Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

A rant...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A rant...

Okay, so my husband is 2 months into his 3rd year rotations for med school, currently on surgery. We are trying to adjust to this new way of life (not having such a smooth transition to say the least), it's only 2 months in and I'm already pretty sick of it--this feeeling has just hit pretty hard only recently. Throughout medical school, I have always tried to be super-understanding and given him and his endeavors a lot of priority over a lot of things in our life. Even more so with the start of his 3rd year.

My real rant is this: I work full-time, I have a pretty laid-back cookie-cutter type job. Within the past month, I found and interviewed for another job that would utilize my skills and background more=more fullfilling to me. It has been stressfull trying to go about securing this new job and leaving my current one. I negotiated the final offer with the new job yesterday and gave my two weeks' notice yesterday as well, I was so excited. I get really nervous and anxious with this type of thing and there is a lot more that went on yesterday throughout all of this that I couldn't wait to tell my husband about when he got home. I waited until about 6:45 pm when I had to leave to be somewhere else and he still wasn't home (that's okay, I think I've learned not to have any expectations about that sort of thing). As I was on my way, he called me to let me know he was home. I would be back at 9 (like I am every single Monday night) and gave him the abbreviated version of the day's events. When I returned home at 9, he was asleep on the bed, with a full, steaming cup of coffee on his desk and all his textbooks strewn about (he has his surgery exam for the rotation this Friday). I sat down and was getting ready to tell him all about my day when he laid back down. I asked him if he was going back to sleep and he got mad at me and accused me of being unreasonable for not giving him more time to wake up. Needless to say, my feelings were really hurt and we went to bed last night without me even getting to share about my big day.

He continued to accuse me of being unsupportive and unreasonable and that I should get up w/ him at 4 am for the next 2 months and not go to bed until midnight and see how I feel. I AM SUPPORTIVE OF HIM EVERY OTHER DAY OF THE YEAR practically, I just wanted one day for him to give me the same. I got a great job, w/ a big pay increase, that I think I'm gonna love--I was so excited. Now, I'm bummed b/c I'm not even that excited to talk to him about it anymore.

Congratulations on your new job! I'm excited for you, because that is, indeed, an awesome feeling when someone offers you a step up. Yay you!

And, ugh, I agree, it's the worst when you're excited about something and the spouse can't muster any interest. Our latest argument in this vein was over the arrival of our wedding photos, which he barely glanced at. Drained all the fun right out of that. It is hard to see two inches past the end of your nose during some rotations, apparently, which sucks, because your stuff is important, too! (It is! It is!) It's not every day you get a new and better job, and I hope you still enjoy it and I hope he comes to his senses later and makes it up to you.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Congrats on the new job!!! That is wonderful.

I can feel your frustration. I remember my spouse being too tired to give me the time of day. 1. MS-3 Surgery Rotation: I was in France when dh was doing his surgery rotation, and I hadn't talk to him in a few days, and I called to tell him how that day was the first time I felt like I was truely understanding and grasping French, and all of the other wonderful things going on, and I got- "Honey, I have been up for 48 hours, can I talk to you some other time?" Talk about a huge blow. 2. First month of internship: I came home from an exhausting day at work, wanted to watch the Fireworks badly with him, it was the 4th of July. He walked in the door, didn't say "hello," "go take a flying leap," nothing- went straight into the bedroom and collapsed on the bed and fell asleep.

My favorite phrase during residency was "I see that this is not a good time for me to talk to you, so we'll do this another time." At least for my husband, it would hit him that he would be missing out on something big with me- he would either drop what he had going then, or we would make a time to talk. What's funny is now that we have kids, I am still using that phrase.

I wish I could offer some sage advice or some miracle drink that would bring our spouses out of that "zombie fatigue-Type A personality go getter" mentality. I can tell you what I have learned and what has worked for me- Making sure to set aside time, even if it's 15 minutes during a lunch break, to talk; rolling with the punches; thinking "This too shall pass;" and it took a lot in me not to be resentful towards my husband but more like being resentful towards the set-up of rotations/residency. For me I knew if I had any resentment towards dh, then that would be the end, and that was not an option for me.

Again--- CONGRATULATIONS on the job!!!!!! :ra:

HTH,
      Crystal
      Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Congrats on the new job!!! It will be hard for your husband to be excited for you when he's exhausted, which will be most of the time. My DH is the same way. If he's tired and I ask him anything, then I'm not being supportive enough. I've learned to just leave him alone and let him rest and eat first and only then start talking.

Comment

thanks so much....sometimes it's good for me to just get it off my chest b/c I don't want to do that with him right now. =)

Comment

Yep yep yep - -been there.

CONGRATS on your new job -- truly what you have done is extremely exciting. Good for you.

This lifestyle BREEDS selfish behavior. Sleep depravation doesn't help -- nor do the long hours. He couldn't muster 30 minutes of "be happy for my wife who supports my CRAPPY career choice?" He probably knew he was being a heel, couldn't rally, and blamed the whole thing on you.

