Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How to Lose Weight, Make New Friends and Get Paid for Doing It!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• How to Lose Weight, Make New Friends and Get Paid for Doing It by Jennifer Hussey

First, a bit of an introduction. I am Jenn Hussey, and I have been glued to the iMSN site since my husband’s internship year. Yes, another spouse surfing the web at 2am, bored and lonely. Since then, the iMSN family has held my hand through all of life’s great adventures, including the April 2005 adoption of our son Nikolai from Perm, Russia.

Prior to the adoption, I had a job that required weekly travel. I did this for two and a half years and packed on about 20 pounds. I worked out whenever possible but it was inconsistent at best. While in Russia, I was able to get a jumpstart on my plan to get back in shape because I was so bored I had nothing else to do BUT workout. What inspired me? I wanted to look and feel better than I had in recent weeks. I had an entire wardrobe of clothes that no longer fit. I didn’t want to be one of those moms who can’t keep up with their kids. Once back in the States, I was determined to keep it up. I requested a jogging stroller for Mother’s Day, 2005.

That week, I was reading the Washington Post health section where I saw a notice for a new mom’s exercise group forming- a group called Stroller Strides. A lightbulb went off. I was determined to be there! Other moms? Exercise? Adult conversation? A class that didn’t mind if my child had a meltdown, needed a bottle, a fresh diaper? My beloved husband came home the night before the first class with an exercise stroller and all became right in my world.

I went to the first class, held on the Mall at the Smithsonian Carousel. I loved it! It was 45 minutes of walking interspersed with band exercises. The last 15 minutes of class were spent on abdominal work and stretching. I soon realized just how out of shape I had become. I signed up on the spot. The following day, I delighted in my sore muscles. I went back again and again. By July, other moms were complimenting me on how great my arms were looking. I was actually fitting in shorts that I hadn’t been able to get into the previous summer.

During the three days a week classes, I was also making friends. I hadn’t prepared for how much I was going to miss adult interaction as a stay-at-home parent (SAHP). The women I met were typical of the people in DC- every race, religion and political belief. We’ve have had dads and nannies come, too. Some of us were SAHPs, some on maternity leave, some working full- or part-time. ALL of us were extremely happy to have a way to get back into shape from whatever path to parenthood we took.

I was also talking quite a bit to the owner of the DC franchise, Ciri Raynor. She’s a fellow military spouse so we had some common ground. I told her that I was interested in seeing if Stroller Strides had locations in any of the areas that the Army might send us. Stroller Strides is a national company, started in California. To become a franchisee, a person must contact the main office. For 99 dollars, they will conduct a demographics study of the area in which you live (or are going). The franchises are set up based on zip code areas and the operator may only teach and advertise within that area. There are three different levels of involvement based on the available market in your zip code. The franchises range in price from $2700 to a little over $5000. With the franchise, the owner also gets corporate support, marketing assistance and discounts on equipment.

The franchisee must also have the two-day instructor training and the national office has meetings and teleconferences for the franchisees to talk about trends in fitness, marketing, etc. It is up to the individual whether they are going to own and teach - or just own the franchise. Most people end up teaching.

Typically, the owner supplies the exercise equipment used by the student but students may buy their own through the owner, as well. Students on a group may live in different zip-codes, (for example, here in DC we have people who may live in DC but work in Maryland or Virginia, and vice versa) depending on which franchise has the best workout schedule to meet their needs. Franchise owners are also responsible for local advertising and for negotiating contracts with facilities such as malls or recreation centers for inside or winter exercise. There are also varying levels of membership for the students. Ciri offers monthly memberships at $50/month, a 10-class pass that has a 6-month time frame, and also two and three classes a week membership. Most students purchase the 10-class pass first and then join as members.

I’ve moved forward with my own business plans. I’ve contacted the national organization and they have completed the demographic study for me based on where I think the Army may send us. At this point I am waiting (the story of the medical spouse!) to find out where we will go. Once I am reasonably sure of our destination, I plan on purchasing a franchise and getting started as soon as possible. In the meantime, Ciri encouraged me to get started and become a certified Stroller Strides instructor. I thought about it and decided that if nothing else, as an instructor, I could seek employment from any of the other locations around the country. I took the two-day training, refreshed my CPR certification and obtained liability insurance.

During training, we were taught basic anatomy and were given a heavy concentration of information on exercises for pregnant and new mothers. The classes are designed for women who may be trying to conceive through to women with pre-school age kids. The little kids can use smaller bands and participate in the exercises if they choose. We also have heavier bands for men. Washington, DC has quite a few stay-at-home fathers and one of the locations has had quite a few fathers participate. We change some of the exercises to make sure that our male participants are challenged.

