Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Bargain Hunters Guide to

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• The Bargain Hunters Guide to Christmas Shopping by Kristen Math

It's only March 1st, and I’m almost done with next year’s Christmas shopping. I have sweaters for my husband, and a new Christmas serving set for my mom. Hidden away in my treasures are shirts for my dad and step-mom and a beautiful leather-bound Texas Hold’em poker chips set for my brother. I have already picked up some games and books for the children. I even have many stocking stuffers tucked away for St. Nick .It’s almost embarrassing that I’m such a penny pincher. Getting through residency required a certain level of creativity in matters financial and even though we are now six years out of training, I find myself sticking to a tight shopping budget.

Preparing for the birthdays and holidays in advance is a great way to save money and reduce gift-giving stress. Instead of hemorrhaging dollars in December and paying back the credit cards all year, or looking for that last minute birthday gift, it is satisfying to find items on sale early in the year and not have to rush.

Here are my top 5 Holiday Money Saving Tips:

1. Invest in several sturdy Rubbermaid containers large enough to hold your gifts, but small enough to store inside in a closet or utility room. If you celebrate Christmas, purchase large Ziploc freezer bags and label them with the name of each person and place them all in one of the storage boxes. Label the boxes to suit your needs. You might have a box for each member of the house, or a box or two for gifts and one for stocking stuffers. If you are like me, you might want to separate the boxes by event. I have two Christmas boxes and two birthday boxes. Decide what will work the best for you and your family. Each time you make a purchase throughout the year, place it neatly in the appropriate box. Stocking stuffers should be placed in the pre-labeled freezer bag for the individual it is intended.

2. Shop Department Store Clearance aisles from January through March to find holiday merchandise at deeply discounted prices. I am particularly fond of Kohl’s, though there are many bargains to be found at JCPenney’s, Sears, Herbergers and the other big name stores. I have found cute Holiday Sweaters for 60-80% off the regular price. I purchased a holiday dishware set for 90% off of the retail price. In addition, seasonal clothing items like corduroy slacks, warm sweaters and coats can be found for a fraction of their original cost. These items will keep nicely if they are stored properly.

3. Dollar Stores are great for finding small gifts as well as stocking stuffers throughout the year. Check back immediately after holidays to find their already rock-bottom prices 50% off. You can get table decorations, lights, children’s books, and crayons for next-to-nothing. Replenish your supply of birthday, anniversary or even baby shower cards by snapping up the 2 for $1 deal. Our dollar store stocks mittens, hats, scarves, purses, make-up, books, puzzles, games, candy and decorations. Last Christmas, our 3 year old got his Clifford the Dog puzzles from the dollar store. We purchased a set of KimPossible books for our daughter there and saved 80% off the cost of buying from Amazon or Barnes and Nobles.

4. Browse the ends of the aisles in toy stores and department stores like Target and Wal-Mart. Many of the good deals are often hidden away in order to lure you in to look at the more expensive non-sale items. Most of our children’s birthday gifts come from the end of the aisle. We have found Playmobil, Bratz and Legos for 50% off. My most pleasurable discovery was a Disney MixMax that was 30% reduced. Recently, I purchased two MixMax videos for my daughter for her upcoming birthday at 50% off.

5. Purchase wrapping paper, tape and cards when they are on sale and keep them in a wrapping paper storage center with a scissors and pen. If you have a good supply of wrapping paper, you will avoid running to the store at the last minute to pay full price for a gift bag, card or wrapping paper. I recently bought Christmas wrapping paper for $.25/roll at our local grocery store.

Preparing in advance for the holidays is a fun way to save time, money and stress throughout the year. It’s not too late to get your Christmas shopping for 2007 started!
      Posting comments is disabled.

article_tags

Collapse

There are no tags yet.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Financial Survival During Residency by Kristen Math
      by PrincessFiona
      When my husband started residency, the last thing on our minds was balancing our checkbooks. With the stress of q3 call looming over our heads and the challenges of being parents to small children, we embraced the attitude “we will get by”. Of course, it’s true that we all find a way to navigate the financial challenges that arise during residency and fellowship. With the cost of interviewing, moving and medical board exams and state license fees that approach $1000, just getting by can be...
      02-23-2010, 03:42 PM
    • New Year, New Me by Kristen Math
      by PrincessFiona
      The plan was to live as if we were still in training once fellowship was over. My husband and I imagined paying off all of our debt in the first 5 years and accumulating enough savings to buy land, a house in Germany and travel to Disney World each year. Do you see where this is going? Obviously, our expectations were a little high. Because we also are poor managers of money, we haven’t saved a dime. If our retirement money wasn’t automatically deducted each month, we might be looking at a card...
      02-23-2010, 02:58 PM
    • The Bargain Hunters Guide to Christmas Shopping by Kristen Math
      by PrincessFiona
      It's only March 1st, and I’m almost done with next year’s Christmas shopping. I have sweaters for my husband, and a new Christmas serving set for my mom. Hidden away in my treasures are shirts for my dad and step-mom and a beautiful leather-bound Texas Hold’em poker chips set for my brother. I have already picked up some games and books for the children. I even have many stocking stuffers tucked away for St. Nick .It’s almost embarrassing that I’m such a penny pincher. Getting through...
      02-23-2010, 02:57 PM
    • Digging Out: Getting Out of Credit Card Debt by Angela DeBernardo
      by Sheherezade
      In the winter, when you hear the term “digging out” you think of large snowfalls and sore shoulders. Every January, a different kind of digging out begins in households across the nation – digging out of the hole you got into with Christmas spending. For medical residents, that hole can be enormous. With educational debt already high and your time and earning potential limited, consumer debt can seem insurmountable.

How’d We Get In This Mess In The First Place? First of al...
      02-23-2010, 02:32 PM
    • How to Lose Weight, Make New Friends and Get Paid for Doing It by Jennifer Hussey
      by DCJenn
      First, a bit of an introduction. I am Jenn Hussey, and I have been glued to the iMSN site since my husband’s internship year. Yes, another spouse surfing the web at 2am, bored and lonely. Since then, the iMSN family has held my hand through all of life’s great adventures, including the April 2005 adoption of our son Nikolai from Perm, Russia. Prior to the adoption, I had a job that required weekly travel. I did this for two and a half years and packed on about 20 pounds. I worked out wheneve...
      02-23-2010, 02:03 PM
    Working...
    X