Give him a couple of days to apologize and if he doesn't, explain how his behavior about YOUR news made you feel. Give him a few bottom lines of what you will and will not tolerate.

Hang in there. It's not the first time this will happen -- nor the last unfortunately. Know you are not alone.

This is your DH's issue. How he acts due to HIS career choice is HIS issue.

Oh, and the bump in pay you just earned -- spend it on YOU!!!

:@
            Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Wow! What a great day for you. It must have been exciting. I'm sorry your husband didn't get to share it with you. His loss. :disappointed:

I have had similar experiences with my husband throughout the training nightmare. My advice is to let him know how you felt and what he can do to make things work better in the future AFTER the surgery rotation is over and he's gotten some sleep. My DH did a surgerical subspecialty of OB/GYN and he really did get better a few years in to residency about hearing me out. I like Crystal's story. You have to figure out how to communicate about these new *ahem* challenges. You two are new to this whole rotation/hospital slave thing. It sucks that he wasn't responsive. Did he know you this was coming down that day? You'd think he would have been curious about what happened. You deserve some attention for your good news. Too bad he's so sleep deprived and stressed. He'd probably see that for himself.

We'd love to hear your story here! I love office politics.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Congrats on the new job - that sounds great.

I agree with what everyone has said. For my DH it took one big screw up for him to realize he needs to at least attempt to listen to me when I have something to say or when something is important. He really screwed up my birthday last week and has been apologizing for it ever since. Hopefully he'll realize soon what he did and you won't have to suffer with it for long. Always vent here, that is what we're for.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Congratulations on the new job! Like everyone else said - it stinks that he stole some of that thunder from your day.

For my DH the "awakening" didn't happen until we were in our new house. He showed up 3 days into the huge move that was being accomplished by me & an AMAZING friend of mine, and started to nit pick. Not overtly critical, but instead of saying "wow, you guys have gotten a lot done" he's say "I can't believe how much stuff there is." He started to talk about shelves he wanted to build in his office -- in the face of CARTONS of belongings and I LOST IT. He tried to tell me I was "overreacting", to which I replied (loudly) - "Maybe I am. But I have walked on eggshells around you for the past 2 YEARS. It's time you put some effort in my direction - you big jerk!"

Sometimes they don't see past their nose. Mine needed a wake up call, and it has helped IMMENSELY.

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You are doing something only others dream about. I hope the job becomes all you hope it to be!

I know it may not seem like it now, but things will get better. My DH is in his 2nd month of 3rd year too. He started with Internal Medicine. The first 4 weeks SUCKED! He was on-call every 4 days and most of the time I saw him he was either sleeping, or wouldn't stop talking about the hospital. It was a real adjustment from having him home all the time and just worrying about the boards. Ah...those were the days. The only reason I can offer a bit of optimism is because his 2nd 4 weeks of IM have been outpatient, so he hasn't worked weekends or been on-call. I know that it's only for another week and then all h*ll will break loose again, but for now we are enjoying it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...it won't be this bad all the time. There will be bright spots...and then not-so-bright spots...DH has OB-GYN next, where he'll have a whole week of night shifts...

Comment

Ohhh...Crystal, I'm going to use that:

"I can see that this is not a good time to talk to you about this...".

Very, very good. Thanks for the advice.

I think that I will stop myself from posting more here or I will go on a crazy hijack which makes me angrier than one needs to be at ones spouse. I'm *really* trying to be more compassionate towards DH right now, even if he isn't able to give this back to me.

Anyway, I hope that your new job kicks butt! Way to go.

Kelly
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

MFox,

I read your post and I got that pit feeling in my stomach.
                        BTDT a million times. There are times in your life you will just understand. Then there will be those times it will devestate you.

I have spent YEARS trying not to be the Physician wfe that just doesn't care. I think a lot of the wives get that way as a "protective" shield so they won't get hurt.

I call my husband "Cybil" I always ask which of his personality I'm dealing with...just to get a heads up. It's now become our "code" so he knows I need to speak and be heard.

In their defense they are under an enormous amount of stress. I work as an RN in a teaching faclity. I always had the 3rd students and of course R1's. I was a preceptor so they were usually attached to my hip (I worked L&D). These guys/girls were fried and nervous. The sleep thing was really horrible for them. My husband and I were 3,000 miles apart during this time (his 3rd year) there was no internet because it was 1979-80 I was a jr in college in CA he was in NY. Truth is we were dating at the time and I broke up with him because of the pressure he put on me to quit school and join him there (Cybil was lonely)

My advice is not take to take it seriously and try not to be hurt by it. He will probably feel like a heal when he realizes what a schmuk he was.

Anyway a BIG Congrats to you :ra: :ra:

enjoy your new job !!

Comment

Working...
                        X