Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cloth Diapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloth Diapers

Since we have lots of people here who have cloth diapered, and DrBandMe is researching, I thought we could put all our knowledge in one place.

The first thing you'll want to choose is which type of cloth diapers you want. There are some trial services that send you a package of several types to see what works for you and your baby. Quickly googling, this is what came up first: http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/produ.../tryclothfor10. You put a deposit on the diapers, then they ship them to you to try, and you return what you don't like for credit. What will go into your decision is mostly cost vs. convenience. If you're looking for the cheapest option, prefolds with a separate cover are best. That's what I used since we were in residency. If you're looking for more convenience, you can go from covers that you pre-stuff to all-in-ones, which work almost exactly like disposable diapers, but you just wash them after using.

I only ever tried pre-folds, so that's what I'll write about. If someone else can chime in about the other kinds, that'd be awesome.

What you need to get started with prefolds:
    - 12-24 prefold diapers. Newborns will go through 8-10 diapers a day, so just decide how much laundry you want to do. I'd start out with 12 until you decide for sure if you want to cloth diaper.
    - 4-6 covers. You can re-use these from diaper change to diaper change, but I usually started with a fresh one each day. They'll also get poop on them, and if you have a heavy wetter, you'll want to change covers if the hems feel wet.
    - Diaper pail. I used a kitchen trash can with a swinging lid.
    - 2 diaper pail liners. These are sold where cloth diapers are sold, and they fit the kitchen trash can. Get 2 so you can have a liner in the pail while you're washing the other.
    - 3-6 Snappis. These are what you want to use instead of safety pins. 1 million times easier!
    - Diaper sprayer or spatula. If you continue to cloth diaper, absolutely get a diaper sprayer, but if you're on the fence, you can use a spatula to scrape off the poop into the toilet, swish the spatula in the water, and put it in your toilet brush stand. Be sure to mark it clearly as a bathroom spatula! A diaper sprayer is like a kitchen sink sprayer that attaches to the back of your toilet. You use it to spray the poop off the diaper into the toilet.
    - Laundry detergent. Don't use your regular detergent or fabric softener on your cloth diapers. You need a clean-rinsing formula. I loved Rockin' Green (found on Amazon), and I have friends who swear by Charlie's Soap.
    - 24 (or more) cloth wipes. These aren't necessary, but since I was cloth diapering, it was super easy to do wipes, too. I pre-wet them with a mixture of water and Kissaluvs Diaper Lotion Potion and kept them in a wipe warmer on the changing table. Get these later if you decide you want to continue cloth diapering.
    - Fleece liners. Get these later, too, if needed. My son would freak out when he peed in his cloth diaper. These help them feel dry.

I bought everything except the diaper pail/trash can at Green Mountain Diapers. They have a lot of great information on their site. This is a great place to start: http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/newmom.html.

I skipped the newborn sizes to save money, so I just used disposables until they got to about 10 lbs. I had chunky babies, so that didn't take long.

My laundry routine worked like this. When I was running low, I would take the pail liner filled with diapers and wipes to the washing machine and pour them all in, then put the pail liner in the wash, too. I would start with running a cold rinse cycle. When that finished, I added 2 scoops of Rockin' Green and ran a hot cycle with an extra rinse cycle at the end. Then I dried them in the dryer with 1.5 cycles on low heat. Don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets because it will make them less absorbent. After that, I would put all the diapers back into the liner and carry them to the kid's room, where I would sort and fold them.

When their wipes were running low, I would fill up a little bowl I kept there in the room with some warm water and squirt some Kissaluvs Diaper Lotion Potion into the bowl. I would put all the wipes in there and swish them around, then wring them out a little and put them into the wipe warmer. I used these 2-sided wipes because I liked the soft side for just pee and the terry side for getting off the poop. They fit into my warmer without folding. http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/...ded-wipes.html

That's all I can think of for now. I'll sure I'll come back later and add to it!
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

I think LM covered all the basics!
    We've been using BumGenius AIOs for 2.5 years now. I use Charlie's soap, and I strip with OxyClean every few months. We still use disposables at night. I have a wet bag that clips onto out changing table. Not sure what else...

Comment

We used Bum Genius 4.0 with snaps. I use Rockin Green soap too with a very similar wash routine. I hang dry the covers and dryer dry the liners. See if you have a local diaper boutique nearby because they'll have classes where you can check out the different diapers. Once you get your routine, you'll realize that cloth diapering is nbd.
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot that I hung my liners to dry, too!