To be honest, it was very disconcerting going from one of the students to one of the instructors. My first few classes alternated between really easy to super hard. I had to learn to give the right cues to the students. I felt completely unsure of myself. I bought some books on band exercises and I prepped before the first few classes. Now, I look forward to each class and try to keep every class different from the last. There are also classes on the days that I don’t teach so I try to avoid doing what the other instructors have done. I continue to take a few classes a month, too. I like being “just” a student and enjoy taking some new or different exercises back to my students.

Stroller Strides also encourages playgroups. We have a playgroup coordinator who organizes themes and brings all of the equipment for each theme. We have had musical themed play groups, a “Fall Ball” where everyone brought their favorite balls, and we had a fantastic Halloween party. In early December we will have our grand opening for our inside location and our coordinator has lots of fun things planned.

Instructors are paid as consultants and receive tax documents at the end of the year. The base pay is 15 dollars a class and goes up from there. The more students I have, the more I am paid. Our playgroup coordinator doesn’t pay for her membership so I don’t count her in my class totals. I’m working 3 days a week for the winter months and it’s been a great experience. I have lost most of the 20 pounds, I have made some fantastic friends and I’m bringing in enough money to pay for little bills and extra treats. I’m certainly not the bread-winner, but it feels good to be out and about doing something. Best of all, I’m modeling a healthy lifestyle for Nikolai.

If you are interested in either becoming a student or a franchisee, the website is www.strollerstrides.com. There are other exercise programs for parents and children as well. In the DC area there is a strictly running group called See Mommy Run, www.seemommyrun.com. There are many, many yoga classes available through studios and local recreational departments. I encourage everyone to find a group and get out there.

Jennifer Hussey lives and works in Washington, D.C. She is the wife of a pediatric neurology fellow, the mother of the infamous 2 year-old Nickolai, and a founding member of the International Medical Spouse Network.
      Posting comments is disabled.

article_tags

Collapse

There are no tags yet.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Financial Survival During Residency by Kristen Math
      by PrincessFiona
      When my husband started residency, the last thing on our minds was balancing our checkbooks. With the stress of q3 call looming over our heads and the challenges of being parents to small children, we embraced the attitude “we will get by”. Of course, it’s true that we all find a way to navigate the financial challenges that arise during residency and fellowship. With the cost of interviewing, moving and medical board exams and state license fees that approach $1000, just getting by can be...
      02-23-2010, 03:42 PM
    • New Year, New Me by Kristen Math
      by PrincessFiona
      The plan was to live as if we were still in training once fellowship was over. My husband and I imagined paying off all of our debt in the first 5 years and accumulating enough savings to buy land, a house in Germany and travel to Disney World each year. Do you see where this is going? Obviously, our expectations were a little high. Because we also are poor managers of money, we haven’t saved a dime. If our retirement money wasn’t automatically deducted each month, we might be looking at a card...
      02-23-2010, 02:58 PM
    • The Bargain Hunters Guide to Christmas Shopping by Kristen Math
      by PrincessFiona
      It's only March 1st, and I’m almost done with next year’s Christmas shopping. I have sweaters for my husband, and a new Christmas serving set for my mom. Hidden away in my treasures are shirts for my dad and step-mom and a beautiful leather-bound Texas Hold’em poker chips set for my brother. I have already picked up some games and books for the children. I even have many stocking stuffers tucked away for St. Nick .It’s almost embarrassing that I’m such a penny pincher. Getting through...
      02-23-2010, 02:57 PM
    • Digging Out: Getting Out of Credit Card Debt by Angela DeBernardo
      by Sheherezade
      In the winter, when you hear the term “digging out” you think of large snowfalls and sore shoulders. Every January, a different kind of digging out begins in households across the nation – digging out of the hole you got into with Christmas spending. For medical residents, that hole can be enormous. With educational debt already high and your time and earning potential limited, consumer debt can seem insurmountable.

How’d We Get In This Mess In The First Place? First of al...
      02-23-2010, 02:32 PM
    • How to Lose Weight, Make New Friends and Get Paid for Doing It by Jennifer Hussey
      by DCJenn
      First, a bit of an introduction. I am Jenn Hussey, and I have been glued to the iMSN site since my husband’s internship year. Yes, another spouse surfing the web at 2am, bored and lonely. Since then, the iMSN family has held my hand through all of life’s great adventures, including the April 2005 adoption of our son Nikolai from Perm, Russia. Prior to the adoption, I had a job that required weekly travel. I did this for two and a half years and packed on about 20 pounds. I worked out wheneve...
      02-23-2010, 02:03 PM
    Working...
    X