Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How long is your and/or your SO's commute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dandelion
    DH's commute is 25 minutes, 35-40 in the winter. In this area, it's considered quite a long commute, but it doesn't bother DH...he grew up in Los Angeles, so the commute here pales in comparison.
    I know what he means....I lived in LA for about 5 years. I did a 2 hour/80 mile (each way ) commute for 2 years and then did a 1 hour/12 mile commute for 3 years. The 12 mile commute was the most frustrating because I could look up the coast and see where my office was, but just couldn't get there because of gridlock.

Comment

Under 5 minutes. We love it. During med school, it was 30 minutes, minimum, an hour at the most, so this change has been welcome. DH just commented the other day how we don't have to fill the gas tank every week like we used to.

Comment

Originally posted by shella
        DH just commented the other day how we don't have to fill the gas tank every week like we used to.
        Yes, yes, yes. This is a consideration. Don't overlook the gas cost when you start talking about 20-30 miles each way. It doesn't sound like much, but when you realize that you are adding about $6 per day in gas it does add up.

Comment

We're 2 1/2 miles from the hospital so it takes 5 to 10 mins. Right now he's on rotation in another hospital. His commute is 30 mins to an hour, he hates it. I think with the amount of free time he has, the last thing he wants to do is spend it driving. It's two hours less sleep, or less time for us to spend together. Time is very precious!!
          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

nine miles/15 minutes!!
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

His is 10 minutes, mine is from the bedroom to the desk. :=

His has been as long as an hour and a half by subway in MS1&2, mine ranged from 40-55 minutes for the past eight years.

We both grew up with parents who commuted, at times, more than an hour each way. To me anything under an hour doesn't suck, and anything under 30 min is sweeet.
              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

It takes DW about 20 minutes, about 22 miles.

Comment

It sounds like a fabulous town, Annie...definitely worth a test run.

ITA about the home call...they inevitably have to go in anyways -- it's usually a matter of when.
                  Married to pediatric surgery fellow, SAHM to 2 munchkins

Comment

DH: 10 to 50 minutes depending on which hospital he is at

Me: 40 minutes, but if you add two child care drop offs 90 minutes. That is why I'm THRILLED to get the kids into the same place.

Kelly
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Annie, are you near Saratoga? How far is it from you to NYC? We're still scouring for a new location and your description sounds really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ladybug
                        Call me crazy, but I actually prefer [in-house call] to listening to a pager all night and having him inevitably get up and go in at some point.
                        Nope, not crazy. I actually didn't mind in-house call during GS intern year, b/c it also meant it kept his cranky mood (from being on call) at the hospital too! :>

I definitely agree with trying out the commute during a typical rush hour, but the community sounds wonderful and if you can make it work I say go for it!

We live about 5 miles from the hospital, it takes DH about 15-20 minutes. Since he takes home call now, we had to live fairly close.
                        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by ladybug
                          I like the idea of trying the drive during evening rush hour. I don't think 30 minutes is that big of a deal, but I wouldn't want it to go over on a regular basis.
                          With a dawkter's schedule? How often will he be commuting with the masses? Even my pathologist husband never comes home during rush hour (maybe he's just a pathological pathologist).

I think the biggest test for you guys will be snow.

Comment

That does sound great! I would want to move there too. Especially since it isn't a whole lot further than the current commute.

Try rush hour and report back.

Comment

Annie, never been to Albany but always wanted to visit Saratoga. I'm curious to see if you still like it as much in the winter. I heard that some places that are all pretty in the summer can get depressing in the winter. I don't mean to discourage you, I just want to be cautious.

Comment

We live less than 3 miles from the hospital. Takes him about 10 minutes door to door. My commute is about 15-20 mins depending on traffic.

I think renting to try out the distance is a good idea...

Comment

Working...
                                X