Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Need advice and opinions: Drive or fly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to everybody for the words of wisdom and advice! I think I have *finally* (I sure hope so, anyhow!) made a decision and will not change my mind anymore. After really evaluating things, I think I'm too concerned about the weather and the whole notion of not being accountable to any one person at really specific times to drive by myself WITH my daughter. By myself is one thing, with her, another issue entirely. Part of this revelation came from hearing Alison's story about being stranded with the pets I'm glad it all turned out ok for you, by the way! The weather factor is way too unpredictable for me...even northern KS/Eastern CO can be horrible, let alone the Sierra Nevadas....SO..FLY WE WILL!!! And hopefully my car will follow us....I REALLY appreciate the advice about shippers, too. I will definitely heed the recommendations! Thanks again, and I'll keep you guys posted.

I think DH is relieved, too....he and I hadn't really thought too much about the snow/ice factor until I told him about what I found out here. You guys are all so awesome. Thanks again!!

Comment

Marla- I am glad you made a decision that both you and DH are happy with at this point. The move will be stressful and getting there easier will hopefully make a difference.

Jennifer
      Needs

Comment

I didn't mean to scare you, Marla! But I have to admit, that's why I shared. Standing on the side of that road was one of the scarier things that's happened to me. If a stranger stopped to offer help, should I even talk to them since I'm a woman alone? Should I start hiking with the dog and carry the cats in their carriers? Yikes! It would have been so much scarier without knowing that Nick would be missing my car behind his U-Haul within a matter of minutes! Not to mention having a child to care for.

Wasn't the first time either. Near the end of a road trip during my sophomore year in college, my car died in a National Park near Baker City, Oregon. (We later learned it was a clogged fuel filter.) I don't remember if we didn't have cells or if they just didn't work in those deserted mountains. I actually hitched a ride with two nice older ladies, leaving Nick and my dog incommunicado on the mountain. They took me to one lady's house, where I called AAA, gave them a home address that referred to a highway milepost (!), and sipped ice water while waiting for the tow truck to pick me up and go fetch my stranded sweetheart and pooch.

Yeah, driving is fun, but it's an adventure. Glad you decided on a safe route of travel -- maybe you and DD can go on a (shorter) road trip when she's a bit older.
        Alison

Comment

Working...
        X