Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

public vs. private ( 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I took too long of a nap today and now have insomnia, so I was reading back over this thread and wish I could add a few things to my other posts (edit button?) rather than having to add yet another post (yes, I look like a post-hog ). Most of all I wanted to go through and reply to Claudia's post although I have addressed some of the things she stated in an earlier post of mine....

"Jennifer:

What do you think about sending kids off to college/university at the young age of 16? I know that we could wish all day and all night that more kids did this, and more kids started college at 16, etc. but the reality is that the severe majority of college/university freshmen are 18yo. I know that I felt terribly awkward just entering college at *17* years old. Kids, even college kids, can be cruel and I would foresee the kids thinking who the heck is this genius wonderkid? Then, we get into the entire college/university social scene and while you may be against drinking, kids will experiment and . . .

It just seems as if it would foster some social maladjustment and little peer interaction."

I agree with you that a 16 year old should not just be dumped into a university setting. If I did send my child away to a university at that age I'd make sure it was to BYU because they have very strict curfews, regulations controlling all drinking activity (ie none), no co-ed situations, etc. I think other likely scenarios are the ones I stated in the above post (ie the UNT TAMS program, community college while at home until 18 and then transfer to a large university, travelling, etc.) My husband and I have spoken often about his experiences in college at 16, 17 , and 18 vs my experiences in public high school at the same time period. I would trade quite a bit to have had his experiences! He made it through a non-religious institution at 16 without ever having tasted alcohol, doing drugs, having sex, feeling "ostracized" (he's still in contact with a load of friends from that time-period of his life), or any of the other "normal" problems kids in high school have. I think it's another myth that kids can't function in a college setting before an arbitrary age. As long as thier parents are helping them make wise choices according to maturity levels that is....

"I'm not opposed to homeschooling but I think there are comparable opportunities available out there. A lot of it depends on where you live of course - but if you are in any major/slightly major metropolitan city, surely there is a school there that can accomodate your children. We have 5yo kids who come into the bookstore and they are already reading chapter books. . .a lot of them attend the catholic, jewish, or independent private schools."

There are plenty of private schools in this area - in fact I live only a few miles away from three of the top private schools in the nation! Problem? I cannot afford the tuition. There is a reason they are labeled "rich kids' schools." In fact, I cannot afford ANY private school at this point. Why? Because I am among the poor in this nation. I grew up poorer than I am now so this is nothing new to me. I think I was the poster child for the school voucher cause. Vouchers would be the only way my kids could attend the "top" private schools.

"And re: the "socialization" that occurs in public schools, I think this is an area where a mother could play a vital role in explaining that what the "other" kids do at school is *not* appropriate behavior."

You can explain what is and is not proper behavior, however, if your children are exposed to inappropriate behavior 30+ hours per a week outside of your influence it's going to rub off and affect them!

" I would never, ever wish harm on my kids at all but I think it is important for them to be exposed to the good. . .and the bad. I don't want them to grow up with rose-colored glasses on - how much of the "bad" part of society and people can you show them as a homeschooler?"

Are you saying that I should send my children to public school in order to experience the "bad" part of society? Or are you suggesting I take my kids on a field trip to the local county jail? I know I'm being sarcastic, but I really don't understand this!

"Are you going to drive them through the projects?"

Are you telling me you are going to drive your children through the projects? Have you ever BEEN to "the projects". I grew up in a part of town that was just a few steps above "the projects" - there is absolutely no benefit to putting yourself or your children at risk by going through such areas.

