Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Ringing in the new year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ringing in the new year?

How do you plan to celebrate, if at all?

For us, we are going to stay at home and off of the drunk people filled roads. We are going to have a dinner of appetizers and play games. We will probably toast to a new year sometime around 8 or 9 (if the kids make it that long) and head to bed. Dh is on call tonight and the 1st, so he will be plenty tired.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

We bought a bottle of champagne and will be ordering Indian take-out from our favortie restaurant. Now I just have to clean enough room off the table so we might be able to squeeze in a little romantic dinner for 2.

Comment

We're dogsitting an insane, brainless, unneutered Lab. We'll stay home and have pasta and wine.
      Alison

Comment

We'll have a very tiny, kids-welcome gathering of a few of our neighbors. It looks like it will be one other couple + us for the bulk of the evening, w/one or two other couples stopping by. I think I'm going to cook Indian food (the other couple really enjoys Indian but rarely has it), and we'll toss the kids in the basement to play while we try to carry on conversations on the 1st floor.

I also always try to avoid the roads w/the drunks, so for the past several years in Cleveland I've always been the host. This year it will be smaller, but the same idea.

Comment

We were invited to a feast of Thai food by one of my husband's colleagues. His wife is Thai and can cook THE BEST food. The good news is that 1) it's Metro accessible and 2) there will be two other babies.

Rick's also on-call (from today at 8am until next Monday at 8am) so he'll have a glass of champagne and I'll have the rest.

We're planning on celebrating a little more fully when he takes a week off in January.

Jenn

Comment

We are going to a movie and then to a fondue place for dinner with our bestest friends that are STILL our friends, even though we lived far apart for eight years. We used to always celebrate New Year's Eve with them when we lived in Indiana before we moved away, so it will be nice to resume the tradition.

Sally
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I have a newborn, so I will probably be up ringing in the New Year as a Milking Shop.

Matt is the 2nd person tonight, which means 11 pm only because he is covering for one of the partners for a few hours; tomorrow he is the 3rd call person, but it's home call, and then on Sunday he is the 1st call person so he will be going in.

I think we will be laying low, taking it easy, maybe we will watch a movie, or play a game. I know fun!

Crystal
              Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

We're going out to dinner with some neighbors (adults only) and then to a neighbor's low key party. DH is on call, so low key is.....key. It's a little wierd. This is the first New Year's we've actually done anything away from the kids. We're almost always home with them. But we got invited, and the babysitter said yes, so.....I suppose we're really going out. I feel a little guilty! I hope they have fun with the sitter.
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

DH is working tomorrow and on-call in house for the 1st so it won't be too exciting. Our neighbors turned their no-kid party into a kid party so we have something to do now. We can just walk across the street and the kids will play nicely in the basement. I doubt we will make it until midnight.

Sally-are you going to the Melting Pot? I went there for the first time on Tuesday night. It is really geared toward couples. I was there alone with 4 other couples, it was fun and the food was good. Have fun!

Jennifer
                  Needs

Comment

We're leaving in the morning to go home for a week and enjoying a New Years party with a bunch of college friends, the first time we've been able to do that since 2001. It will be great to see everyone and catch up!
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Yeah, Jen, we are going to The Melting Pot. I have heard great things about it! We ate at a fondue place here in Indy a long time ago....it was called Shaffers and is not around anymore. We enjoyed it, but it took FOREVER to get through a meal.....I figured it would be a good "couples" activity......lots of time to talk!

Sally
                      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

The Melting Pot was very cool. Dinner took us 4 hours! Lots of time to talk!

Jennifer
                        Needs

Comment

I thought we were going to be spending this one just the two of us, but then our friends called--the couple who introduced us--and invited us to their place with some other couples, for fondue, actually. So it looks like a get-together with the usual suspects, which is always fun.
                          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

DH is on call, so we're not going to do anything. This will mark the 6th year in a row that we haven't done anything for new Year's (hmmm, is it a coincidence that our oldest is 6?). We do have some neighbors having an open house tomorrow, so the kids and I will stop by (and dh if he is home).
                            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I LOVE the Melting Pot.....we went in Gainesville and it inspired our near-annual fondue meals for Christmas. Though...we had Turkey again at Christmas this year :> hehehehe.

I think....I'm going to go grab some fondue stuff for us to ring in the new year with here!!! YUMMY

kris
                              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                              X