it just me or does 6000lbs not seem that much? If you have a fridge, that would be around 750 lbs, right? Add a heavy sofa, a washer and a dryer and you are probably at 2000 total with is 1/3 of your total already. One of the scams moving companies do is underestimate the weight, then when they get to your house they overestimate it, and charge you a bunch more. I might get a quote from another company to see if the weight is the same.
                      Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I don't know about you, but we haven't moved a refridgerator or washer/dryer in years. Most appliances stay with the house, as far as I know, and with our situation specifically. Selling a townhouse - we have that advantage I would bet that the items we possess would be less than 6000 pounds, but that's just a guess.

I hadn't actually had them come out and do an estimate of weight. They estimated that a 2 bed, 2 bath house would be about that. I still have to have them come out.

Thanks for your input - I definitely will be getting a couple of quotes. The drive from Minneapolis through Chicago and on to Ann Arbor yesterday makes me more and more want to go with a company like this. But, if we have family/friends to help us that would be the most economical.

Comment

We've only used movers twice, but both times we had to deal with some sort of scamming. We moved a small load with professionals one time and they did underestimate the weight. It was a bunch of stored furniture-maybe 6 pieces. They estimated it was under 1000 lbs (which was a flat fee), but after the actual move it came in at 1166. The price more than doubled and they wouldn't let the stuff off the truck until we paid them in cash. Turns out that is illlegal, but I didn't know that when I was fighting this out on a crowded Boston curbside. My advice is to double check your weight and make sure you know what happens if you are over 6000.
                          Angie
                          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Toft21,

I would suggest you use a mover who gives you a Not-to-Exceed Estimate. With this type of estimate, you will not have to pay more than they estimate and if the weight comes in lower than what they estimate, you pay the lower amount. We got this type of estimate and since the weight was less than what the rep had estimated, we ended up paying about $600 less for the move. This estimate protects you in that if the rep estimates the weight at only 6,000 and it turns out to be 8,000, you will only have to pay for 6,000 lbs, unless you did not show him everything that was to be moved. A lot of movers who just give non-binding estimates will lowball the weight and then when they show up to your door, will charge you an exhorbitant amount for the extra weight.

To give you an idea on weight, our move weighed in at about 4600 lbs. We were moving a 2 bed, 2 bath apartment, but since we got rid of a lot of our furniture, it was really more like moving 1 1/2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, kitchen, living room, and and 5 closets. We did not move any appliances (w/d, fridge, microwave), but we did have some heavy pieces of furniture, like an 800 lb. armoire.

Comment

[/quote]
                              NW - near Assissi Heights. We close May 27th (or sooner) - when do you plan to move?

I know what you mean - we are so anxious to move! We were at Target today and the girls were looking anxiously at new bedroom items. They have been sharing a room for years - so they are both excited to have their own.[/quote]

Miranda -
                              We are closing on June 17, which is nice because dh doesn't start there until June 27, so that will give us a few days to close and get settled. WAHOO - just a couple of months left!!

Jen B.

Comment

Working...
                              X