Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

For Peggy....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Peggy....

And other moms of teen girls or teen girls-to-be

I ran across this article today and I thought it might make us feel a little bit better:

Challenges in the Teen Years

Dealing with Sassiness and Other Problems

Dr. Dobson Answers Your Questions

Q. My 16-year-old daughter is driving me crazy. She is sassy, noisy and selfish. Her room looks like a pigpen, and she won’t work any harder in school than absolutely necessary to get by. Everything I taught her, from manners to faith, seems to have sailed through her ears. What in the world do my husband and I do now?

The most important thing you can do for your daughter is to “just get her through it.”

A. I’m going to offer you some patented advice that may not make sense or seem responsive to the problem you’ve described. But stay with me. The most important thing you can do for your daughter is to “just get her through it.” The concept is a bit obscure, so let me make an effort to explain it.

Imagine your daughter riding in a small canoe called “Puberty” on the Adolescent River. She soon comes to a turbulent stretch of white water that rocks her little boat violently. There is a very real danger that she will capsize and drown. Even if she survives today’s rapids, she will certainly be caught in swirling currents downstream and plunge over the falls. That is the apprehension harbored by millions of parents with kids bouncing along on the wild river. It’s the falls that worry them most.

Actually, the typical journey down the river is much safer than believed. Instead of the water becoming more violent downstream, it eventually transitions from frightening rapids to tranquility once more. What I’m saying is that I believe your daughter is going to be okay even though she is now splashing and thrashing and gasping for air. Her little boat is more buoyant than you might think.

Yes, a few individuals do go over the falls, usually because of drug abuse or other addictive behavior. But even some of them climb back in the canoe and paddle on down the river. Most will regain their equilibrium in a few years. In fact, the greatest danger of sinking a boat could come from parents!

I’m particularly concerned about idealistic and perfectionist moms and dads who are determined to make their adolescent perform and achieve and measure up to the highest standard. In so doing, they rock a boat that is already threatened by the rapids. Perhaps another child could handle the additional turbulence, but the unsteady kid — the one who lacks common sense for a while and may even lean toward irrational behavior — could capsize if you’re not careful. Don’t unsettle her boat any more than you must!

I’m reminded of a waitress who recognized me when I came into the restaurant where she worked. She was not busy that day and wanted to talk about her 12-year-old daughter. As a single mother, she had gone through severe struggles with the girl, whom she identified as being very strong willed.

“We have fought tooth and nail for this entire year,” she said. ”It has been awful! We argue nearly every night, and most of our fights are over the same issue.”

I asked her what had caused the conflict, and she replied, “My daughter is still a little girl, but she wants to shave her legs. I feel she’s too young to be doing that, and she becomes so angry that she won’t even talk to me. This has been the worst year of our lives together.”

I looked at the waitress and said, “Lady, buy your daughter a razor!”

That 12-year-old girl was paddling into a time of life that would rock her canoe good and hard. As a single parent, Mom would soon be trying to keep this rebellious kid from getting into drugs, alcohol, sex and pregnancy, early marriage, school failure and the possibility of running away. There would be many ravenous alligators in her river within a year or two. In that setting, it seemed unwise to make a big deal over what was essentially a nonissue. While I agreed with the mother that adolescence should not be ushered in prematurely, there were higher goals than maintaining a proper developmental timetable.

I have seen other parents fight similar battles over nonessentials, such as the purchase of a first bra for a flat-chested preadolescent girl. If she wants it that badly, she probably needs it for social reasons. Run, don’t walk, to the nearest department store, and buy her a bra. The objective, as Charles and Andy Stanley wrote, is to keep your kids on your team. Don’t throw away your friendship over behavior that has no great moral significance. There will be plenty of real issues that require you to stand like a rock. Save your big guns for those crucial confrontations.

Decide what the nonnegotiables are. Defend those demands, but lighten up on lesser matters. That may indicate a willingness to let her room look like a junkyard for a while. Close the door and pretend not to notice. I don’t like lazy, sloppy, undisciplined kids any more than you do, but given the possibilities for chaos that this girl might precipitate, spit-shined rooms may not be all that important.

You have to ask yourself this question: “Is the behavior to which I object bad enough to risk turning the canoe upside down?” If the issue is that important, then brace yourself and make your stand. But think through those intractable matters in advance, and plan your defense of them thoroughly. Someday, when the river has smoothed out again, you may look back with satisfaction that you didn’t add to the turbulence when your daughter was bobbing like a cork on a stormy sea.

This advice is not relevant to every teenager. The compliant kid who is doing wonderfully in school, has great friends, is disciplined in his conduct and loves his parents is not nearly so delicate. Perhaps his parents can urge him to reach even higher standards in his achievements and lifestyle. My concern, however, is for that youngster who could go over the falls. She is intensely angry at home and is being influenced by a carload of crummy friends. Be careful with her. Pick and choose what is worth fighting for, and settle for something less than perfection on issues that don’t really matter. Just get her through it!

— Dr. James Dobson

This article was adapted from Complete Marriage and Family Home Reference Guide by Dr. James Dobson with the permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. Copyright 2000 by James Dobson, Inc. All rights reserved. International copyright secured.
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Re: For Peggy....

Fantastic article. Thanks for posting!

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Choose your battles.... That is my motto. I am nervous for the teen years of three adolescent girls! Hopefully, we will have some life preservers for those canoes.

