Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Changing Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Schools

If you were going to change your 5 1/2 year old's school how would you go about approaching that with them?

She's been in 3 schools in 3 years and I worry about moving her again(DH is budging)...
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

"You're going to a new school next year. You'll have lots of great new friends. We love the school and so will you! Now, please [eat your peas/make your bed/go to sleep or whatever is next]."

BTDT.

Comment

My oldest did 3schools in 3 years.

I think each time we switched I told her- we are going to go to x school next year. We decided to move you for x reason. We are going tomorrow to meet your new teacher and see your new classroom.
      Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
        "You're going to a new school next year. You'll have lots of great new friends. We love the school and so will you! Now, please [eat your peas/make your bed/go to sleep or whatever is next]."

BTDT.
        Yes this. She'll be fine. Take her on a tour of her new school. We are doing this with two of our kids (they'll be 5 and 12). I just said, "after this year you'll be switching to school xyz, I understand this means making new friends, etc but its what will be best for you and the family as a whole. I know you'll both do great". If you're not wringing your hands then neither with she.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

At As age it really is not a big deal. It's very typical of kids in the elementary and younger age set to change schools frequently. Especially from preschool to kinder--- my dd went to a different preK, kinder, 1st grade, and 2nd grade. All different schools. And it didn't occur to me that it was traumatic for her at all... Because it wasn't. Friendships at that age are not very deep and the schools focus on "we are all friends" and "everyone has a buddy" type of stuff. She will do fine.
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
            At As age it really is not a big deal. It's very typical of kids in the elementary and younger age set to change schools frequently. Especially from preschool to kinder--- my dd went to a different preK, kinder, 1st grade, and 2nd grade. All different schools. And it didn't occur to me that it was traumatic for her at all... Because it wasn't. Friendships at that age are not very deep and the schools focus on "we are all friends" and "everyone has a buddy" type of stuff. She will do fine.
            Yup, what everyone else says and all sorts of this. I think we, as parents, tend to make it a bigger deal than the kiddos. FWIW, our kids LIKE moving and being new. After 4 years in any location, they get itchy feet and are ready to move on.

Making curious and adventurous travelers doesn't suck.

Comment

We had to move our daughter to three different schools in 4 years (due to medical moves) and it was NOT smooth for us. I think every child is different in this situation. I chose DD2's pre-school based on his ability to change teachers but NOT change schools as he aged.

When we moved for (hopefully) the last time we sold it to DD that she will be the new girl in second grade BUT -- this will be her school for years. For A you can use that plus the fact that everyone is new in Kindergarten.
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Well not everyone is new because they start them at 2 at this school but I do see your point. She and I talked about it a little but this morning and she said she would miss her friends, which is what she also says about her old schools. But when I told her that hopefully this would be her last school ever she seemed ok with that. We have to decide SOON because she starts in less the. A month.

Comment

I think you and B need to decide which is the better school and just tell her. If you're going to switch at all, I think it's best to just do it now. It's better than sending her this year, having regrets, and switching next year.
                  -Deb
                  Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

At her age, for all she knows everyone switches schools every year. Hey, at least medical kids are adaptable!
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                      I think you and B need to decide which is the better school and just tell her. If you're going to switch at all, I think it's best to just do it now. It's better than sending her this year, having regrets, and switching next year.
                      I know that is what's killing me, now or not, ACK!!

This is compounded by the fact that the friend who just switched her daughter is the only one I've talked to about switching her and now she has switched her daughter so do I become crazy stalker mom of we do when I had told her we couldn't afford it for this year?

Comment

Absolutely the ONLY thing that matters is what you and your dh think is best for your children and your family, period. Friends, what other people think, etc are meaningless. I wouldn't even put those things into the mix. And you can tell that to your children. I think we as parents put too much importance on friends that will change many many times before they hit middle school.
                        Tara
                        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

friends that will change many many times before they hit middle school.
                          I would say the the groups even shift around during mid to late middle school. Friendship groups are much more malleable than I ever remember.
                          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

We can't make a decision - I don't know how we ever decided to get married or anything else of importance! ACK!!

Comment

Start the pro/con listing. If it doesn't become clear then, go for the lower price bc they must be about equal (or just flip a coin).
                              -Deb
                              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Working...
                              X