Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Male medspouse roll call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like I'm less active just because of my somewhat unique position and experience vis a vis being a spouse of an "MS-6" with no end in sight, but I try to chime in when I can!
    - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

LOL. There are plenty of us who were PGY-youarefingkiddingme!
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Welcome and kudos to stay at home dad/parent whose role is extremely important but often much neglected =( I am a stay home wife who also works part time (once per week) as a office cleaner (GASP!!). Moved from home country (Malaysia) to be with DH for his peds residency. Would like to do some stay home work to stimulate my dusty brain (but no idea how or what to do).
        Match Day was the happiest day of my life... followed by my wedding day...

Comment

There will be a graduation eventually! DH was in med school 9 years (2 med+5phd+2med). I never thought we would finish!
          Veronica
          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I don't feel unwelcome at all either. I think the main reason I don't post more often is that I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I keep revising/rephrasing my posts before I submit them so it takes me a while. I'm trying to get better though.

Comment

v-girl, I can top that! We did 2med+6phd+2med. In residency now and fellowship is likely, so we're looking at 17 years total in training.

Comment

Originally posted by bobk View Post
                I don't feel unwelcome at all either. I think the main reason I don't post more often is that I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I keep revising/rephrasing my posts before I submit them so it takes me a while. I'm trying to get better though.
                Holla!! I am the same way.

Seriously though, we love to hear the XY perspective. I have been active in our local medical alliance (hate that name BTW) and wish had more male spouses. As a med educator, I see just as many female students/residents as I see male. Therefore, I KNOW the male spouses are out there. We have planned events geared towards them but they don't seem as interested. I think we may need a male president for the group...problem is they are too smart and know how to say "no" before getting suckered into that.
                Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

v-girl, I can top that! We did 2med+6phd+2med. In residency now and fellowship is likely, so we're looking at 17 years total in training.
                  Oh. my. goodness. I am such a wimp I quit working a few months into residency. We will be 14 years total (3 years residency + 2 years fellowship).
                  Veronica
                  Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                    LOL. There are plenty of us who were PGY-youarefingkiddingme!
                    Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                    There will be a graduation eventually! DH was in med school 9 years (2 med+5phd+2med). I never thought we would finish!
                    oh yeah, totally, I didn't mean I was the only one to ever go through the long haul, but I'm the only one on the board who is in the phd years right now, so there's not a lot I can contribute. And since we've been in the research years for so long, I feel like an old pro, so there aren't many questions I have about where we are now. That combined with our lack of spawn means that like 90% of the topics here I don't really have much to add.

I'm sure once we're back in med school and especially once we start gearing up toward match I'll have more to share, and I always love hearing other people's experiences!

I could talk more about work, but how many people really want to hear about soybean lawsuits?

Comment

If the question is more of "why are the demographics of the forum not reflecting the demographics of the practice of medicine" I think that's probably more to do with the different roles that male spouses of doctors and doctors-to-be tend to play (which, in turn, would reflect the different career paths that female doctors tend to follow), which I think would be a fascinating discussion probably.

Comment

That would be a great conversation! It would be interesting to look at how the field is changing. In our general surgery program, there are more women than men! That would have been unheard of years ago!
                        I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I think it could be fascinating to hear about soybean lawsuits!
                          Last edited by Momo; 10-22-2011, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Autocorrect? Lol
                            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                              Autocorrect? Lol
                              I really hope not...I really want to hear more!!
                              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Scrub jay, did you see "Food Inc.?"

Comment

Working...
                                X