" And how are they going to learn how to interact with *all* sorts of people of different backgrounds, races, etc? You can't exactly walk your children up to a "diverse" person and say "hi, my kids are learning how to interact with all types of people. Could they talk to you for a few minutes?" And these are exactly the type of people that they will be forced to interact with in their future jobs, etc - even college professors! I just see homeschooling as forcing your children to live in this bubble that is not a realistic representation of what they will encounter as an adult. "

I already mentioned in a previous post what my response is to this argument: (1)public schools do not foster "diversity", (2)my children, having never stepped foot in a public school, have friends from about a dozen different "backgrounds" - cultural, religious, and cognitive. In addition my children, by being homeschooled, will be around diversity of another sort that is not allowed in "formal schooling": age. I DO intend for my children to have friends of varying ages and to actually interact with adults of different ages., and (3)once you come to know enough people of diverse backgrounds you realize that learning diversity is essentially learning that people are the same no matter what their background, skin pigmentation, religion, etc. Formal schools don't have a monopoly on teaching diversity - that is another myth.

"I don't view my public school background as one of captivity. It was a rich and healthy experience - fortunately, I had parents who pushed me to excel, and I think that I turned out quite all right"

Fortunately I had parents who also pushed me to excel - and that is the reason I turned out all right as well. Unfortunately we had to drag the teachers, principals, and superintendant along with us - kicking and screaming the entire way! See my above posts for examples.

"I fully intend to enroll my future children in either public or private schools - I wouldn't enroll them in private schools to indoctrinate them with a certain ideology but possibly to engage them more with the arts. "

If you can afford private school and believe it is best for your kids more power to you! Shop around by all means and put your money into what you think is the best education for your children. Those of us who are poor do not have that option for private education. We must either use our children as guinea pigs and attempt to change systems and values that are not good for children's education OR we can choose not to gamble and instead homeschool our kids. Every one of the families I know who homeschools has been poor and has faced this choice.

"I sense another healthy debate here! "

You betcha sister!

Comment

One point before I agree to disagree. . .how long can you protect your children from the real world? Homeschooling, in my opinion, is sheltering them from the real world and exerting too much control over their lives (again, in my opinion). "Bad" experiences build character (I say this with regards to social experiences and *not* academic) - I am *not* implying that hearing foul language on the playground is a "bad" experience or that it builds character - but the other "normal" kid experiences at school that often happen when the parents are not around. If your "diverse" friends and experiences are all hand-picked, how much room for normal child freedom does that allow? Homeschooling creates a jaded, rosy misrepresentation of the real world - unless they do go to BYU, as you said, where they continue to strictly monitor their behavior - and they homeschool *their* children and their children homeschool *their* children. But then look what you've created? You've created exactly what you said exists in the public schools - a self-created clique of sorts.

Comment

Well, that is a good point to worry about, Claudia. You do have valid thoughts on this subject, however, when you look at the first generations of homeschoolers who are now out of college and hitting the workforce they appear to do better than their peers! I had friends who were homeschooled and am married to someone who was homeschooled - none of them have problems functioning in society in the least. All of them benefited from not being exposed to very bad things while their personalities were still in a very impressionable stage.

I'd argue that if you grew up in a "nice" suburb and went to a public school that was "good", or if you went to private school you did not get exposed to the bad stuff. I'd say you turned out OK, though, Claudia - having been sheltered from the truly bad stuff by growing up in a really great area. If you follow your line of reasoning, then your parents did a huge disservice to you and should've chosen a home in my neighborhood, among the working poor, and sent you to a school that had a diverse population of welfare kids, drug abuse, gangs, sex among pre-adolescents, etc. I guess you missed out!

But seriously, Claudia, having now learned a bit about your background through the course of this thread I have to ask what "bad" things did you encounter in school? How did these "bad" things contribute to you being a better person or to your education? I am really, really curious about this because it is your biggest objection to homeschooling.

Jennifer

Comment

Sally,

I have to say that I really have felt at times that the teachers have had a lot of trouble with parents....but I also think that they've been so burned that at times they make assumptions? and any problem that arises is automatically assumed to be a problem with the parents....us moving here was a major adjustment for the kids and my perception of our treatment was that the teachers looked to me first to place the "blame"....I felt sort of shunned and alienated when my daughter was too shy to interact with the other children initially...I think that I developed a sort of negative feeling of not wanting to cooperate after awhile. The attitudes of the educators were/are so obvious...even the librarian here sends these notes home if you forget to send the library book with your child on it's due date...they go once a week for library...and THEY are supposd to be responsible...if we forget, she sends home pre-printed notes with handwritten remarks that are underlined and it makes me so mad that I actually feel like not sending the book back at all....which I of course would never do...it's just that it does seem to me that there is an expectation that children and families fit into a specific box...and if you don't, then you are automatically a "problem". I have so many things on my plate right now and just the little comments and underlined (4 times in red ink) due date of 1 week past due makes my blood boil...I'm human!!!

