Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Were you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I never even considered it. The girls that I knew that were in sororities didn't seem like people I wanted to hang out with.

DH was Pi Kappa Alpha.
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Was this the same at other Universities?
      Nope, most of the sorority girls at my school were the WASP'y types - blond and straight.

Comment

Nope, ours was classification by lifestyle:

I can't even remember what the sororities were but there were the serious dorky girls, the party girls (aka the girls most likely to be arrested), the girls most likely to get married graduation weekend, and the ones that appeared to be nice but were really evil in sweater sets...

Needless to say, my irreverence for all things official didn't fit well. and I was recruited or whatever the term is by three of them and because my bestest pal was 1) fat, 2) Jewish and 3) smarter than all of them they wouldn't include her so I basically told them to bite me.

Jenn

Comment

Nope, not me.

When I was in college and working at the campus child development center, one of the fraternities had chosen to take our center into their philanthropy. So, what was their philanthropic project?? They donated several bags of Halloween candy for our 2 & 3 year old kids.

Comment

I think it depends somewhat on the school you went to. I initially attended a small liberal arts school -- we didn't have a greek system at all. When I went to a big state school, there was a high participation rate in the greek system.

The roommate I had the longest was part of it when we started living together but then decided to leave because it was expensive (holy cow!!!) and didn't fit for her as much. Some of her close friends from there lived with us over the summers. I don't think we would have met or spent time together otherwise but I'm glad that I did (well, expect one of them ).

Comment

Not me either.... but I did go to Florida State. I wonder if we were there at the same time Rebecca?
              Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Maybe! I was there from 95-98
                Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

I was a GDI in college. My roommate was Gamma Phi Beta.

Laura- Did I know you went to Miami? I went there for grad school. Did you go to the Saloon and Mac & Joes? My two favorite hang outs. The reason I heard for the school not having sorority houses sounded curious to me.

Jennifer
                  Needs

Comment

Every college I went to I was I.Tappa.Kegga

DW was Pi Phi for a year....they are still sending her stuff in the mail, she never paid her dues....but they would love a "donation" so she can "keep in touch" with all the "girls of the house".....(insert gag-me-with-a-spoon smiley here)

Comment

Matt- I was the sweetheart of I Tappa Kegga...what a coincidence!

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by ladybug
                        I think it's a Southern thang. I was a Chi-O in Texas. I was their worst nightmare, though, and they threatened to kick me out twice for "unlady like behavior"

I'm sure that's shocking, huh
                        :!

Now you've got me curious.

Comment

Grew up in the midwest....so no southern thang here to pledge..I was a Delta Zeta (Laura--the Alpha chapter of DZ is at Miami of Ohio). DH was a Delta Chi....I am honestly glad I pledged...I was reluctant but my sister encouraged me (she went to KU and never pledged). My school was a small liberal arts school, so it felt like a great thing to do. Expensive? At times..."Buying your friends"? I never thought so. I did, however meet my best friend in the world when I pledged. She and I have not lived in the same city for over 5 years and we still talk nearly every single day.

Comment

I was an AGD -- for a year, then transfered to another school.

The Greek system was not a fit for me. Too many rules and dumb stuff you HAD to attend. But that's me.
                            Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

OMG, Flynn we are twins residing in parallel universes.

Kelly
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

TOO WEIRD!!!!!!
                                Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
                                X