Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

New Year, New Me by Kristen Math

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• New Year, New Me by Kristen Math

The plan was to live as if we were still in training once fellowship was over. My husband
    and I imagined paying off all of our debt in the first 5 years and accumulating enough
    savings to buy land, a house in Germany and travel to Disney World each year. Do you
    see where this is going?

Obviously, our expectations were a little high. Because we also are poor managers of
    money, we haven’t saved a dime. If our retirement money wasn’t automatically deducted each month, we might be looking at a cardboard box in our future. We are still living paycheck to paycheck despite the best of intentions. It seems that now our wants and*needs* have just become more expensive. Each month we have set out with a new budget plan….and each month, we have failed ourselves.

I, of course, blame him. (But I’m guessing that he is secretly blaming me!). We each sneak $20 here and there believing that neither of us will miss that small
    amount. With two people dipping into the family funds, it’s no wonder that at the end ofthe month we can’t figure out where the money has gone.

My New Year’s Resolution this year is to get this under control once and for all. I have
    decided that the only person I can control is me, and so between you and I…and the
    computer between us, I’ll let you in on my secret.

I opened up a secret savings account.

In 18 days, I have managed to save $107.45 by following a few easy steps:

Second-Hand Ka-Ching
    I began sorting baby clothes and toys for sale at our local second hand shop. I deposited the even dollar amount and change ($20.45) into my new account and pocketed the remaining $4.00. If I had kept the money in my wallet, I would have spent it without even thinking twice. Now, it is tucked away earning a little interest.

Pay in Cash and Plan Ahead
    One of the biggest fixed costs in our monthly budget is groceries. With a family of seven
    (and one still in diapers) it isn’t hard to imagine that our trips to Coborn’s can become
    very expensive. I went back through our checking account and determined how much
    money I was spending each week. By doing strict meal planning and heading to the store with cash (instead of the check card) and a detailed shopping list, I was able to shave $50 off of the bill each week. I deposited $40 each week into savings and kept the $20 to buy stocking stuffers at the Dollar Store.

Pay Yourself
    Instead of withdrawing money every few days, I decided to give myself a $40/weekly
    allowance. From that money, I also automatically deposited $7 into savings. After the
    holidays are over, I plan on depositing 10% each week into the new account.

I am amazed that I have been able to save over $100 in less than a month. I am
    motivated by imagining the look on my husband’s face next year when we begin to
    discuss the family vacation and I hand him the new family saving's book. Hopefully, when he sees how much money I have been able to save by simply cutting back and putting the extra money into savings instead of spending it, he will be motivated to do the same.

Look out Disney, here we come!
      Posting comments is disabled.

article_tags

Collapse

There are no tags yet.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Financial Survival During Residency by Kristen Math
      by PrincessFiona
      When my husband started residency, the last thing on our minds was balancing our checkbooks. With the stress of q3 call looming over our heads and the challenges of being parents to small children, we embraced the attitude “we will get by”. Of course, it’s true that we all find a way to navigate the financial challenges that arise during residency and fellowship. With the cost of interviewing, moving and medical board exams and state license fees that approach $1000, just getting by can be...
      02-23-2010, 03:42 PM
    • New Year, New Me by Kristen Math
      by PrincessFiona
      The plan was to live as if we were still in training once fellowship was over. My husband and I imagined paying off all of our debt in the first 5 years and accumulating enough savings to buy land, a house in Germany and travel to Disney World each year. Do you see where this is going? Obviously, our expectations were a little high. Because we also are poor managers of money, we haven’t saved a dime. If our retirement money wasn’t automatically deducted each month, we might be looking at a card...
      02-23-2010, 02:58 PM
    • The Bargain Hunters Guide to Christmas Shopping by Kristen Math
      by PrincessFiona
      It's only March 1st, and I’m almost done with next year’s Christmas shopping. I have sweaters for my husband, and a new Christmas serving set for my mom. Hidden away in my treasures are shirts for my dad and step-mom and a beautiful leather-bound Texas Hold’em poker chips set for my brother. I have already picked up some games and books for the children. I even have many stocking stuffers tucked away for St. Nick .It’s almost embarrassing that I’m such a penny pincher. Getting through...
      02-23-2010, 02:57 PM
    • Digging Out: Getting Out of Credit Card Debt by Angela DeBernardo
      by Sheherezade
      In the winter, when you hear the term “digging out” you think of large snowfalls and sore shoulders. Every January, a different kind of digging out begins in households across the nation – digging out of the hole you got into with Christmas spending. For medical residents, that hole can be enormous. With educational debt already high and your time and earning potential limited, consumer debt can seem insurmountable.

How’d We Get In This Mess In The First Place? First of al...
      02-23-2010, 02:32 PM
    • How to Lose Weight, Make New Friends and Get Paid for Doing It by Jennifer Hussey
      by DCJenn
      First, a bit of an introduction. I am Jenn Hussey, and I have been glued to the iMSN site since my husband’s internship year. Yes, another spouse surfing the web at 2am, bored and lonely. Since then, the iMSN family has held my hand through all of life’s great adventures, including the April 2005 adoption of our son Nikolai from Perm, Russia. Prior to the adoption, I had a job that required weekly travel. I did this for two and a half years and packed on about 20 pounds. I worked out wheneve...
      02-23-2010, 02:03 PM
    Working...
    X