Anyway, this year has taught me a great deal about teaching as a profession though, and I still find myself in awe of the job that teachers have to do. As much as I have complained about certain aspects, I really do recognize that teachers are really seriously (in my opinion) underpaid and underappreciated....I'm in awe of the job that the teachers do every day.....I have been really considering a career switch but I don't know if I have the patience or the ability to work with children the way that I see my kids teachers working with them....(that would be an honest assessment of my weaknesses here, btw)

I guess I'm just frustrated...Anyway, I can't add much to the homeschooling/private school debate...we've decided to continue with the public schools and add to our children's education where we can.....

Kris
          Time is a Dressmaker, Specializing in Alterations!Edited by: kmmath  at: 4/19/02 3:40:29 pm

Comment

Kelly, what is the method of teaching used in a Waldorf school? I have seen this referred to among homeschoolers on other lists (who homeschool using the "Waldorf" method). Could you tell me about that philosophy/teaching method? Thank you!!

Jennifer

Comment

I haven't been around the boards lately but I really enjoyed reading this thread. I don't know if I can add anything new but I feel like I am in the same boat with most of you. The key is finding the best possible education for our children and for each of us it is different. Whether public, private or homeschooled... I think they all can work if the cirumstances are right!

I admit I was brought up in a small dinky town and I excelled in my classes because I worked hard. I wouldn't say I was subjected to much diversity as far as ethnicity goes. I think there was one black child in my school in 12 years and that was it. I had a pretty sheltered upbringing and grew up with GREAT kids even though we were all of different faiths and backgrounds. I was very fortunate.

I also have been VERY happy with the public school my children attend here in Phoenix. They have done well and I am impressed at how well the teachers know my boys strengths and are willing to help me (i.e. giving me resources to teach comprehension etc.) at parent/teacher conferences. I am somewhat concerned about the "bad" stuff they hear and see in school by their peers. I do think a little bit of that is healthy in that they can set a good example and show their friends that you don't HAVE to say bad words or treat others with disrespect etc. However, I have to agree with Jennifer that if your kids are around it 30+ hours a week, it cannot be healthy and has a negative influence. My five-year old goes to Head Start preschool which has been wonderful as far as diversity (there are only 4 white kids in his class). BUT... they are also on the low economic ladder and I am amazed at the language and the disrespectful attitudes of many of them. You can already see that some of them are not going to go far in the academic part of life because they are not willing to learn. My five-year old has picked up so many words and attitudes that I am constantly battling.

Now that we are moving to San Antonio in the next couple of months (I hope!), I am HORRIFIED about the school prospects. I cannot afford private school so that is completely out of the question. My best friend here homeschools her kids and I have been very impressed with how she has done. Her kids are very socialized. They are in a homeschool organization and they have field trips, fairs where they set up their own booths and even a competitive advertising campaign. Her kids are 10 and 7 (the same age as my boys) and I admire her. She has her kids in violin, piano, soccer, swimming etc. and she has managed it all. Personally, I don't know that I could do it. She has tried to convince me to try it but I don't think I have what it takes to be a good school teacher. This from the person who got a scholarship from the Teacher's Association in my town!!! My boys just approach things so differently than I do that I find that my explanations don't always work for them. I guess I am scared of that much responsibility. I like the idea of them having a school teacher and then me adding to their education. I picture myself being the home room mom, volunteering as much as possible and being a known parent at my kids school. I have done some of that but not as much as I would like with younger kids and doing medical transcription. SO... I am going to try the public school system and see how it goes.

