Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Possible speech delays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not in a place where I have enough info to talk about this yet, but big group hug. They are going to all turn out fine. (We will be dishrags, but I think that is the whole parenting gig).

I'm going in for a more extensive eval this month with my little guy.

Circle up and hug it out.
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
      Circle up and hug it out.
      That or a margarita....
      Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
      "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I hate that this translates as being naughty. He is two and occasonally naughty but he also can't express himself. It brings out my mama bear. My little guy is awesome and going to change the world. He just needs a bit of help, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
          I hate that this translates as being naughty. He is two and occasonally naughty but he also can't express himself. It brings out my mama bear. My little guy is awesome and going to change the world. He just needs a bit of help, you know?
          I know the feeling. During the home eval DD at one point ran around one of the therapists a few times for fun. It's a game my niece in Tx taught her while we were home last summer. That was noted in the report as unusual body movement/use. Do I just shoot them down and say what I really think "It's a GAME people! That she likes to play. Not all the time. Not even every day!" Or do I sit back and sign her up for all the services they want and get additional evaluations done because she ran around someone? It's not that simple, but all the other Red Flags could be explained just as easy if they had asked.

Comment

Seriously, ignore the people doing the evals. Most of the time they're idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
              Seriously, ignore the people doing the evals. Most of the time they're idiots.
              I seriously want to call up all providers involved and cancel services. I'm mainly talking about Speech Therapy here. When she has tubes and can hear I don't know if she will need it. I'm not sure she EVER really needed it. It's nice that she is using the 4 signs (mine, all done, more, eat) but talking hasn't improved much since we started in early Aug. I'm torn. On one hand I think some intensive ST for a couple months might help her get all caught up. On the other hand I feel like she is a normal kid and will pick up talking at a healthy pace after the tubes are in place. I don't know what to do. They also ordered Play Therapy due to those Red Flags I talked about before.

Our EIP coordinator called yesterday and wants to bump up her ST visits to TWO Visits a week after she gets tubes. I was depressed the rest of the day.

Comment

I don't have any experience with this so take it with a grain of salt but you are a GREAT mom and no one knows your kid better then you do. I would get the tubes and do the first few weeks of therapy if she makes dramatic improvement like you think she will, and I do too, then you can tell them where to stick it and be done with it.

BIG BIG hugs - this parenting gig is HARD!
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Seriously, trust yourself. You, as a parent, know your kid better than anyone else.

The toughest part for me to deal with was all these strangers essentially telling me that my kid was borderline mentallyl retarded (I'm not kidding) and me wondering how the fuck I didn't see it, that I must be the world's worst parent. It wasn't until we got in with a developmental pediatrician that I felt MUCH better. Turns out, the school had given DS an IQ test that required heavy language skills, which they already knew he lacked. The pediatrician was LIVID. He wrote orders demanding a new, different, non-language based test. Kiddo scored in the very high-normal range. School was pissed that they were "wasting time" giving him another IQ test. Wasn't until after it was scored that there was even the tiniest "oops".

Seriously, ignore the idiots. They don't know your kid.

Comment

I have a two hour speech eval appointment set up plus another hearing screen.

Oh fountain of wisdom and experience, what do I need to know?

Comment

Drink. Heavily.

Kidding. Just take what they tell you with a grain of salt until you get evals from medical professionals. Several of the people we dealt with in various districts had no business doing these screenings and I made the mistake of taking their "findings" as gospel. Don't do that, it will infuriate you.

Hang in there. It gets better. I promise. .

Comment

Working...
                      X