Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dyson vacuum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyson vacuum

We are going to get a new vacuum, have you used a dyson or an oreck? They are expensive, so I want to make sure we pick a good one!

Oh my, hold on to your hat. There are some Dyson junkies here (not me, can't afford one). If I had the extra $$ I would definitely get one.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Look for the Post called Ode to my Dyson or something similar.

If I had one appliance that I would move and everything else had to be tossed- My Dyson would come with me.

Best money we've ever spent, and I'm not kidding.

Jenn

Comment

ahhhhhh .... my dyson. I remember the day it came home with me - December 28, 2005. It was a sunny day - unseasonably warm. The first time I pressed that purple button .....

get the dyson. my husband even vacuums now b/c he thinks it's an extraordinary machine. I disagree - it's not a machine, it's a member of my family. I don't vacuum - I dyson.

Comment

Here it is ...

http://www.medicalspouse.com/forums/vie ... ight=dyson

I think the only thread that beats this is the "Tom & Katie - Is it real" thread in the Debate Forum.

Comment

Where is the best place to buy a Dyson? I am looking for a deal!
            Needs

Comment

Originally posted by jlynnb
              Where is the best place to buy a Dyson? I am looking for a deal!
              As I don't own a Dyson (yet, people), I will just enter this thread as a bargain hunter.

DC-14 All floors $408 Sears

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=02035513000

DC-14 All floors $406 Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=06&loc=01

DC-14 Animal $520.99 Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... =06&loc=01

Dyson DC-15 All Floors/The Ball - $474.99 Sears

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... 2035515000

DC14 - DC15 at Bed Bath and Beyond 429.99 - 599.99 (with 20% in-store coupon (343.99 - 479.99)

I don't know what model you want or anything like that. Check froogle.google.com.

Also, I did not select refurbishing models. Other girls can tell you what model to choose. I would like to know as well. If I don't have any animals, and I never will have any animals, which kind would you recommend. I would like it to suck the life out of anything it touches.

Thanks.

ETA: My coupon says NO on Dyson for Bed Bath and Beyond, but I have heard that they WILL, if fact, accept them, depending on the store. I would try it at least, as that appears to be the cheapest way to go.
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Can someone please tell me why Dysons are rated so low by consumer reports?? It has the Kenmore vacuums listed as the best.

Comment

We have all asked that question and none of us Dyson owners can believe it. We've had ours for three years now, with one extremely furry/shedding dog and three furballs/aka cats and have had not ONE problem. and I vaccum ONCE A DAY or more. It works perfectly, it picks up everything and if Dyson made other appliances, I'd buy them, too.

Jenn in Indiana- do you know anyone who is military? We got ours on base for about $100 bucks off plus there's no sales tax.

DCJenn

Comment

Heidi -- I'm stumped on the Consumer Reports as well. Maybe the others are better, per their tests, but the Dyson is still amazing? Our front-loader washer was the lowest rated in CR but also the least expensive. Maybe the others are better, but compared to the washer we had before, I'm amazed! It seems like maybe there is less difference between appliances than there used to be?

Our vacuum is on its last leg. We've had it for only 2 or so years. Next up is a Dyson or Miele. I think Crystal was going to get a Miele??

Comment

I still love my Dyson DC-14 Animal after six months, I will never go back.

A theory I have on the Consumer Reports is that they test them brand new and take into account their price. Dyson's are expensive and directly out the box any vaccuum cleaner works well. Let the bag fill or use it for six months and then see how they suck compared to each other, that is when the Dyson stands out in my opinion.

Also, remember that they are more expensive out of the gate but you'll never have to buy bags again.

Love, love, love my Dyson!
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Good point about performance down the line, Cheri.

I think that CR is biased toward Kenmore products. When we moved into this house, we had to buy a washer/dryer, replace the stove, fridge, and dishwasher. We mostly bought Frigidaire appliances. Most of the Kenmore that I looked at were the same Frigidaire models with a Kenmore label yet ranked higher in CR.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheri
                          I still love my Dyson DC-14 Animal after six months, I will never go back.

A theory I have on the Consumer Reports is that they test them brand new and take into account their price. Dyson's are expensive and directly out the box any vaccuum cleaner works well. Let the bag fill or use it for six months and then see how they suck compared to each other, that is when the Dyson stands out in my opinion.

Also, remember that they are more expensive out of the gate but you'll never have to buy bags again.

Love, love, love my Dyson!
                          Thats the thing though. They are rated lower on cleaning, like their ability to get dust up. I have a Hoover Windtunnel Self-Propelled Bagless that is rated higher than the DC-14 and DC-07. I don't have to buy bags for mine, and I haven't noticed that it has lost much in the way of suction. I still get a scary amount of crap out of my carpet. Does it work as well as it did new? No, but still really good, and I have heard the same about the Dyson, that it does in fact lose suction, in spite of their claims. Also, I have had my vacuum for about 4 years now.

I'm just not convinced. Even with all this lurve going around.

My vaccum got -

Cleaning carpet: Very good
                          Cleaning bare floors: Excellent
                          Cleaning with tools: Good
                          Ease of use: Good
                          Noise: Fair
                          Emissions: Excellent

The Dyson DC-14 (seems to be the most popular model) got -

Cleaning carpet: Good
                          Cleaning with tools: Good
                          Ease of use: Fair
                          Noise: Good

Whereas, the Kenmore (also bagless) got -

Cleaning carpet: Excellent
                          Cleaning with tools: Very Good
                          Ease of use: Good
                          Noise: Good

I have Kenmore appliances, and I have loved them. I guess I am totally skeptical. I can't see the dyson being that much better. Does anyone who lives near me have one? I'll come pick it up, do a test run, and then I will decide.

So it can't be just the price. I mean, I know that is factored in, but here are the cleaning things. I think my next vacuum might be a Kenmore. Please, convince me otherwise if I am making a mistake!

Comment

You have a mission, Heidi! I hope someone close to you does have a Dyson. I'd love to hear what you think.

Want me to mail you some doghair dust bunnies for the pet hair test?

Comment

I found this article re: why dyson is rated so low.

http://www.vacorama.com/consumer_report ... ained.html

I've also been told "ease of use" is a complaint ... sure, the gadgets are kind of funky at first .. but one use & you know what you're doing.

I will always swear that my dyson picks up more stuff than any other vac I've ever had. The one we were using when I bought it was <3 months old (albeit a cheapy) and the dyson picked up SO much more after running it ... and was easier to push!

Comment

Working...
                              X