Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dyson vacuum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jesher
    I found this article re: why dyson is rated so low.

http://www.vacorama.com/consumer_report ... ained.html

I've also been told "ease of use" is a complaint ... sure, the gadgets are kind of funky at first .. but one use & you know what you're doing.

I will always swear that my dyson picks up more stuff than any other vac I've ever had. The one we were using when I bought it was <3 months old (albeit a cheapy) and the dyson picked up SO much more after running it ... and was easier to push!
    K, so I read this article, but even they say that the things they look for the most are longevity. They say the dyson is made from clunky materials and won't last as long as other brands. Some of the brands that they say that consumer reports does not test, they do. In fact, the brand they recommend most, the Sebo, is on the Consumer reports rankings. So while I don't think the rankings are flawless, or should be beleived at face value, bottom line is I want my vacuum cleaner to clean. Most of the vacuums that they believe to be superior are more $$ than the Dyson, and none are bagless. They have a bias against the bagless.

I have had bags before, and I don't care if they are more cost effective in the long run (buying new filters, etc.), I like to see that I am getting something up. I just like the bagless better. They claim that the dirt isn't sealed. Well, if a bagged vacuum really picked up as much as my bagless, I would have to change the bag every week! That's a lot of bags! I have only bought one new filter for my vacuum, and I didn't really need to. I just cleaned the old one, and it worked fine.

Maybe we should move this to the debate forum !

Before my current vaccum, I had a Eureka Boss. It was horrible. It got up the stuff you could see, but I only changed the bag in that once a year. Imagine the filth in my carpet. Ah well, it was an apartment. But still, EWWWW.

I would like to do my own testing. You think a vacuum store would let me take all the models home and test them?

K- So I can't trust the Consumer Reports rankings...

Now what?
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by heidi
      I would like to do my own testing. You think a vacuum store would let me take all the models home and test them?
      Tell them you are writing an article about vacuums.

Comment

A few months ago I picked up a Dyson and a Kenmore canister vac from Sears, tested both out, and ended up returning the Dyson. :! I think they each cost around $450 so there wasn't a price difference. The Dyson did do marginally better on the carpeted areas, but the Kenmore did much better on the hardwoods & sisal rugs.

I prefer the Kenmore because it cleans closer up to the baseboards, it is easier to use on the stairs, it cleans under furniture without needing an attachment, and I can switch between carpet/rugs/bare floors with the push of a button on the handle, it only takes about 1.5 seconds to wind up the cord, and it isn't as bulky. I'm usually holding ds with one arm while I vacuum with the other and, with the Kenmore, I can vacuum the entire house without ever having to put my son down. Plus it is super quiet so I feel comfortable using it while holding my son.

The downside are the bags, but it only takes about 30 seconds to change them. I had read that you don't have to change bags as often because the dust gets packed more firmly into the bags than it does in a bagless canister...picks up the same amount, takes up less space. I did do a test where I went over the carpet (next to kitty's litterbox so there was lots of litter to pick up) with the Kenmore and then went over it again with a Dyson and the Dyson only picked up a few more pieces of litter. Not enough to warrant keeping the Dyson.

I really wanted to be able to call myself a Dyson owner, though....

Comment

ANOTHER dyson thread!
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Guess, I didn't realize this was going to turn into a debate. I'll tell you why I bought my Dyson over other bagless options.

I have a beagle, beagles don't shed a lot but what they do shed are the small fine hairs. We have 14 year old carpet which has been through six kids (none of which were ours) and we hope to replace it next year but in the mean time I wanted something that I knew would get up ALL of Molly's little hairs and the Dyson DC-14 does just that.

Happy shopping!
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I got the Kenmore upright model about 10 weeks ago, at Sears. DH and I didn't really consider the Dyson (although I had read all the raves) because of the price. I am in love with my Kenmore. There are indicator lights that monitor how much stuff is being picked up so that you know how long to keep going over a certain area (I don't know if the Dyson has that feature) and that has been great, not just for me, but for the boys when I have them vacuum. Somehow, when *technology* is telling them that the job isn't done, it is much more motivating than when Mom tells them. Go figure.

