Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Babywearing Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Babywearing Thread

A wrap or a ringsling are probably your best choices Mrs K. I'd urge you towards a stretchy wrap for the little guy. Once he gets bigger it won't be comfy cause it'll sag. But for a little one it's great! You wrap it/tie it and then just pull the rails/fabric open and squeeze (not literally) him in. The stretch lets it open enough to get him in, but leaves it snug around him. It'llbe easier to get him in and out when you are on the go. But will/can cover him completely from prying eyes and germy hands. And keep him warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I used a Moby wrap when C was a newborn and it was great once it was on, but it's a lot of fabric to be dealing with and I never liked having the big knot where it was tied.

This time around I got a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch and I'm a bit happier with that.
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I, too, would refer to myself as a "babywearing nerd". I have a ring sling and a Moby wrap. I LOVE them both. I used the ring sling more when she was a newborn and slept 90% of the time. When she started to squirm more (I have a very curious child) I switched to the Moby because it was more ergonomical (I have back issues). She is about 23 pounds now, but I can still put her into it when we are out and I need her to sleep on the go. Or it is also great for exercise walking.

I encourage every one of my pregnant friends to try babywearing (maybe I am even a little pushy about it!). I cannot imagine life without a soft carrier.

Comment

I know this post is really late, but I just wanted to say I love my Ergo too. I used it when my daughter was very small, and I did cave and buy the infant insert. I honestly think it worked just fine. I had a ring sling too and I didn't feel safe having her in there too long.

The great thing about the Ergo is it'll last forever-- through the newborn stage and into the toddler stage. I love getting more bang for the buck.
          Attorney, mom, married to a vascular surgery fellow!

Comment

Looking for something when wearing P. He is 11 months now. I hate our Bjorn, even the one with back support.Love our Belle Baby carrier, but it fell of the face of the earth. I have a Kangaroo Korner pouch, but it is fleece so too warm for him. I want to carry him front, hip, or back. Those Ergos are so freakin ugly, but it seems like that is the only one that does all three right?

Comment

I just got an Ergo and LOVE it - granted R is only 4 months old, but its SO much better then the Bjorn!
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Well I went to the crunchy store today and tried them all on. Still think the Ergo is too ugly, but I did like the Beco, but it's $140.00. Also tried the Baby Hawk and Scoota Baby. I realized that it's not really convenient to carry him on the side like I thought. So I guess Beco it is!

Comment

I loooove the Beco, and I think you can find one for less than 140 online.

ETA: Or maybe not.
                  Last edited by Auspicious; 03-06-2010, 11:45 AM.
                  Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                  Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                  Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

You may be able to find one on the FSOT board on thebabywearer forums. Usually there are used ones going cheaper. Also look into Olives&Applesauce carriers and Kangas. Though my custom Kanga was was more than 140 and took a while to get.
                    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Thanks for the idea. I'll definitely start looking for a used one online.

Comment

I highly recommend the Maya Wrap. Google it - I think they are around $50.

Comment

The only thing about the wraps are that you can't back carry. I think now that R is older, back carrying will be are new position.

Comment

Michelle, do you know about the Boba? That is $99 and it seems to be pretty much like the Beco.
                            Or this Pikkolo: They can be front facing inward or outward, or on the back.
                            Last edited by Chrisada; 03-06-2010, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I just saw the Boba in a magazine. It looks good. You can read reviews on thebabywearer forums. It's been a bit since I was heavy in the know of all the different brands. Especially with the SSCs. It seems everyone has a version these days. They are all probably fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I was thinking about this thread last night. Baby K is going through a don't-ever-put-me-down phase (not that I want to put him down) and forced me to carry him through a museum last weekend. We tried out our hotsling at the zoo yesterday and it was awesome. My college roommate is in town and we were even able to enjoy a nice dinner, with two hands and utensils, because I was able to nurse hands free during the meal. WooHoo!
                                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
                                X