I used to be against homeschooling because the people I knew that were homeschooled when I was growing up were VERY odd and they had no friends. The program has really changed and I think it is wonderful Jennifer if you can do it. I do think there has to be some caution about letting the kids be on their own a bit. My friend is with her kids 24/7. I don't know if that is always good. The kids need to be able to stand up for themselves and their beliefs on their own and not always have mom right there in case. That is the only area of concern I see with my friend's situation. Anyway...

It all comes down to what works best for your child and the environment you find yourselves in. I wish you all lots of luck. I had such wonderful school memories that some of your stories are disturbing. I don't want to see my kids go through that.

On a side note, I found the subject of 16 year olds going to college interesting. It would be a hard transition no matter where they went. Just because a school has curfews or strict rules, it does not mean that they will be followed. I started college at 17 and breaking curfew was part of being rebellious. I didn't drink or doing anything considered "bad" but ... that is my personality. If kids are sheltered too much they will rebel and not handle it well. I saw it a lot, even at BYU.

Robin

p.s. If any of the San Antonio moms can give me insight into which public schools are good or bad, that would help. I have heard to go with I.S.D. schools. Thanks.

Comment

Clearly, we all want the best for our children and each system offers unique benefits and drawbacks. In the end, the ethos of our children remains our responsibility, regardless of how and when they are introduced to "outside influences".

For whatever it is worth, here is my .02. We plan to send our son to a private school, although we haven't decided on a specific pedagogy yet: Christian, Montessori, or Waldorf. Beside minimizing some of the negative influences of society that Jennifer has enumerated, he will benefit from the talents, passions, and experiences of multiple educators and programs. While I am both educated and passionate about my child , I know that I can not possibly provide him with all of the resources, perspectives, and talents that several dedicated individuals could. Moreover, he will benefit from interacting with other children in a structured environment. This socialization will be especially beneficial for our son because it looks like there may be a large age gap between him and his next sibling.

Finally, in regards to the financial aspect of funding a private education, we have spent tens of thousands of dollars on our own education. Sure, private school tuition will hurt the ol' checkbook, but we have spent much larger sums on our own educations. In the end, this is the decision that feels most compatible with our family's needs and goals.

Kelly

Edited by: kmbsjbcgb at: 4/19/02 1:10:02 pm
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Jennifer,

I would love to talk to anyone involved in the Waldorf movement. We had never heard of the term "Waldorf" until we moved to Minnesota and heard parents talking about how much they loved their children's school, which happened to be a Waldorf school. I really appreciate the fact this school endeavors to teach both intellectual and moral development as a critical aspect of developing a child's humanity and place in the world. Our second choice is a Lutheran school (or Methodist school, if any exist here) but we're leaning towards the Waldorf method in order to expose him to a larger pool of thought processes and idealogies.

Anyway, the organization who will most likely be the beneficiary of the second mortgage to my home is :

http://www.mnwaldorf.org

I did a web engine search on yahoo using the term "waldorf" and several links turned up. While there are several great sites discussing the particulars, this one may be of particular interest to you:

wehomeschool.org

I would also recommend:

http://www.awsna.org

Hopefully, this is a good starting point for resources. If you do end up using this pedagogy, please share your thought on the process. I'm new to the Waldorf movement as well.

Kelly

Comment

Kelly,

I know NOTHING about Waldorf schools, but did a search myself and found this site (http://www.waldorfcritics.org) and wondered if you had seen it -- it may be a bunch of baloney, but some of the stuff there (I looked for maybe 3 minutes) was kind of freaky.

I only did a search myself because I read your post last night and didn't have time to click on the link, so I just decided to search myself this morning instead of getting back on here to find the link.

Anyway -- just FYI.

Sally
                    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Sally,

holy cow, thanks for the link...this is so surprising...i have heard nothing but good things...we are scheduled to go to an open house soon...boy do i have questions.

Kelly

Comment

Well, I'm going to visit both the pro and con sites in a sec because I am curious as to what the heck a Waldorf school - private or home is all about. Thanks for the links everyone!

Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                        X