The suction on this vacuum is by far the best I have ever had, even on bare floors and when I am using the attachments. Before this, I had gone through two Eureka Boss vacuums (which were crap) and a cheap Hoover. So......I can't really compare it to the Dyson, because I have never used one, but this one does everything I need it to do, better by far than any other vacuum I have had.

Sally
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Sally, I have the upright Kenmore, too. We have been very happy with it since buying it three years ago. I like the dirt indicator. I notice when a new vacuum bag is put in, it works the best. However, when we use our steam vacuum on the carpets after the regular vacuum and we still get lots of lint balls that is discouraging. DH wants to get a Dyson, but I am worried it won't do any better.

I would love to borrow one to test it out first.

Jennifer
                Needs

Comment

our old vacuum had an indicator light ... and it never changed to green. either the light was crap or the vacuum was crap b/c it never picked up enough stuff.

i figure whatever makes me actually clean is worth it, and Bruce has the same kind of hair that Cheri's beagle has. The get down into everything.

Comment

We had a great Hoover- it had a filter, no bags. However, it disappeared in one of the moves. (I don't even remember which one) so I sent Rick to the PX to get a new one and he (being a guy=gadget person) bought the Dyson. That said, we have the 07/animal model and it does get everything- the kitties downy fur and Peteys razor like outerfur and his 18 tons of underfur. and the upholstery attachment cannot be beat.

Jenn

Comment

We have a Simplicity vac (cannister) that uses bags. We tried the bagless thing when we first moved here and just didn't like it.

I love our vacuum cleaner. We've had it for a few years now and it sucks up the cat hair from 3 cats and our Australian shephard's dog hair easily. The attachments are great and it is easy to carry up/down stairs and use. It was expensive, but our warranty covered any repairs in the first 2 years. We even were able to get it repaired after Aidan pushed it down the stairs and a piece broke.

If I had to buy another vac, I'd get this one in a hearbeat.

Yes, we change bags a lot...BUT...when we had our bagless, we had to empty it just as frequently. I like that the bags keep everything sealed away and I don't have to breathe in the dander and dust when I empty it.

kris

Comment

I'm a Kenmore upright owner (in "rumba red"). I love the Sears brand and have been thrilled with this vacuum. It picked up Maine Coon cat fur, Border Collie/GSD fuzz and works great on all surfaces. I've had to replace a belt, but it was pretty easy to do and has not lost suction over the years.

I also have a shop vac for the messy home improvement projects. Now, THAT I love.

Comment

I love Maine Coons! We 'fostered' one for awhile and we would have kept him except it upset the balance of cats in the house.

Comment

I had a Maine Coon in high school, Maverick....he stayed with my parents when I left for college. My mom couldn't stand to lose both me and the cat. Such a sweet (and gigantic) cat!

Comment

Maude, I miss our shopvac. We sold it in the big move and now my Hoover gets used! My barely one year old Hoover.

The vacs we had before this were Panasonics and the cheap Dirt Devil. They didn't suck well, which really sucked.

The Hoover is bagless, and I empty it out every time I use it and brush off the filter because the thought of all that dirt sitting around oogs me out, which is part of the reason we got a bagless. THough my aunt in law's Miele is making me rethink that.

I swear there is more dirt in the air here, or the people in both the house and the apt we first stayed in were really grungy because we NEVER got this much dirt out of our carpets anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
                                Our vacuum is on its last leg. We've had it for only 2 or so years. Next up is a Dyson or Miele. I think Crystal was going to get a Miele??
                                I am still leaning towards the Miele--- I have a good friend who has had her's for 4 years now, no problems, and cleans hardwood floors and other areas like a dream. We haven't bought another vacuum. I need to "convince" dh that the Hoover we have is dying. Huh, you would think so when I have to fiddle with the on switch just to get it going.

Crystal
                                Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Working...
                                X