Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Stupid questions from first time mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lily, I'm taking you and Julie up on personal shopping when we're done with training someday - I'm thinking What Not to Wear style
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Re: Stupid questions from first time mom

Oh and I forgot:

6. You don't have to try on baby clothes. If they wear one size, it'll pretty much fit.

I've had dibs on personal shopping from at least Julie, if not Lily, for years. Stand in line girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Vishenka/J, I wear a necklace everyday. That's about the only thing I do for myself... Dd used to yank at it, before I started giving her the "BE GENTLE! It hurts so much when you pull it that hard!!!" And, it's taken some time, but now it's really sweet when she holds the little charms on my necklace, and gently plays with them.
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
          As the childless sympathizer who can find a good bargain, I really wish I could travel around and be everyone's personal shopper. As soon as DH starts making some solid bank, that's what I'm doing for a career.
          Please? I am so tired of new mom (un)chic. However, I did discover something revolutionary, to me at least, the other day. My sister and I swap clothes a lot. We are pretty close in size and with 6 kids between us, one of us is always gaining or trying to lose weight. She gave me a bunch of cute summer tops that are quite billowy. Not something I normally wear. I have a pretty narrow waist and I have always tried to emphasize it, because it is one of my "good" features. So, I put one one of these cute tops. (similar in shape to this, hitting me just above my hip bones) Shazam - you can't see my waist, but my hips instantly look at least a size smaller! So, tunics and flowy tops, here I come!
          Kris

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
            This is so true for me right now! I have just started fitting into my very not-flattering fat pants, and I only have a handful of non-maternity shirts that fit, but not well. (But my maternity shirts are now too big.) I'm not sure when I'll be able to go shopping again, and I only have about $60 total to spend when I do. I stay in my pajamas most days when I don't have anywhere to go, so I can "save" the clothes that fit for when I do. I'm becoming the definition of a frumpy housewife!
            Yep, and Heidi's #6.
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Vishenka, looks like you've bought yourself the role of explaining to us how to dress a mom postpartum and beyond!

With examples!

Comment

Yes please!!!
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Can I get the shopping help service even if I don't have young kids as a reason for why I'm fashion challenged?
                  Sandy
                  Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Do it, Lily! Seriously. I love the help I get at Nordstrom. I find someone that I think has good taste and ask for help.

Speaking of which: what do you think about these? I've got... cankles. They look really comfortable for heels.
                    http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3066711?...=searchresults

Comment

Should I be starting this as a part time job?
                      Yes!
                      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Gladiators do not do any favors for people who have thick ankles. Try something with a longer look to it, like a thong sandal or one with a toe-ring thingy:

http://www.zappos.com/think-shiva-82533-terra-kombi-lack

I would have to see these on to make a call, but they may work: http://www.zappos.com/naot-footwear-...copper-leather

Do either of those tickle your fancy?
                        I like the first one better. As a fellow canckle suffer, heavy shoes just make them more obvious.
                        Kris

Comment

Darn! I was hoping you'd say that the V shape of the straps would be ok with my ankles...
                          I like the first one, too.

I guess I'll just have to wear my Keen pregnancy/mom clogs until I find something.

Sorry to hijack!

Comment

I'll start a new postpartum help thread in the Fashion forum. I've been completely back into my old clothes/shoes for the past 2 weeks, so I'll need concrete examples of the postpartum problem areas prior to giving suggestions.

Comment

Seriously...there are NO stupid questions from a first-time mom! The only scary thing is that by the time you are a five time mom, you might not know the answers any better! (Though you might have lots of opinions!)

Kris
                              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Kris, just knowing that many others have been in my shoes and have some suggestions of what worked for them, helps tremendously.

Got another BF question. Last night DD slept for 6 hours again, I on the other hand kept waking up several times wondering if I should pump or wait for her to get hungry and nurse. In the end I just couldn't wait anymore and pumped. In the future should I just pump as soon as I feel the need or keep waiting so that my boobs can adjust to the new schedule? They get very uncomfortable after 5 hours and hurt like hell after 6. I've also noticed that at night, being in horizontal position promotes milk production. Going same 5-6 hours between feeding/pumping during the day is not as painful. Should I try to sleep sitting up (like in good old prego days)?

Comment

Working...
                                X