Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Chicagoans! Need info, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicagoans! Need info, please!

Well, Loyola's law school is fairly near NMH and they're both near good public transportation (El and bus) so it certainly widens your housing alternatives. We lived on the North Side in Lincoln Square and paid $1165 for a huge 2-bedroom that allowed pets. You should be able to do it.

Originally posted by ladybug
    I worked at NWM downtown as a nurse, and it's definitely a posh hospital-rarely do those two words meet. The computer system is killer and the staffing is superb. He'll dig it. Public transportation is par excellent. We easily lived with one car, so that reduces monthly expenses. You can rent for less than 2K if you leave the immediate downtown area.
    ITA - I worked in one of the research labs at Northwestern and the hospital is like a hotel! Loyola is a bit north of NWM (maybe 5 miles?) but you should be able to find something between the 2 and/or west of the lake. Public transportation is incredible and you can easily do with one car. 3 bedrooms for $2K per month? It depends on where/how you want to live. I recommend looking on google to see the locations of each and then go to online rental sites to get an idea of rent in those areas. We lived just off Montrose and Lake Shore Drive and I worked at Northwestern and took classes at Loyola. Both were close enough to our apartment and I was able to use public transportation.
    *sigh* I miss living in Chicago!

Comment

Don't know of anything helpful but I'm excited for you guys - I love the Chicago area. Good luck!

Comment

Cool. We're in Evanston and my husband is at Evanston Hospital. He will have rotations at the downtown location, but hasn't yet.

My brother and his wife live in Wrigleyville and know the city better than I do--I'll ask them about your questions.
        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

We live in Lincoln Park, just north of downtown/Loop.
          As far as your questions, are you talking U of Chicago or U of Illinois/Chicago? The U of C is in Hyde Park and is located south of Northwestern. By car, it's an easy 10 minute drive between the two. That's without rush hour. With rush hour, I'd give it about 45 minutes. The Metra offers a good commuter rail option and it only takes about 20 minutes to get into the city (from Hyde Park). Don't bank on taking the Red Line to Hyde Park; it's unsafe.

Convenient neighborhoods for the U of C are Hyde Park itself (it's an island located in an unsafe area). The South Loop is an up and coming area apparently, but it's a concrete jungle. If your husband is driving, then I would say the northernmost cutoff is Lincoln Park/Lakeview. They're do-able with the hours that he'll have. Wrigleyville is iffy with the baseball traffic. Getting in and out of there quickly can be a pain if you've got to get somewhere ASAP. The one drawback to Lincoln Park (or convenient neighborhoods like River North, Old Town, Gold Coast) is the cost of living - I think $2000 for a 3-bedroom is stretching it. You might be able to find a place for $2000, but it won't be pretty and it likely won't include parking.
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

My brother suggests Rogers Park, but I don't know. People on here definitely have more knowledge of the hospitals, etc.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”

Comment

As a student at Loyola, Rogers Park is kinda iffy, it depends on where you end up in Roger's Park. I would say check out the west loop because youll be only 15/20 minutes from both NMH and Loyola Law School via public transportation and only like 5 if you drive and things are VERY reasonably priced. Loyola Law School is about a 10 minute walk from NMH.

I don't know much about U of C or UIC (not sure which one you were referring to) if you have any questions about the Chicagoland area feel free to PM me, I have been living here for the past 14 years and DF for all 27 years of his life!

Comment

All I know is that there is a fantastic breakfast place very near the Norhtwestern med school (West Egg?).

Man, it fixed us up after a long night at some fab wine bar (name escapes me).

We also had a great meal at Bin 35 (55? 54?) (it was all about the wine that weekend)

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by CityChic919
                  As a student at Loyola, Rogers Park is kinda iffy, it depends on where you end up in Roger's Park.
                  Yeah, my brother did specifiy east of Sheridan or west of Western Av. I left that part off.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
                    Originally posted by CityChic919
                    As a student at Loyola, Rogers Park is kinda iffy, it depends on where you end up in Roger's Park.
                    Yeah, my brother did specifiy east of Sheridan or west of Western Av. I left that part off.
                    yah the parts inbetween are WAY sketch even though I have many loyola friends who live in between I would never walk to their places in a group of less then 4 girls without a boy...

Comment

East of Sheridan basically puts you waterfront! $$$$$

Comment

in rogers park its really not that $$$ you can get a 3 bedroom for like $1200 because the surrounding area isnt that great

Comment

Originally posted by jloreine
                          All I know is that there is a fantastic breakfast place very near the Norhtwestern med school (West Egg?).
                          We love West Egg! Every time we make it to Chicago we try to eat there. ITA, it's fantastic.

That's all I have to contribute to this thread.
                          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Our fav breakfast place in Chicago is Tempo. E. Chestnut & N. State Street (w/in walking distance from Michigan Ave). It's to DIE for. It used to be this tiny icky place, but they built a new one right across the street.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of Rogers Park unless I'm driving through (FAST!) to get to Evanston. It can be seedy, but you're right, it's pretty affordable in comparison to other areas.

Comment

Working...
                              X