Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Babywearing Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No great recs for infancy as I loved my Bjorn. But once you hit 6-7 months I highly recommend the Scoot-a-baby (http://www.scootababy.com/), by far THE best and most convenient carrier I have ever used for an older baby (and I've pretty much tried them all). Good luck!!
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I definitely had DS in the babyhawk when he was close to M's age. But, he loved to be upright. Don't think it is the best for you if she wants cradle hold.
      I agree with the ring sling or wrap suggestions. Something that can do a variety if holds.
      Going to a store is a great idea, have fun!!

Comment

This picture kinda shows my concerns for a newborn in a meitai. The baby's head is poorly supported and newborns lack a lot of postural control that could let them slip sideways in the carrier if the meitai doesn't give them that lateral support.

Here is a wrap with cradle hold.

Here is a link to the central thread on thebabywearer.com with all the shoulder styles for ringslings.. You might have to register at the site (it's free).
        http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=20284

You could always try a different pouch and see if it rubs less. There are a bunch of different pouches as well.
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
          Thank you, ladies. On the MT site, it says the Babyhawk is alright for newborns. But I'll take your word for it.

I think I'm going to go to a baby store tomorrow morning and just try out a bunch of slings. They've got ring sling -- I'm not a fan of them from an aesthetic standpoint, but the chafing is no fun!
          I wore Mattie in the babyhawk to the kid's halloween parties last year (she would have been 1 month old). She loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
            This picture kinda shows my concerns for a newborn in a meitai. The baby's head is poorly supported and newborns lack a lot of postural control that could let them slip sideways in the carrier if the meitai doesn't give them that lateral support.

Here is a wrap with cradle hold.

Here is a link to the central thread on thebabywearer.com with all the shoulder styles for ringslings.. You might have to register at the site (it's free).
            http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=20284

You could always try a different pouch and see if it rubs less. There are a bunch of different pouches as well.
            Mattie was lower in my meitai -- her head didn't come above the material, and then I tied the straps around her back, so she had support.

Comment

I'm no help - we have a Baby Bjorn and I just got a Peanut Shell, I expect to want to wear this one more then I did A just because I'll need my hands for A. I also have one that I think is like a Moby wrap but like the ring slings I always felt it was to much fabric since I'm short and petite. We don't have a baby wearing group so if you do I highly recommend it!
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

hi! Thought I'd pipe up with my one vote for a wrap, rather than sling, though a sling might be nice for the first few months...

My first DD was born in Germany and EVERYBODY has either a bjorn or a wrap, and I had heard so many complaints about the bjorn so I got a wrap (didymos brand, but there are others I know...) I LOVED it, and used it all the time for my DD, even sometimes up till she was about 2 1/2, because you can te it all worts of ways and really adjust it to the growing kid. For newborns theree are sling-style ties, and starting at about 6 weeks there is a really lower-back-supporting tie method (like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2w2b...eature=related) that I used on long walks, in the subway, downtown shopping in Munich... no prob. Here in the States with DD#2 I did get an ergo, which I like for whipping on in the Target parking lot, but if I need to carry any kid longer than 15 min I still really prefer the wrap.

Decisions, decisions, ... hope that helps a bit.

Jenn

Comment

Can someone sticky this? I'll need this info in a few month but will be too brain dead to do the search. Thanks.

I'm assuming that I shouldn't bother getting a carrier of any sorts in the winter and just wait until it's warmer out.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
                    I'm assuming that I shouldn't bother getting a carrier of any sorts in the winter and just wait until it's warmer out.
                    Depends on your preferences, but we definitely wore C under our coats in winter. Sometimes you all need a little fresh air, and it's easier to make sure they're staying warm that way. We both did that the winter she was a newborn, and (slightly less) the winter she turned one.
                    Attached Files
                    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

My favorite carrier is my Inka Storchenwiege wrap and it's way too thick and snuggly to use in the summer so I love when it's cool enough to use it! Like she said, use a front carrier and zip 'em up in your coat.

To be totally babywearing geeky you can get coats that will work for front and back carries, so the babe can have their head out but otherwise you are totally covered in the coat. And they have these traditional Inuit coat/carrier things they use in Alaska.

Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

bump for Vishenka
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I stuck it for her.

Comment

Okay - I've merged the two, so now all the info is in one place.

Comment

Here is the handout I give moms that come to my meetings.

*I also attached them to the first post*
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Michele; 11-21-2009, 09:28 AM.
                              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Michele, did you do all those drawings? The handout is awesome! WOW!

Vishenka, this thread and Michele have been a tremendous resource for me. I finally got my butt in gear and went to a babywearing meeting where I live. We bought one sling before M was born, and it's the one that ended up chafing me up the ying yang. It was terrible. It's really much better to try out your various options WITH the baby to see what you and the baby like.

I've met mothers who say their kid WILL NOT get into a sling. I think I would have pulled all my hair out if it were not for babywearing (sling, bjorn, Babyhawk).

M doesn't have full head control yet, but loves to be able to see things. She hates the bjorn right now because she can't see out. With the Babyhawk, the straps that obstruct her vision on the bjorn are a bit lower, and she can peer out. We're basically counting down the days until she can go front-facing on the bjorn. Dh refuses to wear the Babyhawk and sling.
                                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                                X