Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dawkter spouse stereotypes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait, are you all trying to say that jeans and a ponytail isn't a style?!? Man, I thought I was doing well Seriously though, as a nurse I wear scrubs to work everyday, and I feel as though putting on pants and shirts with buttons is a real step up! My favorite comment that I get is, oh, your husband is in med school? You guys are going to be rich! Umm, opbviously they haven't seen our direct loan statements! It's so nice to talk to people that understand!

Kate

Comment

Cleaning ladies and manicures! Nice work if you can get it...All I want is to be able to buy clothing at full price or anything for that matter. This weekend I bought a shirt on clearence and a skirt on sale, used a $10 coupon, paid $9 and still felt guilty about spending money.
      So that's my doctor wife wish (since we're only starting this fall).

Comment

I got a typical response from the owner of my 3yo gymnastics place. She overheard a convo with another mom and I was explaining that we had to live in a certain distance in relation to my husband's job. Opps I shouldn't have said anything. Later, the owner asked me if I wanted a job at her facility. When I said no, she said, "Oh yeah, your husband is a doctor. You don't need the money." I was so caught off guard, I didn't know how to respond. I wish I would have had a good come back because she annoyed me! Shame on me for not being more closed mouthed!

Jennifer
        Needs

Comment

Here's a good story for a change (sort of)... A friend compared my situation as a residents' wife to her situation, her husband is in Iraq. I would never have made that comparison because he is risking his life but she was meaning more about the demands and the amount of time we see each other, etc. She has no medical people in her family but she still made that connection. Every since she said that, in front of several other friends who would never understand, they all seem to look at our situation differently. Some people can understand on some level.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I agree with Cheri....I found some great friends in the military community during residency (their husbands were pilots) who totally "got it" about never being able to count on my husband being home. I haven't found the same thing here as much, (only a couple of ladies who have since moved.....to Greece and Japan!) probably because the military community here is much smaller, but there are definite similarities. (and pilot pay vs. doc pay in the military isn't that different, so there is no awkward salary barrier, either)

Sally
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I don't think I fit the stereotype either, but I don't really know
              Actually, I probably fit the stereotype of the manual labor hired by the Dr Wife to do the yard work/pool cleaning/scrape the bugs off the car, etc....
              it is a good day if I get a shower without a kid in it.

Our next door neighbor is having a hard time figuring us out, they are retired and constantly doing something to pass the time-yard work, washing the car, volunteering at the base kennels, and so on. Then I walk out of the house, unshaven, unshowered, in my daily uniform of athletic shorts and a well used old T-shirt....they aren't sure to say hello or just turn the other way!

Comment

I live in sweats and retired running shoes, have short, unpolished nails. brag about my free second hand furniture, sweat out whether my checks will clear until pay day, and my children regularly walk around barefoot with koolaide mustaches. Seriously, bangos practically play upon our entrance at one of those swank dawkters' soirees.

"Amen" to everything you all have said above, but I would have to add that I'm probably...um....feistier than a well-heeled surgeon's wife should be. Actually DH jokes about this. He could have married a sweet, subservient wall flower. But being the surgeon that he is, DH likes a challenge. He says that this *clearly *means that he has some deepseeded mommy issues. Yup, instead of Patsy Cline's anthem of "Stand by your man" I would have to say that "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong" is probably more appropriate. I would feel sorry for him if he wasn't so...um...strong headed himself.

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I agree with what a few of the ladies said- if I'm "prim and proper" it's because I was that way before I married or started dating DH. I've always been a "girly girl" in that sense...but I wear the momma uniform most often now too! I do love the socializing I have to say- DH is not so much into attending parties and events- he's more in it for the networking/getting yourself out there aspect. So he tells me I'm a good partner for those things.

Hmm stereotypes- yes- everyone assumes we are loaded. Do they not realize we have $100K+ med student loans and he earns no money while in school? Guess not. they hear the word doctor and no matter what level of training (from applying to med school, in residency, or post training) you automatically make $300,000, send your kids to private school, host dinner parties, and live in a mansion!

Comment

Originally posted by kmbsjbcgb
                    Seriously, bangos practically play upon our entrance at one of those swank dawkters' soirees.
                    Oh, I know that feeling! I always feel like my husband's coworkers see me as the mom to a huge herd of children playing in the dirt like puppies or something. And, I am, of course, the barefoot and pregnant wife. Maybe I should black out some of my teeth before the next medical "event" I have to attend.... :>

but I would have to add that I'm probably...um....feistier than a well-heeled surgeon's wife should be. Actually DH jokes about this. He could have married a sweet, subservient wall flower.
                    That's me, too. I regularly get a rundown from him of things I should NOT say prior to coming into contact with any of his coworkers. I'm just not good at keeping my mouth shut.

Jennifer
                    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                    With fingernails that shine like justice
                    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Working...
                    X