I also used disposables if we were going to be out of the house for longer than an hour. If you want to use cloth all the time, you'll want to get a small wet bag for your diaper bag (or just carry plastic baggies).
        Laurie

Comment

No advice, but a friend of mine makes some super cute wet bags! https://www.etsy.com/shop/ThePlaidSc...tion_leftnav_1
          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

We loved FuzziBunz perfect size. We had about 12 each of sizes small and medium. My kids are average size, and the smalls fit from newborn stage and we never needed to go up to size large. We did prefolds too, but I was the only one who felt comfortable with them, and I wanted some one else to change a diaper once in a while

I added a hemp liner for overnight.

Travel wet bags are useful for all sorts of things. Ours are now swimwear totes.

Charlie's Soap worked best for us. I dried liners in the sun whenever possible.

I liked having a variety of wipes. Sometimes the job called for more texture; sometimes a thinner, smoother cloth seemed gentler. I made my favorites from worn-out PJ pants.

My only practical tip for cloth diapering: hold off on introducing solid food as long as you possibly can. EBF poop is NBD, but after that... ugh. I have to admit I quit cloth diapering on my second when he started eating meat.

Comment

I unsuccessful when it came to cloth diapering. Our apartment had a mini washer and dryer that were awful and I couldn't keep up.

Anyway, this thread prompted me to look for the three bigger sized Bum Genius 4.0's I had and I'm giving it a try again. If it's going well, I'll get more. Thanks!
              Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
              Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I gave up too, MrsC.

We were using hand-me-down FuzziBunz, and they worked great. Daycare would've used them, but I wasn't organized enough to get them there, so first daycare got disposables, and then it just went downhill from there.

This sounds so dumb, but my biggest problem was the fact that I had to run multiple wash cycles. I'd forget that I was just rinsing on the first cycle and put in soap, and that would screw everything up... I was tired. I needed more automation, I guess. I don't know. I'll probably try again with our next kid, especially if I end up staying home for a while.
                Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

**following along with great interest**
                  Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I have heard that microfiber inserts get terribly stinky over time. Especially with front loading HE washers like I have and hard water like I also have.

I guess I just don't have any idea what to buy to start out. I don't want to do newborns because I have read and been told the fit is tricky so I think we'll do 'sposies until Tiny T can fit smalls. I was almost 9 lbs and B was over 10 so I'm guessing it won't take our chub o' love that long to get there either.

I like the idea of AIOs and I guess prefolds scare me? Idk...looks confusing.

Day care will take cloth diapers as long as we provide the foot step trash bin and bags. So how many bags should I get, 'cause this mama sure as hell isn't washing one every single night. Maybe every other.

Maybe I just feel overwhelmed with everything in general.
                    wife of a PGY-2 anesthesiology resident & mother of one adorable baby girl

Comment

Cloth Diapers

Our microfiber inserts can get stinky, but a monthly soak in Rockin' Green (instructions on the bag "Rock a Soak") takes care of it. I have hard water and also a HE front loader, I have to do a rinse & spin cycle with no spin to get the diapers good a wet, then that makes my hot wash (w/xtra water) longer based on weight. It's an art. Rockin' Green soap has different formulations based on whether you have normal, hard, or soft water. I wash them every other day. I think we had 28 eventually, but we might've started at 24? We sent 8 to daycare each day. I think we had 4 wet bags (1 for daycare, 1 for home, 1 for being washed, and 1 for ready-for-daycare) I can't remember. Honestly, you'll be fine with 2 bags while on maternity leave and you can figure out your system.
                      Last edited by scrub-jay; 01-12-2015, 07:26 PM.

Comment

How do you all feel about newborn fluff? I was originally against it but I've read more reviews and watched more youtube reviews and feel like maybe my opinion is changing. I really like the few brands that have the snap on the rise to pull down the front enough to not irritate the umbilical chord. Did any of you CD right away? Was the hospital respectful of it? How many NB should I anticipate needing or does that really depend on the weight limits of the particular brand?
                        wife of a PGY-2 anesthesiology resident & mother of one adorable baby girl

Comment

We didn't for newborn, mainly because I couldn't justify the expense at that time, and they poop a LOT. It's also the slick, black meconium at first, which is harder to rinse than regular breastmilk poop. As much as I love cloth diapers, I'd say go the easy route and use disposables for the first week at least. You'll have a lot to keep you busy without the added laundry and longer diaper changes.
                          Laurie

Comment

Well DH put an end to the cloth diapering for us. Said it was too much extra work for me and is worried our HE washing machine can't handle it. Whatever, I'll just stick with the seventh generation diapers, they work well. So I am selling my small stash, most of them never worn.
                            Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                            Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

We did disposables until the cord fell off.

Comment

Working...
                              X