Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Babywearing Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I did the drawings.

I think it's a rare child who doesn't like being worn. I think often moms start trying babywearing later and then don't have the resources to try a bunch of different carriers to find one that works for their child...because the child is old enough to have a preference.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

They also sell a baby bjorn winter cover. It folds up into a little attached zippered pouch. I felt like I could keep the baby as warm in that as I could in the stroller.
      Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Thanks for the sticky and all the info. I'll wait until after she's born to figure out which carrier works for both of us.

Comment

Wow! I'm impressed by the drawings!
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Oh wow - this thread is great! I'm trying to figure out how to put the babe in the moby wrap and keep her warm. My coats don't fit over me and her. I tried sticking a blanket in the front panel part but don't think that will keep her totally warm since it's all open on the bottom. Any suggestions? I tried wearing DH's coat which fit both of us but I looked like a hobo!

Comment

I think I've just gone the hobo route. I have a (women's) coat that's two sizes too big that's been going back and forth between being a maternity coat and a babywearing coat for the past few winters. I've only done it with a Bjorn or a Beco, though.

They do make special babywearing coats, but I've never tried one.

ETA: Shes objecting in this picture just because we're not moving and because we're all bundled up indoors--she always liked this setup once we started walking.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Auspicious; 12-02-2009, 12:03 PM.
              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Julie--That photo cracks me up.

Also, I love this babywearing thread. It is so inspiring.

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I just got an ergo, and Mattie loves to be in it on my back. Any advice on how to avoid leaning forward while wearing her? I seriously think it's just instinct: I've got something precious on my back and don't want to risk dropping her. But I also wonder if I'm maybe not placing the straps correctly or tightly enough so it doesn't *feel* secure enough for me not to do that?

Comment

so, here was my setup for keeping babies warm in the wrap:

WITH baby in front already tied on and wearing a hat, I tucked her head in under the right and left parts going up over my shoulders, so I could look don and see the top ofer head and she could get air, but her head/ears were covered when viewed from the the front. Then I laid a small but warm baby blaket over her back and sort of up onto my shoulders and secured it by loosely tucking each end under the wrap on my shoulders. THEN I put on my winter coat, which was kind of longish, and zipped/snapped only the bottom of it so her feet were tucked under but not squished, and left the rest of the coat open. So it was clear that I was wearing and infant and not just hugely fat, and the front bulge of baby's butt-to-head part was still kept warm by the blanket on one side and my body heat on the other.

Wish I had a picture to show you, but that's the general idea... kept us warm on all my trips walking to the grocery store in Munich falls and winters.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                      I just got an ergo, and Mattie loves to be in it on my back. Any advice on how to avoid leaning forward while wearing her? I seriously think it's just instinct: I've got something precious on my back and don't want to risk dropping her. But I also wonder if I'm maybe not placing the straps correctly or tightly enough so it doesn't *feel* secure enough for me not to do that?
                      Sometimes I lean forward too much if I have the chest belt too tight. And sometimes if I have the shoulder straps too tight as well. But then other times, I just have to remind myself that it's ok, and I can stand up straight.
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                        Sometimes I lean forward too much if I have the chest belt too tight. And sometimes if I have the shoulder straps too tight as well. But then other times, I just have to remind myself that it's ok, and I can stand up straight.
                        LOL. I think it's probably the last option, but I will double check the tightness of the other straps for comfort. Thanks!

Comment

I haven't worn Miya on my back with the Babyhawk yet, but I can imagine that I'll be doing a whole lot of leaning forward, too. I like Michele's suggestion, because I know that when my grandmother used to wear me on her back, she'd constantly readjust the tightness of her straps and complain that she'd have to do that, because I was growing so fast.

Dh uses one of these for his Bjorn on the colder days to keep dd warm:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...+cover&x=0&y=0
                          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Becco's are on sale right now on www.mamabargains.com -- only $64. If I hadn't just bought an Ergo, I'd be buying one of these.

Comment

This has been of great discussion with my family and the ILs. Out of curiosity, what is the best for wearing your baby on your hip/side?
                              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Any recommendations for tiny babies? I think BabyK would love to be worn and I'd feel better shopping with him if I could hold him close but he's below the weight minimum for both of the carriers that I have.
                                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
                                X