Thanks for reminding me of this focus. We are having lots of battles of wills lately.
      Needs

Comment

Well, I was struck by the razor story because....Amanda and I locked horns on that issue this year. I was trying to prevent her from starting to shave already and it's been a battle. Now I read I should go to the nearest drugstore and buy her a razor

Comment

Thanks Kris! It's always so calming to read a Dobson thing.

So... should I let her just not do her homework? Is that picking my battles??? Sigh...

It seems like sometimes, it doesn't matter if I am determined to not pick a battle. She will find one that must be picked.
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

It is so much harder than I ever imagined it would be, Peggy. I like how he says "define the non-negotiables" and then let other things slide.....it gives me permission not to harp and nag about her room getting messy etc.

I will say that I have been trying hard to focus on what she is doing well and thanking her for it/praising her.....and it has made a difference. (for now I know that just saying that has jinxed me!) Luanne needs to be on 24/7 call for us. :>

kris

Comment

Yes- Where is she! We need some: this too shall pass going on!!! And some more wedding pictures of the grown up beautiful daughters who I'm sure gave her headaches at some point but now look so angelic...

I need to seriously think about positives, and what they may be. I also need to figure out my non-negotiables. At this point, sad for her, getting her grades up in school is pretty much it. If that means pre-algebra for me for 3 hours a night, I guess I'm gonna really really get proficient at fractions and exponents, etc., etc.

I have pretty much let her chores slide, and I haven't been in her room, but she tells me it's "neat" (except for the colored pencils that fell down off her bed and spilled out all over her floor...)

I also have mastered the "hmmmmmm" response to endless requests for new clothes. "hmmmmmmm, we'll see."

But, good Lord, the pre algebra battles. must. stop....
              Peggy

Comment

I soooooooooooooooo feel for you guys. I did choose battles, not always very intelligently I may add. I think I went over a year without going into their rooms. They were responsible for their rooms and their own laundry (did I tell the laundry story?).

Yes, this too will pass, but you will also think that you have died and gone to hell along the way Sorry, I don't mean to be negative, but it will get better eventually.
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Peggy,

I know the "don't bribe 'em" club will disagree...but one way we have really gotten Amanda to get her room cleaned up (most of the time now) is to dangle a carrot. This summer, Thomas offered her a new cell phone (the kind you buy the minutes for) because she so desperately wanted the flip phone. I like her having it (yah, yah, I know...didn't I say "my kid will never have a cell phone? Where is the humble pie? It's great that I can communicate with her when I need to.....and the other day she was on a walk with her friend and her friend twisted her ankle...and they called me to pick them up instead of being stranded..."). She had to keep her room clean for 4 weeks solid...every day......without being reminded. That kid was a cleaning machine. Now, in order to get minutes, the same rule applies. If she wants it recharged with minutes, the room has to be clean every day.

I wonder if a pre-algebra reward system would work? No missing/late assignments for 1 month = a shirt from her favorite store? I know not everyone agrees with this method, but ..... it is working for us with her on those issues.

I may have to come up with something about her asking for help from teachers...

Anyway...feel free to not want to do a bribe the kid thing....I won't be offended...I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Kris

Comment

A side note, now they are both much neater and more organized than me!!
                    Luanne

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
                      Yes, this too will pass, but you will also think that you have died and gone to hell along the way Sorry, I don't mean to be negative, but it will get better eventually.
                      Ohhhh...STOP, I can't take it. What's worse is that everyone I know has such strong opinions one way or the other about every aspect of raising teenies....I don't even know what to think anymore.....Do let them do this/don't let them do this.....

Man...I remember thinking "I can't wait until she is older and we can talk things through, etc". Now I'm just shaking my head at myself. Every day I am humbled and I grow a new gray hair. :>

kris

Comment

I was also a "no cell phone" person until I had to wait for her at bus stops for 45 minutes.... While the kids who had cell phones could call home and say that they were not going to be there for whatever amount of time, because the driver was late, the bus broke down... I do get worried after she's late by about 10 minutes, so... I now like the idea of a cell phone for her.

And so we are trying to give her a cell phone (if she'll ever stop getting grounded ) but mostly for My convenience. I did get a pay as you go that was going to be for me- but since it's a cheapo phone maybe that's the best option- to let her use it. We'll have to see.... My phone is a little bit nicer... (I was going to let her use mine, and then I'd keep the pay as you go, but... I like the thought of a clean room!!!)

Anyway, I'm not above bribery. never have been...
                        Peggy

Comment

Peggy, I just have to interject and say that I love your candor in your blog and on this site about "parenting in the trenches". (Luanne and Kris already know that I adore them). Anyway, I live for you blog (although I do feel my anxieties tweaking after hearing the three of you talk. )

Kelly
                          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Don't let others make you do or feel what you think isn't OK. Only you and your teen can work through this together. I know that there were some moms who probably thought (and still do I'm sure) that I was crazy. There were the ones who shunned me because I (GASP) got divorved. Can I just say that I can think of one who treated me like crap for my choices, and my kids are A-OK and hers are shall we say, NOT.
                            Luanne

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                              ....it gives me permission not to harp and nag about her room getting messy etc.
                              It was when my mom finally let up on nagging me about my room and let it get messy and I realized I didn't like it that way because I couldn't find anything I needed that I became much tidier and more organized.

Of course, it took about 6 months to a year of her biting her tongue and ignoring the mess for me to really realize this...and I did tell the door-slamming story, right? God, I was a brat. Stupid hormones.

If you can stand to let natural consequences assert themselves, that's often the most effective teaching tool. It can take a *long* time, though, and I'm sure there are some people for whom it never clicks, but it sure did for me. Eventually.
                              Sandy
                              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Working...
                              X