Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

College Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, now that football season is over (at least in college) it is time to resurrect this thread.

I just have to say that my Jayhawks looked FABULOUS last night, beating the #9 team by 30 points! :ra:

(Of course, as always, now that I have gloated they'll lose on Saturday to the Cyclones. )
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

First of all......Bobby Knight is a complete ASS. (and yes, my hometown is Purdue's hometown. ) I just about died when he ended up at Texas Tech after IU got rid of him. I had been enjoying living in TX and not having to see his ugly mug on the news.

Second, my alma mater, Butler University, is ranked 12th (at least I think that is what I heard this morning) in the nation! If you guys knew what a small school Butler is, you would be SO much more impressed than you are now, I'm sure. It is very exciting to see them doing so well.....I will be cheering for them all the way.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

It really is good to see "mid-major" schools doing so well. However schools that start with B are not allowed to play KU in the 1st round of the NCAA. Last year was the 2nd year in a row we lost to a "mid-major" school that started with a B in the 1st round. [/i]

Comment

Have to cheer! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

The score of last night's game (granted it was Nebraska) was 43-16. Go Hawks!

If anyone is interested in seeing more about my beloved Jayhawks ESPN's Game Day will be broadcasting from Lawrence this weekend and KU will be playing at 8pm on Saturday on ESPN against Texas A&M.

GO HAWKS! :ra:

Comment

What does that mean: Rock Chalk Jayhawk?
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

KU's world famous Rock Chalk Chant evolved from a cheer that a chemistry professor, E.H.S. Bailey, created for the KU science club in 1886. Bailey's version was "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU" repeated three times. The rahs were later replaced by "Rock Chalk," a transposition of chalk rock, the name for the limestone outcropping found on Mount Oread, site of the Lawrence campus.

The cheer became known worldwide. Teddy Roosevelt pronounced it the greatest college chant he'd ever heard. Legend has it that troops used the chant when fighting in the Philippines in 1899, in the Boxer Rebellion in China, and in World War II. At the Olympic games in 1920, the King of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell. The assembled athletes agreed on KU's Rock Chalk and rendered it for His Majesty.

ETA: If you ever watch a KU basketball game on TV you'll hear it chanted towards the end of the game when we're winning. Even in away stadiums.

Comment

Did you just write that?!
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison

Did you just write that?!
                  No, I pulled it off the KU website. I couldn't have explained it that well. ETA: I'll go back and quote it.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
                    ESPN's Game Day will be broadcasting from Lawrence this weekend
                    should I go get drunk and try to get on camera?? just about 20 minutes away from me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
                      KU's world famous Rock Chalk Chant evolved from a cheer that a chemistry professor, E.H.S. Bailey, created for the KU science club in 1886. Bailey's version was "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU" repeated three times. The rahs were later replaced by "Rock Chalk," a transposition of chalk rock, the name for the limestone outcropping found on Mount Oread, site of the Lawrence campus.

The cheer became known worldwide. Teddy Roosevelt pronounced it the greatest college chant he'd ever heard. Legend has it that troops used the chant when fighting in the Philippines in 1899, in the Boxer Rebellion in China, and in World War II. At the Olympic games in 1920, the King of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell. The assembled athletes agreed on KU's Rock Chalk and rendered it for His Majesty.

ETA: If you ever watch a KU basketball game on TV you'll hear it chanted towards the end of the game when we're winning. Even in away stadiums.
                      Well, that's a much better explanation than I got from SueC. And then there is dh, who thought that THE Jayhawk mascot was actually named Rock Chalk. At least I knew THAT was wrong.

Comment

I hear a lot of noise here, but living in Madison, I know that's all it is, because this is the Badger's year!!

Comment

I'll admit UW looks great right now - however its only January

At least we have a real champion when all is said and done - is it March/April yet?

Comment

PAC 10 supporters here but DH really loves those UCLA Bruins.

Comment

WAHOOWA!

Comment

Originally posted by uvagradk
                                WAHOOWA!
                                I gather UVA won last night? I saw that it went in to overtime but missed the end. I'm always glad to see Duke lose!

Comment

Working...
                                X