Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

SAHM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, maybe I'm just naive, but I never even thought about how being a SAHM might affect my job marketability in the event we ended up divorced. I guess I just don't think that way. I do, however, have a Roth IRA in my own name ... but I still think of it and DH's IRA together as being *our* retirement money, rather than mine and his.
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I know this discussion is divorce as it relates to stay at home decisions, but I think that some of the financial concerns apply in other situations such as death or disability of a spouse. Having accounts in both names, thinking about credit for both spouses, knowing where your assets are, etc is smart for a LOT of reasons.

Comment

Ok, I'm not a SAHM but I have to second what Nellie just said. Not to freak anyone out but our community lost a very young cardiac surgeon late last year, he was six months out of fellowship and died in a horrific car accident. He left behind four daughters and a wife that hadn't worked in years, it shook me to the core and made me realize that even if do become a SAHM (which I plan to do) we will have good health insurance for BOTH parents because you never know. And to make sure that once we're out of residency/fellowship that insurance is updated to reflect the true earning potential.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I agree with Nellie, too--we've always had pretty hefty life insurance and disability insurance policies so that we'll be taken care of should something happen to my dh.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Don't forget about yourself for life insurance, SueC.

(Nope, not selling it ).

Comment

I left my job about 1 1/2 years ago and I do sometimes worry about whether or not I could get a good job should something happen to dh. I used to work for a recruiting firm and you wouldn't believe how many of our clients threw out resumes of candidates who had been out of the workforce for 6 months, let alone 6 years. It was an eyeopener.

Thankfully, we do have excellent life/disability policies, I have my own retirement accounts, and both of our names are on everything (although we probably need to change that for malpractice reasons.) I cringe whenever we have to make a disability payment, but I couldn't imagine not having the insurance because, if dh ever became disabled, I would only be able to earn about 1/10th as much as him. If not for the disability insurance, we would surely lose everything.

Comment

spouse's sucky job x constantly sick kids) + cross country interviews + (no extended family)(two separate drop offs) + job = crabby bitch mommy

I just loved the tiny print......and I SO feel you, girl!!!

I would respond to the questions, but I honestly don't have it in me....I am too tired from caring for a child with a 104+ fever for the last 3 days, plus working full time!!!!

Comment

I hope she feels better soon, Marla.

Comment

Marla,

Should we ever meet IRL, the first round of drinks (alcoholic or otherwise) is on me my friend.

I hope Keelin feels better soon.

Kelly
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                    X