Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

She hates the carseat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At what age did you start using the Ergo carrier? I have one of those. I wish she liked the hotsling more. Maybe once she can sit up a bit more? She is almost 2 months.

Thanks for the ray of hope. I told DH that maybe we should pack up the minivan and drive to Miami for spring break. :> Car trips longer than 10-15 minutes are not much fun.

Comment

I told DH that maybe we should pack up the minivan and drive to Miami for spring break.

I would really consider it! I believe that was the turning point for her. I did sit in the rear seat of the minivan so I was able to rub her tummy and make googly eyes at her while she was screaming but we just couldn't stop every 20 minutes or we would still be driving right now. My 3yo was in the other seat singing "Every girl can be a princess. . ." at the top of her lungs. We HAD to get there fast.

I started using the Ergo probably around 3 months. They sell some kind of infant insert now, too. I bought a peanut shell (similar to the hotsling, I think) and she never really took to it much. She would scream after 10 minutes or so. In all honesty, it wasn't that comfortable to me either.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
        I told DH that maybe we should pack up the minivan and drive to Miami for spring break. :> Car trips longer than 10-15 minutes are not much fun.
        Or Kansas for Indian food ....

I'm just not helpful, I know.

Comment

Kansas City might be easier but even that would be a stretch. Miami is over 3,000 miles away.

We're supposed to drive around 3 hours to see friends but I'm starting to doubt that...

Comment

She is perfectly healthy, right? Fair Queeen's story reminded me that our DD had a horrible car seat thing on our trip from Boston to FL. It was living hell. Non-stop screaming, and we eventually had to give her Benadryl.

When we arrived, my dad (pediatrician) took a look at her and told me she had ear infections in both ears. Bad mommy. I thought she was just protesting the ride. She went on to be one of those chronic ear infection babies for her first 18 mos. I think she had 12. (Then, they went away....)

Anyway, just a heads up to check out that angle too. In case you aren't totally doomed.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

She hasn't really been sick with a cold or anything but I'll ask DH to take a peek. My oldest was like that with ear infections and I did the same with her. She didn't have the typical symptoms and I thought she was just having some separation anxiety. Bad, bad mommy.

Comment

It's just separation anxiety - or debilitating pain coming from inside her skull.

Ain't motherhood grand?
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

My daughter went through this to a smaller degree. I think part of it had to do with her having to face the rear. She sometimes quieted down if I held her hand (which made driving awkward). Sometimes, I just let her cry. It is very stressful. She also *hated* being in the car seat when there was no light to see. (In Minnesota during the winter months, this gave us a smaller bracket of happy driving time). Have you noticed that any difference between day and night driving?

I know this isn't much help, but I'm sending blissful baby vibes your way.

Kelly
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Brigham was this way- hated the swing, tolerated the bouncy seat, wanted to be held constantly in an upright position, and did not care for his car seat whatsoever. When he was 6 months old, I couldn't take it anymore and asked our pediatrician for some Zantac- it was the only thing that dh and I could figure was causing him to be so stinkin grumpy. Guess what- poor kid had gastroesophogeal acid reflux and had been suffering for 6 months- no wonder he wanted to be held upright all the time amongst other things.

If nothing else works, I guess you could see if something your eating is causing her discomfort.

I don't know- colic is such a hit or miss thing- good luck!
                    Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Crystal, I think that is why she has such a preference for the bjorn over the hotsling -- she likes to be upright. We have a 2 month check-up coming up. Is being burpy a sign of reflux? She isn't super burby but definitely moreso than my other kids.

I so hope it isn't something I am eating. I had some fabulous Thai food a few weeks ago and that got her attention. No more papaya salad for me.

Comment

Crystal, I think that is why she has such a preference for the bjorn over the hotsling -- she likes to be upright. We have a 2 month check-up coming up. Is being burpy a sign of reflux? She isn't super burby but definitely moreso than my other kids.

I so hope it isn't something I am eating. I had some fabulous Thai food a few weeks ago and that got her attention. No more papaya salad for me.
                        Brigham was very burpy and spit up ALOT, not small frequent but frequent HUGE amounts. I wore 2 sometimes 3 shirts a day. I never could figure out what I ate that upset his stomach. Man once he got the Zantac he was a different baby.
                        Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Papaya salad?!? Papaya salad?!?

That's it. No more sympathy for you. That' my favorite Thai dish. Apparently, it doesn't exist in Ohio.
                          Angie

Comment

Sorry, Angie. Th green papaya salad at this place is the best I have ever had; the flavors are perfectly balanced. And grilled baby octupus (octopii?) with a spicy cilantro sauce. And grilled game hen with...spicy sauce. See a trend? She doesn't like spicy and I'm guessing the fish sauce wasn't a hit either.

Take solace in knowing I won't be having it again for a while.

Comment

No way would I give up Papaya Salad for offspring. A girl has her limits.
                              Angie

Comment

Sorry, Angie. Th green papaya salad at this place is the best I have ever had; the flavors are perfectly balanced. And grilled baby octupus (octopii?) with a spicy cilantro sauce. And grilled game hen with...spicy sauce. See a trend? She doesn't like spicy and I'm guessing the fish sauce wasn't a hit either.

Take solace in knowing I won't be having it again for a while.
                                Yeah I have to agree with Angie. That sounds really good, and I don't think I could find it in my neck of the woods.
                                Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Working...
                                X